Transferring to a 4 year Uni in January and i'm not sure on what I want to do, like technology and am pretty good at working around a computer. Thinking of majoring in IT, does anybody know if those career tests you take online have an accuracy at all?

Views: 1612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just because you haven't been able to do something useful with the liberal arts, does not mean that liberal arts degrees are useless.

Maybe it is you who are useless.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/01/27/what-is-libe...

I have a job to be sure, my degree has few options of moving forward. Have you considered the degrees are outdated?  This isn't to say that English degrees are "useless" if you have a career path in mind like teaching or some form of writing.  Law things like that. 

You're comment to my usability is appreciated, load to see there continue to be helpful men on these boards.  Seems to eb a disconnect to the articles on the site and the forums. 

Vytautus--

What I've seen happening with the Liberal Arts is not that the degree, per se, is unusable, but that employers do want evidence of a usable skill set, and a lot of folks are rather poor at presenting the quite useful skills they acquire in college.  Aside from career fields that require certain certifications or degrees, many of the research and "briefing/writing" skills required for success in college are immediately transferable to the job market.

That said, it is not a bad idea to combine coursework in a "practical" field with studying what truly interests you.

Where I've seen the problem is that folks get clobbered in the first "sort" because either their resume only emphasizes the subject matter (A HR department isn't going to be floored by a resume that lists the sole accomplishment as a degree in 19th Century English Literature). 

A "practical degree" may not be a good indicator of success, either.  Over the years, I've seen far too many MBAs who have virtually no experience in actual business operations, and enough computer types who simply were unable to understand that what takes moments for one person to do on a PC takes a couple of crews, working together, several hours to physically set up or alter.

Not done a lot of thinking about what I want to do with my life? I have been doing that ever since I was 15. I don't want to get stuck into some shitty job that I do not enjoy. The community college that I have attended for a year and half does not have any intro classes into these fields besides the extremely general (Biology) type classes. I am actually ahead of where most of the same people my age are, I will technically be a junior next semester but I cannot stay at my community college because I have nothing else I can take. I have gotten all of the classes out of the way for a "general studies" degree and there is nothing left to take that would help me figure out for sure what I want to do. I am considering just doing what you said at the 4 year university and taking 3 or 4 introductory courses into some of the fields I am interested in and maybe getting caught back up on math and going from there. 

Be careful about how you hit college.  You need to "pad" your schedule with "filler" classes throughout your term to maintain your GPA.  If you take nothing but the classes in your major you might tank out from overload.  This is especially true in Engineering and Science classes.  

The first filter is your GPA.  The stacks your employer will set your resume into will be as follows.  1 At or above 3.5, 2 Below 3.5 to 3.0, Trash below 3.0.  After that first filter they will look at you.  It is simple and easy and that is what they do.  So maintain your GPA also.  They really don't care if you took 4 years or 5 they want the GPA in the major they are looking for.  

I'm sorry to hear your local community college is such a pit.

Technically, at this point you should actually be almost in possession of an Associate of Arts or Sciences Degree.

BTW, where did you get the idea that introductory classes in any field are anything but "extremely general" in nature?  

do a google search, pretty much answered on teh first hits.

Sustainable energy, engineering, comp sci(what I'm going back for), software, systems management.  The human body has limits on how much it can work, labor can only go so far before your body is beat up. The mind can create something that works while it is asleep, you can work longer than a person who does labor.  You can make more money, you use that money to icreate other projects, don't be a businessman, be a business, man. 

Anything involving the word 'Informatics'.

I would imagine the accuracy of the tests would depend on how much the site owners were willing to pay a psychiatrist.

You should choose whatever subject matter makes you happy and that you enjoy--IT happens to be a rather good field to into. Computers are the future my friend, and they have stayed that way from the last 30 years until now and still going strong.

Gentlemen,

Either the OP has been extremely ill-served by the counseling staff (if any) at the high school and two year school attended, or he really does think a social site will give him a definitive academic and career path.

Either way, he does seem to be protesting a bit too much, and if his posts are correct, he has managed to attend a two year academic program without encountering any introductory or lower division prerequiste courses in any of the fields he's in which he's expressed an interest.

That is actually easy to do.  I did it for a while myself.  We have so many stories in our culture of the sudden "moment" when things "Snap in to place" and "the path becomes clear".  If you absorb the lore of the moment then you wait for the moment to happen for you.
We don't talk about the slow steady build up and hard effort that pays off.  It does not fit in a movie patterned script or the TV show blurb.  I read somewhere that being an overnight success takes 20 years.

That is part of the problem we ask what people "want be when they grow up", but not the follow up of "So how do you get there from here?"

RSS

Latest Activity

Regular Joe replied to Pete's discussion How do I address my friends parents.
"Agreed."
10 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Pete's discussion How do I address my friends parents.
"I'm French Canadian so it's Mr/Mrs by default. Despite being very close to my in-laws, that's what I still call them.  As far as your friends' parents, I'd stick with Mr/Mrs unless the say otherwise. Let them make the…"
10 minutes ago
Paul commented on cc's group The Art of Manly Body Modification
"Sup guys. 20 year young sailor in Japan, keeping the longstanding tradition of tattoos going. Currently got the "cock on the right", and working my next few bouts of ink including an upper back mural I'm laying out. Joined to get some…"
26 minutes ago
Stein replied to Pete's discussion How do I address my friends parents.
"I think it just depends on your relationship. It would not hurt to ask them how they feel. I used to get called by my last name by some of my friends parents . Hopefully they recognize you as an adult and will welcome the change."
26 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to David Johns's discussion Toilet seat
27 minutes ago
Paul joined cc's group
Thumbnail

The Art of Manly Body Modification

I've been thinking about this kind of group for a long time and I'd like to share my own stories along with other people's stories about their body modification experiences. Please keep it clean and use only acceptable responses.
31 minutes ago
Paul replied to Pat's discussion 50-year-old wrestler back on the mat
"My coach in high school was in his 70's and cleaned house on my buddy's and I routinely. "
41 minutes ago
David Johns replied to David Johns's discussion Toilet seat
"Man, you sure gave me a nice chuckle to start the day!  Thanks, man!"
44 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service