After a recent visit to my father, he decided to gift me one hundred dollars, on the stipulation that I spend it on a gift for myself. Now I am rather simplistic, so there is nothing in mind I had lined up, so I am wondering if my fellow AoM members know of anything in particular.
1. I am 23 and have one month of college left, then I must enter the real world.
2. I have a straight razor (b/c someone will post that answer)
3. My fiancee manages a rather meticulous budgeting system which has already paid for all of the parties, plays, movies, dinners, and concerts we/I want to attend for the next 6 mos. (she is amazing, but she may be a financial robot. I have no problem with that).
4. I do not want any more books or music atm, my reading list is massive.
5. I like things to be simple and functional/useful.
6. I want it to be manly and last indefinitely.
+1, you can get a pretty badass knife for $100
Yeah I like that Idea. You can get a really nice Swiss Army Knife for under $50.
a leather portfolio for job interviews
a big chunk off a nice pair of dress shoes.
alternately, a solid, mechanical wristwatch (seiko 5 series for example)
+1. I love my Seiko 5 (It's my first watch) even though it's automatic and not mechanical.
Automatics are usually mechanical self-winders. I make the distinction between mechanical and quartz. If it says automatic (and especially if it gives a jewel count) it's a mechanical watch. My recollection is all the Seiko 5's are mechanical.
Ah, being new to the watch stuff, I thought mechanical solely referred to watches you wind by hand. Thanks for clearing that up.
I have some amazing dress shoes, Aristocraft Aldrich II and Lefler hand made Italians from Johnston and Murphy for formal wear and Biarritz Wing Tips from Ecco, for Casual. A watch is a fantastic idea and a lot classier than using a cell phone to check the time...
If you go with a watch, you can catch some pretty nice deals on amazon right now. They're having a big fall watch sale.
Donate it and feel good on the inside.
This would be a fantastic option if it wouldn't disrespect his intentions, which are to have me buy myself something for myself, because that is something I rarely do. I am on edge for a Leatherman, because I do want a new pocket knife, but I do have others.