When you think of the "Art of Manliness" what man comes to mind as most closely personifying the ideal set by the web site? Perhaps because of the feel of the site and the use of imagery Hemingway comes to mind for me; but while his sense of adventure, love of sport an fitness and sense of style were laudable, I don't know that he morally represented the site. Ben Franklin definitely had the moral qualities and hard work/yankee ingenuity that represents the site, not to mention a great nose for business, but he wasn't often described as being debonair or stylish. So who else, Francis Bacon, Voltaire, Socrates? Does anyone else have someone in mind who personifies the site?

Views: 2519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said Zach. So often in my life I've been disappointed by people that I have looked up to. But I have come to realise that although I can learn a lot from them, they are still human and still make mistakes.

However, if I look at the character of Jesus I realise that he is so much more than just the friendly guy with the beard as illustrated in my old children's Bible. He lived life the way it was meant to be lived. For me he not only personifies Godliness, but also manliness.
Couldn't have said it better if I tried. Thanks for reminding me why I love Christianity!
What's exciting to me about him is that ... right this very moment ... there is a Man seated on the throne of the Majesty on High.
Theodore Roosevelt!
Bully :-)!
"Hemingway does fit many of the themes this site represents, but let's not forget that he killed himself."

Certainly, this statement depends on your personal leanings.
I have to respectfully disagree with this to an extent. Making a choice to end one's life on one's own terms is not necessarily unmanly. It's not necessarily wimping out or being unable to tough it out, though there are times when that certainly is the case. I've known people who have ended their lives as a result of severe depression, and while it is sad, I certainly can't blame them for succumbing to an illness any more than I could blame a cancer patient for dying from their illness. But, I've also known of people who have chosen to end their lives as a matter of dignity. Faced with what they considered to be an undignified death, they chose to end things on their own terms, for which I have a certain amount of respect.

Yes and leaving the clean up for the children -very thoughtful.

And Will, you are doing a helluva job. For a minute, I thought he was among us again... LOL.
Where is robot_fighter?
Sir--
Franklin fits. "Debonair and stylish" in his day were not the attributes of a serious gentleman of character. Teddy Roosevelt and Teddy, Jr. fit. Both put it on the line, and TR did have the laudable ability to laugh at himself. But for style, unappreciated wit, a phenominal amount of self control, and wholly underrated ability to learn, adapt, and suborn personal desire for the public good, George Washington.
Nathan Bedford Forest and Robert E. Lee.
And if I may add, Franklin did not much fit the archetype. While Ben Franklin was a great Man in many ways, he was an absolutely horrible husband and Father. He was an entirely absentee parent until his illegitimate son was a grown Man, ( The boy was in his twenties already at the time of the great electrical experiment so often referenced.) and sadly, Ben Franklin was utterly dismissive of his wife and daughter.

RSS

Latest Activity

Adam Keynes commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"Recently I was hired to do some work of a rooftop, some painting, cleaning and the like. I arrived the day in which I had agreed to start with the owner and put on some working clothes but no shirt. He didn't say much and showed me to the…"
1 hour ago
Caberry replied to MMA_Erik's discussion Hello Gents :)
"Hello @Erik nice to have a chat with you here. I am also a newbie here. :)"
4 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Naveen's discussion I am searching the AOM Article about William James / Fake it till you make it
"I found this one, on William James:http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/01/14/manvotional-3-maxims-habit-action/ And Brett did an article and video on "Fake it till you make…"
6 hours ago
Jay D replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"It is not about deadlines it is about the question how we treat a person and the capitalistic logic expects us to treat them based on what their value for the company is and to increase the value they generate for said company. The big problem with…"
14 hours ago
derick bean posted a status
15 hours ago
Naveen posted a discussion

I am searching the AOM Article about William James / Fake it till you make it

Hi,There is a terrific article about William James Psychology and his concept about "Fake it till you make it". Act as if you already are confident. I cant find on google, here nowwhere. Anybody has read it lately?Best regards,NaveenSee More
15 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"Pleasure would state that said tense would lack aught of the prototypical. Fortune would state also that there would exist a certain settlement about the State of the Sole Star which would exist apropos for such an adjective."
18 hours ago
Braeden 2.0 replied to Gentleman Engineer's discussion Barcelona About October
"I'm very good at impersonating other people's writing or speaking."
19 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service