When you think of the "Art of Manliness" what man comes to mind as most closely personifying the ideal set by the web site? Perhaps because of the feel of the site and the use of imagery Hemingway comes to mind for me; but while his sense of adventure, love of sport an fitness and sense of style were laudable, I don't know that he morally represented the site. Ben Franklin definitely had the moral qualities and hard work/yankee ingenuity that represents the site, not to mention a great nose for business, but he wasn't often described as being debonair or stylish. So who else, Francis Bacon, Voltaire, Socrates? Does anyone else have someone in mind who personifies the site?

Views: 2496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I obviously do a lot of thinking about "manliness," and something I've been thinking about lately is how there are really a few different kinds of manliness-es. There's the manliness of a guy like Hemingway, a brilliant writer, a hunter, boxer, and adventurer. But also a man who married 4 times and killed himself. Then there's the manliness of a guy who's a gentleman, a virtuous and faithful family man. There's the manliness of the cowboy or biker, the rebel without a cause, who keeps to himself and walks a road entirely his own. These different manliness-es are rarely found all within the same man; in some ways they are incompatible.

There are a few that come close: TR, Churchill, Lee
Failure better illuminates success.
I want to grow up to be Yevgeny Vasil'evich Bazarov.
1. Alexander the Great. Educated, capable and a great leader.

2. George Washington. A Renaissance man.

3. Teddy Roosevelt. An Adventurer, but also educated, accomplished and a family man.

- Hemingway, who admired Teddy, always struck me as insecure and trying to hard.

4. Dirty Harry. Can we use a fictional character?
As always I vote Harry Houdini.
I second this!
How about Sir Richard Burton? Explorer, diplomat, linguist, writer, etc. He, like most great men, had his shortcomings, but they are far eclipsed by his accomplishments and the interesting life he led.
Thomas Jefferson receives my vote.

Politics: Lawyer (I'll forgive him that one), member of Virginia House of Burgess, member of the Continental Congress, main author of the Declaration of Independence, Governor of Virginia, Secretary of State, Ambassador to France, Vice-President, President.

Science: Botanist, horticulturist, inventor, and several others I can't recall.

Arts: accomplished violinist, architecture, furniture and interior design, city planning

Scholar: founder University of Virginia; fluent in French, Italian, Greek and Latin; avid reader; prolific writer

Other notables: one very good real estate deal (Louisiana Purchase), sponsored Lewis & Clark expedition, was considered an excellent horseman

Negatives: slavery, not very good at public speaking, too sensitvie to personal attacks, emotional affair with a married women, died in debt

Overall a very ambitious and energetic life. And I've just scratched the surface of his accomplishments - I know there are more that I've forgotten.
Maybe we should be asking what values or traits we find most manly, then identifying those that have them?
How about John Wayne?
John Wayne definitely.

Abraham Lincoln? I think so
Anyone who read John Wayne, American would have to agree. It does not sugar-coat his failings, and it showed numerous examples of strong, manly character traits. The character that you saw in most of his movies was an amalgam of both what he really was, and what he wished he was.

RSS

Latest Activity

Darren Holte replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"Just a few thoughts. Why lie at all ? Your deadlines are not your suppliers concern. Every good plan has cushion and contingency.  I.e. your project deadline is july 31st. You need ten thousand widgets in your warehouse by july 15th in order…"
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Portnoy's discussion Latest in Health Care in the group The Great Debate
"One thing I noticed about the entire debacle. In March, 2016, then Mr. Trump released a seven point healthcare plan outline that he wanted Congress to adopt. As far as I can tell, the only parts of his proposals that showed up in either the House or…"
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Specs's discussion I need some work advice.
"Cool your jets.  This hill ain't worth dying on.  Let it slide, but make damn sure your emails actually get sent.  (I had a similar 'went to draft' email situation when I went to Windows 10.  A number, but not all,…"
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Danny's discussion Militaria
"Just don't let the hobby take over and run your life to the exclusion of all else.  You do want to have provenance on stuff.  There's lots of reproduction stuff around, especially since "military recreating" became a…"
4 hours ago
Jay D replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"Were i want to get at is less the lying part and more the part were we put other people under pressure. From the business perspective it makes perfect sense to put people under pressure so they make deadlines so your projects or your company…"
12 hours ago
Profile IconCaberry, Eder Prado, Moses Vandenberg and 9 more joined Art of Manliness
12 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Native Son's discussion Political and Personal Advice from Rome. in the group The Great Debate
"?"
13 hours ago
Michael Hoogkamer updated their profile
13 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service