What gift do I get my wife when she gives birth to our first child?

I've been told to bring my wife a gift in the hospital when she gives birth to our first child. I want to get her the right gift to thank for carrying our child. Does anyone have any input on an appropriate gift? Thanks in advance.

Tags: Baby, Dad, Daughter, Father, Gift, Husband, Moustache, Mustache, New, Son

Views: 18435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a man of not much talent with building stuff, i found that i have a little bit of talent!

My best mate and his partner had a child and i whipped this up for them while they were in hospital and gave it to them when they arrived home! the baby came 2 weeks early! i though i had time!! still looked great!

It was a box for Isla, my friends daughter. the bottle is a good drop of vintage port to be drunk when she is old enough (we are big port drinkers) and the paper was from the day she was born. lets just say my friend almost fell of their chair when they saw it! they very much appreciated it.

Wow!
My first gift was a bottle of champagne....Honey, you can drink again!
We still have the cork.

She'll get snake eyes if she's drinking alcohol and nursing.

I do remember her enjoying the taste again, but yes, she couldn't go crazy as we discovered we had a "barracuda" baby.

Give her a membership to Weight Watchers. That'll make a memory...

Seriously, though, when is she due? Give her a small piece of jewelry, perhaps a charm and the matching bracelet, which contains the birth stone for the baby. If you have more children, you can add to it.

After childbirth, she's going to be flooded with hormones and drugs...the birthstone bracelet will be a constant reminder of a fond memory, once those chemicals wear off.

OK, now.  First off, flowers (if hackneyed) always seem to be appropriate...just don't buy them at the hospital gift shop on your way to take the spouse and heir home.

First off, who told you to give her a gift? I wouldn't go with offering to clean the house or life insurance. Some of that stuff, if needed, you should be doing anyway. Making it a 'gift' is kinda sad.

How much are you able to spend? My father brought something to the hospital every time he came into my mother's room (women stayed in the hospital longer then). I don't think any of them were expensive 'gifts' like jewellery or anything. My sister remembers the room being filled with small stuff for me and my mother when I was born (she being the oldest doesn't know what he did when she came along). I think my father gave my mother a small stuffed toy when my sister was born (it came from our family shop, he didn't have much money in those days). 40-odd years later and my mother still puts it on the Christmas tree.

If you work I wouldn't offer to clean the house either as you are going to be very busy for the first several months even at night.  However, I would look into a house cleaning service so she's not working her @SK off daily while breast feeding at night.  Also, volunteer for some of the night shift if she can bottle her milk, it's a great way to bond with the little one (and its a hell of a rush holding them while they feed).  That's how I nicknamed our little one "Bug" (a contraction of Big Guy) when I was half asleep feeding him.

There are lots of child and heart pendants out on the market.

The best gift you can give her is love and care.

RSS

Latest Activity

N. Vest replied to Pale Horse's discussion Study Shows Men With Inhuman Eating Habits Have Trouble Making More Humans in the group The Great Debate
"NSFL"
3 minutes ago
N. Vest replied to Pale Horse's discussion Study Shows Men With Inhuman Eating Habits Have Trouble Making More Humans in the group The Great Debate
14 minutes ago
Penelope replied to Vince's discussion college:problem with procrastination
"Study 2 or 3 subjects at a time, beginning about 45 days before the exam on each subject."
2 hours ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"Of course it's necessary. Even kings have court jesters."
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Nick's discussion Th lonely life of full-time pastors
"If the congregation doesn't think that pastors have their own problems, then that's an issue with the congregation, not the pastor. From what I gather, much loneliness for pastors comes from the problems created by being both close friend…"
3 hours ago
Will replied to Nick's discussion Th lonely life of full-time pastors
"I would imagine a big problem would be that your foibles will be front-page news on the gossip circuit.  But:  do people really expect perfection? Maybe some sort of confidential group?  In such a case, with everyone's foibles on…"
4 hours ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"There's a mental image I could have done without."
4 hours ago
Will replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"Gee, thanks, Rick (I'm kidding):  next time I hear "Talk to the hand" I'm going to say, "Eewwww!" :o"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service