Hello Everybody,

After a recent visit to my father, he decided to gift me one hundred dollars, on the stipulation that I spend it on a gift for myself. Now I am rather simplistic, so there is nothing in mind I had lined up, so I am wondering if my fellow AoM members know of anything in particular.

Important information:

1. I am 23 and have one month of college left, then I must enter the real world.

2. I have a straight razor (b/c someone will post that answer)

3. My fiancee manages a rather meticulous budgeting system which has already paid for all of the parties, plays, movies, dinners, and concerts we/I want to attend for the next 6 mos. (she is amazing, but she may be a financial robot. I have no problem with that).

4. I do not want any more books or music atm, my reading list is massive.

5. I like things to be simple and functional/useful.

6. I want it to be manly and last indefinitely. 

Views: 1736

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A knife.

+1, you can get a pretty badass knife for $100

Yeah I like that Idea. You can get a really nice Swiss Army Knife for under $50.  

an e-reader

a leather portfolio for job interviews

a big chunk off a nice pair of dress shoes.

alternately, a solid, mechanical wristwatch (seiko 5 series for example)

+1. I love my Seiko 5 (It's my first watch) even though it's automatic and not mechanical.

Automatics are usually mechanical self-winders. I make the distinction between mechanical and quartz. If it says automatic (and especially if it gives a jewel count) it's a mechanical watch. My recollection is all the Seiko 5's are mechanical. 

Ah, being new to the watch stuff, I thought mechanical solely referred to watches you wind by hand. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have some amazing dress shoes, Aristocraft Aldrich II and Lefler hand made Italians from Johnston and Murphy for formal wear and Biarritz Wing Tips from Ecco, for Casual. A watch is a fantastic idea and a lot classier than using a cell phone to check the time...

If you go with a watch, you can catch some pretty nice deals on amazon right now. They're having a big fall watch sale.

Donate it and feel good on the inside.

Leatherman?

This would be a fantastic option if it wouldn't disrespect his intentions, which are to have me buy myself something for myself, because that is something I rarely do. I am on edge for a Leatherman, because I do want a new pocket knife, but I do have others.

RSS

Latest Activity

Steve Dallas replied to Apollyon's discussion Most foolproof way to stop being lazy?
"Any idiot can come up with ideas. Creative people are those that put in the work which you find every excuse not to do. Creative people have the training from school and other sources to utilize every possible tool. Bitching about school while never…"
1 hour ago
Jack Bauer replied to Apollyon's discussion Most foolproof way to stop being lazy?
"You need to find your lynchpin habit.  What gets you moving?  What gets your blood flowing?  What makes you feel alive? In many cases, there is one habit in people's lives that, if they focus on it, the rest falls into place a…"
1 hour ago
R. Max replied to certified male's discussion Suffering Fools and Idiots
""a need to be right all the time" I feel that a sometimes, sometimes my premise is weak, so to keep from backing down I'll ended up somehow arguing the existence of weaponized turkeys or something. This is not a positive thing."
2 hours ago
R. Max replied to Chu Kim's discussion How to Become Godlike
"Delusion."
2 hours ago
Carl Monster replied to certified male's discussion Suffering Fools and Idiots
"Many men have that competitive drive, a need to be right all the time, and going into battle daily to prove so. In labeling others you are doing the same thing, for in the end who is truly right, who is truly the fool? I have my own principles and…"
3 hours ago
Profile IconEsuni Iqdam, Raymond Cannon, Michael Farrington and 4 more joined Art of Manliness
4 hours ago
Steve Dallas replied to certified male's discussion Suffering Fools and Idiots
"Here I was thinking that a sign of true friendship and maturity was more in line with being able to be friends with a wide variety of people and to be able to stand up for yourself saying that you would like to not discuss a certain topic. That they…"
5 hours ago
Kenneth Cole left a comment for Pale Horse
"Hope you got this message:)"
12 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service