What gift do I get my wife when she gives birth to our first child?

I've been told to bring my wife a gift in the hospital when she gives birth to our first child. I want to get her the right gift to thank for carrying our child. Does anyone have any input on an appropriate gift? Thanks in advance.

Tags: Baby, Dad, Daughter, Father, Gift, Husband, Moustache, Mustache, New, Son

Views: 18585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a man of not much talent with building stuff, i found that i have a little bit of talent!

My best mate and his partner had a child and i whipped this up for them while they were in hospital and gave it to them when they arrived home! the baby came 2 weeks early! i though i had time!! still looked great!

It was a box for Isla, my friends daughter. the bottle is a good drop of vintage port to be drunk when she is old enough (we are big port drinkers) and the paper was from the day she was born. lets just say my friend almost fell of their chair when they saw it! they very much appreciated it.

Wow!
My first gift was a bottle of champagne....Honey, you can drink again!
We still have the cork.

She'll get snake eyes if she's drinking alcohol and nursing.

I do remember her enjoying the taste again, but yes, she couldn't go crazy as we discovered we had a "barracuda" baby.

Give her a membership to Weight Watchers. That'll make a memory...

Seriously, though, when is she due? Give her a small piece of jewelry, perhaps a charm and the matching bracelet, which contains the birth stone for the baby. If you have more children, you can add to it.

After childbirth, she's going to be flooded with hormones and drugs...the birthstone bracelet will be a constant reminder of a fond memory, once those chemicals wear off.

OK, now.  First off, flowers (if hackneyed) always seem to be appropriate...just don't buy them at the hospital gift shop on your way to take the spouse and heir home.

First off, who told you to give her a gift? I wouldn't go with offering to clean the house or life insurance. Some of that stuff, if needed, you should be doing anyway. Making it a 'gift' is kinda sad.

How much are you able to spend? My father brought something to the hospital every time he came into my mother's room (women stayed in the hospital longer then). I don't think any of them were expensive 'gifts' like jewellery or anything. My sister remembers the room being filled with small stuff for me and my mother when I was born (she being the oldest doesn't know what he did when she came along). I think my father gave my mother a small stuffed toy when my sister was born (it came from our family shop, he didn't have much money in those days). 40-odd years later and my mother still puts it on the Christmas tree.

If you work I wouldn't offer to clean the house either as you are going to be very busy for the first several months even at night.  However, I would look into a house cleaning service so she's not working her @SK off daily while breast feeding at night.  Also, volunteer for some of the night shift if she can bottle her milk, it's a great way to bond with the little one (and its a hell of a rush holding them while they feed).  That's how I nicknamed our little one "Bug" (a contraction of Big Guy) when I was half asleep feeding him.

There are lots of child and heart pendants out on the market.

The best gift you can give her is love and care.

RSS

Latest Activity

Lucas Fialho replied to Niko's discussion Greetings from Germany
"Welcome, Man, and my Salutions from Brazil! Just one curiosity: Does Germany have an army? T thought its was dismissed since World War II"
38 minutes ago
Karl Helweg commented on Mark's group Spaceflight Fanatics
39 minutes ago
Davis posted a discussion

Not receiving alerts for discussions I'm following

Since, October 28, I've not been receiving alerts in my e-mail box for discussions I'm following on AoM. I've checked all the possible settings for my AoM account but have, yet, been able to figure out how to reinstate those alerts. I've also checked my e-mail account settings, but nothing I've attempted has fixed the issue.Any thoughts or suggestions, Gentlemen?DavisP.S. I'm able to receive messages from AoM members within the web site of AoM, but that is the extent of it. Thus, I have to log…See More
1 hour ago
Elon Erani left a comment for Mike Joseph
"Greetings & salutations, Mike Joseph. Elon"
1 hour ago
Hank posted a status
"Happy Halloween Men!"
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Paul_of_TX's discussion 2014 Midterm Elections in the group The Great Debate
"Same Stuff.  Different Day.  Nobody seems to be running with a radical agenda. "
2 hours ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

Josh100LuBu - Such A Powerful Photo!

"Thank you Lucas, well I am a Lord perhaps I should get a sword. Please take a look at my photo page, I love taking photos. https://www.flickr.com/photos/josh100lubu/"
2 hours ago
Lucas Fialho commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

Josh100LuBu - Such A Powerful Photo!

"Nice photo, looks like some kind of baron, maybe with a sword this photo would look even cooler."
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service