Explanation: My name is Joshua Martinez-Onstott and I am a simple college student whom delights in The Art Of Manliness. Thus when an opportunity so arose to do a research paper on any community of my choosing, ToA was clearly the most ideal choice. For my final paper, I need to acquire several interviews from members of the community and I would be much obliged if some of you would lend me your time and give a review of your time amongst the ranks of ToA. Please, I have been cripplingly ill and bedridden for the past week and half but the draft is due tomorrow. So if you were to respond with the utmost haste, I would be immeasurably grateful.
1. Approx. how long have you been a member of ToA?
2. What is the general nature of your membership in the ToA?
(i.e. frequent user/poster, nonchalant browser, or dignified and cultivated gentleman [gentlewoman] studiously reading and responding to the most recent post/articles, while at your favorite local coffee shop, etc.)
2. How would you describe your experience?
3. Has ToA succeeded to meet your expectations, inquiries, requests, interests?
4. Has would you describe your interaction with the members of ToA and/or ToA's staff?
5. Do you have any farther comment or complaint about the ToA?
Thank you for your support
My most sincere gratitude, sir!
Way to wait 'til the last minute.
(1) Couple of years.
(2) Shining example. Heh ... I'm a regular.
(3) I'm still here ... so I guess so.
(4) Occasionally enlightening ... otherwise, entertaining. AOM doesn't have much of a staff. Brett's a standup guy though.
(5) Not that I know of. What are you looking for?
1. 2 plus years
2. At its best I get to be anthropologist studying an alien tribe. At it's worst, a time-waster when I really need to be working or doing something at home.
2b. Fans my self-loathing, but it has helped too.
3. No expectations to begin with, and try to keep it that way.
4. With Brett, fine. With other members, they have almost always been supportive.
5. Compliant: Filters treat us like teenagers. Should be able to use the word h.o.l.e.
and member blog postings no longer announced. I like to read other blogs, members can get more substantial than on the boards.
1. Over two years.
2. I'm a regular poster but tend to stay on the sidelines. I still consider myself more of a guest, I suppose.
2b. Good overall. This place has been through several changes in just the time that I've been here, but all in all I'd say that this community is better now as opposed to when I first got here. What I'm trying to say is that I like the regulars.
3. Pretty much. I learn a few things here and there. Every now and then I even have an epiphany about life.
4. Mostly good. I get frustrated with some. Some I learn from all the time. Some make me laugh on a regular basis. Some make me want to yell "aaaarrggghh" or some such thing at the top my lungs.
5. Yeah. What were they thinking allowing my kind in here?
I would like to thank everyone for your time, consideration and patience in helping me with my research. My paper was a great success, thanks to the lot of you. I greatly look forward to our future discussions and interactions.