What are some things you guys do that make you feel like a man?

Views: 3329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hiking, shooting, fishing, hunting, camping, lifting weights and exercise in general, karate practice, holding a sword, my pocket knife and EDC kit, starting a fire, intimacy with my wife, taking my boys out for an excursion, being protective of my daughter, working as a trustee on projects for the Church, being part of the Sons of the American Revolution, being a member of AMVETS, being in a Deacon meeting, reading military history, reading biographies of men I admire, shaving and using a shaving mug, doing my job at work (I maintain radars and their associated LANs and data links), road trips, boat handling, building or fixing something, praying to God.  There are so many things...

Being with my older brother.

Hearing my dad tell me he is proud of me.

Taking a stand on a controversial subject, regardless of the popularity of my position.

Feeling alone in a world of metrosexuals and effeminate males.

Love all of these, but the last one in particular.  :)

You're not alone, trust me many of us feel the same way.

Hell, I feel alone in the world of males, effeminate or not.

"Mama said to knock you out".

Man don't think so much....

Raw manliness:

- Growing a beard. I've had plenty of stubbles and a couple short beards before, but I'm currently growing my first "serious" beard. I used to just let it grow on its own and shave it all off when I felt like it (with the occasional neckline shave, and the longest I let it grow for was about a couple of months), but now I'm investing on grooming products, such as barber scissors and beard oils.

- Working out. Building my body makes me feel that raw, wild manliness like nothing else. Being physically strong (truly, naturally strong, without any of that roid bullshit), and just the pure act of exercising and exerting your limits, has a great effect on the mind and makes you feel ready to take on anything.

- Drinking beer. A nice pint of ale has the magical power to add a few hairs on anyone's chest.

Moral manliness (I don't claim to always do these without fail, but I try my best):

- Being truthful. Hiding behind lies shows you're not strong enough to stand for and take responsibility for your actions and beliefs.

- Being humble. A true man knows that, while he should stand up for himself and have his due self-respect, he is not perfect. He always takes any opportunity he can to learn new things about any aspect of life, wherever these lessons may come from. Likewise, he knows that he should admit his mistakes and learn from them.

Good list.  I had a beard for about 5 years (after getting out of the military).  I kept it trimmed, but in retrospect it did feel manly.  I still sport a mustache and have since I was 16 years old.

Doing anything for my Fiancee that makes me feel like I'm providing for her. Buying her engagement ring, and furniture for our new house gives me that bread winner feeling that's really important to me. 

Mowing the lawn, watching football, playing football, hiking in the woods, having facial hair/stubble, changing a flat tire, working hard at your job, jogging/exercising, taking responsibility, etc.

In no particular order:

- Getting up early 

- Cold Showers

- Touching gloves with a guy immediately before a sparring session

- Touching gloves with (and almost tearfully hugging) a guy immediately after a sparring session

- Having fixed something around the house - I cannot claim many white collar skills, and when it´s a technological issue that would drive me nuts I am happy to call someone, but when it comes to plumbing, painting and carpenting, I am an eager learner and always proud, when I have solved a problem myself. 

- Hanging out with my best buddy - there is just something about the company of a true friend that is impossible to beat

- Developing a new skill - I am not talking about live-changing stuff here, but I just enjoy the feeling of learning that I was capable of something I had no idea about before. 

- Looking back on the day and feeling that I have accomplished something (no matter how mundane)

I suggest working out, working with tools, hiking, reading manly things (I like sports books and biographys), collecting something nostalgic (pocket knives for me), watching sports, being with family, helping with chores to give some relief, and straight razor shaving. That's not even touching on the moral aspects which, for me and most Christians, involves praising and honoring God.

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconBuster Cannon, Robert Culp, Austin Bender and 40 more joined Art of Manliness
15 seconds ago
Alan Robertson replied to Alan Robertson's discussion Personal Challenge Log -
"I'm not sure if I qualify as a guru as I am just getting started myself! I go to a track at least 2 days a week for at least half an hour. I'm able to get in anywhere from 2 to 2.5 miles depending on my pace and that is improving. Read…"
7 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
" Saw this: Verdict: Save your money. "
7 minutes ago
John Muir replied to John Muir's discussion The End of Quantitative Easing As We Know It in the group The Great Debate
"If you give Mtn Dew to the east you're getting kicked out of the Marines."
18 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"The nuance is exactly why we should call it what it is -- a handout. If calling them 'benefits' makes takers feel better about taking ... that's a bad thing.  I'm opposed to feeling better about taking…"
28 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"I'm not going to pretend you're too stupid to grasp the nuance, Jack. A child born of unwed parents is a bastard. Do you walk up to parents of unwed children and say: "how's your bastard?" Probably not. Because you grasp…"
41 minutes ago
Chris J. left a comment for Matt J K
"Hey Matt! I hope you are doing well. Thanks for add, hope to chat sometime."
48 minutes ago
Elon Erani replied to Alan Robertson's discussion Personal Challenge Log -
"Alan Hi. How long ago did u start your routine of jogging & walking? U do it twice a week/ For 1/2 hr. I need to get into a routine. My depression is really zapping me of all my energy. I must lose weight & gain muscle. U r my guru. LOL.…"
54 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service