What is your manly way to cheer up when you are sad?

Title says it all, i hope there is actually something :) And it doesn't have to be manly in the way that you wrestle with some bears, any ways counts. I don't even know why i put that there, just sounds better i suppose.

Views: 2338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you David.  Some times the best thing to do is get up and walk it off or work it out.  A dear friend once told me she had never been depressed. If she felt herself getting down or depressed she would get out and walk and think about why she felt that way along with reminding herlsef all of the blessings she had in her life.  Often we focus on what we don't have or what is not going right in our lives and we forget what is going right for us.  Praying is just a simple conversation between you and God. Talk to God just like you would talk to your best friend or you father.  Nothing you say will shock him or be wrong. If you are upset, angry, sad then just tell God that. Ask him to help you understand it.

I shave. Sounds crazy, but a quality shave with straight razor, brush, and a good soap is a way to reflect upon your troubles while symbolically (and literally) cleaning yourself up. When I got fired for the first time in my life (This last New Years Eve, no less. A shitty end to a shitty year), the first thing I did was go home and shave. Then carpet-bombed other employers with job applications. I got a callback and job interview the next day.

Thanks your story cheered me up. I think it is time to learn real shaving then, i allwayse use the electric one. On the other hand there is not a real beard growing yet.

Great idea. 

Not sure if manly, but I love to draw when upset. 

Really? I love drawing, i never tried it when being sad. I will try it tomorrow! Also drawing is manly imo.

Wrestling bears may be a bit extreme, but in general, exercise has been shown in recent psychological studies to enhance mood and reduce the risk of chronic depression.  Exercise releases endorphins, which acts both as a natural pain reliever and mood enhancer, and boosts testosterone, which is the man hormone that among other things reduces depression. The uplifted mood after a hard workout is sometimes called the "runner's high."  Find something physical to do.  Go for a run.  Shoot some hoops.  Take up martial arts.  Some of my best pick-me-ups have occurred after an hour of taekwondo.

+1. Usually, if I have a fight with my fiancé or some other similiarly disheartening circumstance, I hit the weights. I almost always break my max if I'm upset.

Thanks. I sadly can't go to the gym anymore, it is too far away. I guess i have to find something here. I wanted to take up home exercising but i'm not getting far on this right now. 

Check out http://www.7weekstofitness.com/.  It includes several free bodyweight programs that you can try, and some more detailed books which can be purchased at Amazon.  To view the free programs, you'll have to register, which is also free.  The 7 Weeks to Getting Ripped is a good full-body program that you can do anywhere and only requires a place to do pull-ups.  At the end of each workout the book prescribes come cardio - just do whatever you like to get your heart rate up - running, shadowboxing, whatever.

Depends on whether I'm irritable because of a genuine problem, or because I'm just ornery at the moment.

If there's a problem ... draw up a plan to fix it.  Execute.  Taking action always makes me feel better.

If I'm just being prickly -- pop-a-top, eat something, relax for a while, maybe partake in a little alone-time with the wife ... and it'll wear off.  Nothing a meal, a lay, and a good night's sleep can't solve.  I'm putting up a heavy-bag in the garage this month.  That'll probably make the list once installed.

JB

Good advice!

RSS

Latest Activity

Braeden P.D. replied to certified male's discussion Suffering Fools and Idiots
"I work at Panera. People frequently come in and ask for sugar free pastries or gluten free bread. Today a guy asked if we carry burritos. I've also been asked if we have pizza a few times. Also fries on many occasions. People will also complain…"
8 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to certified male's discussion Suffering Fools and Idiots
"I think our intelligentsia is full of fools."
9 hours ago
Vendetta replied to Christopher Chmiel's discussion I want to grow a beard
"I've never been able to make it past that phase....But my brother has!"
13 hours ago
Christopher Chmiel replied to Christopher Chmiel's discussion I want to grow a beard
"Okay, I ordered a hog's hair brush today, I can't stand the bummy look, kinda makes me want to trim it off... But on the other hand I already got so far."
13 hours ago
Young'un replied to certified male's discussion Suffering Fools and Idiots
"Every one of us. We've all been foolish at some point. And I can think of one solution to this problem of fools and idiots: Education. Invest more in that, both monetarily and culturally, and there will be fewer so called idiots and fools to be…"
14 hours ago
Young'un replied to Max Z's discussion Not enlightened enough...
"Personal recommendation is to start with authors that will help you become a better learner. In my short experience, half of being enlightened is the ability to pull information from a subject that is not simply what was written, i.e. understanding…"
14 hours ago
jwhitfield71 joined James Machamer's group
Thumbnail

Freemasonry

A place where many good and worthy fellows can discuss all things Masonic.
15 hours ago
Young'un replied to David R.'s discussion Good marriage + Good friend
"Yes, I have a few friends like this, though some are quite distant geographically. no, it doesn't interfere with my marital life, though i also make it a point to say to my friends that sometimes I need to spend time with her and I can't…"
15 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service