I have been watching the new 30-minute sitcom on the Fox network called Surviving Jack.  It stars Christopher Meloni (of Law and Order: SVU and Oz fame), and is described online as a "comedy based on best-selling author Justin Halpern's autobiographical book, 'I Suck at Girls.' Set in the 1990s, the ensemble series is about a man becoming a dad, as his son is becoming a man, in a time before 'coming of age' was something you could Google."

It has a voice-over from a man in today's world reflecting back on when he was in high school and the relationship he has with his father (who is Meloni) -- kind of like on The Waltons but much, much more PG- and nearly R-rated sometimes.

I would enjoy discussing this show with other guys.  I think there is plenty to talk about as this "real man" helps his "real teenager" learn about life as a man.  If you haven't seen it or cannot see it, here is a link to it online.  http://www.fox.com/surviving-jack/

David

Tags: 1990s, father, jack, son

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The wife had me watch it after she saw the first episode.  Said it reminded her of me.  I actually liked it quite a bit.

Its nice to see a functional television family where the father isn't a dumbass.  Kind of a Red Foreman-type character ... but, not quite as malicious.  He's straightforward, clever, and actually teaches his kids something useful.  Last night, teaching his timid-with-chicks son that speaking your mind ain't a bad thing (after looking impressed when the kid called him a "psychopath" while backtalking).

Meloni is better in a comedy than I expected he would be.  Always liked the actor.  He's good in toughguy roles.  Its fairly unique to see that toughguy role translated to a family comedy, though.

From a review ...

Jack is a TV dad like we’ve never seen before — he’s neither an hapless schlub or an overbearing control freak. Instead, he takes a pragmatic, no-nonsense approach to parenting. Want to ask a girl out? Just ask her out and don’t cry about it. Want to try out for the baseball team? Be prepared to get soaked with a hose at 4AM. He’s not interested in coddling his children and instead tosses out life lessons in the same way that your most blunt friend will tell you how she feels about your heinous new top. He’s doesn’t think he’s mean — he just knows he’s right. And you know what? Jack almost always is. 

... and ...

Sitcom marriages have a tendency to the route of non-stop bickering spouses, and I’m sick of it. Surviving Jack isn’t about the marriage between Joanne and Jack, but it’s sure nice to see Jack not only adore his wife, but also respect her as a person. Jack encourages his wife to go after her dreams and attend law school. He’s not shy about saying that she’s one of the few people he actually wants to spend time with. It’s a far cry from the “shrill wife” and “lazy husband” jokes that we see over and over again on family sitcoms. 

http://www.bustle.com/articles/22252-why-foxs-surviving-jack-should...

JB

I agree with you, Jack.  Thanks for your great comments!

I'd like to watch that once it airs in the UK. 

Plus, it'd be nice to watch a show where the father isn't a bumbling moron. 

Augustin, while you're waiting for it to air in the UK, you could watch episodes online at the link above.

These reviews make me want to watch it...sounds "ground breaking" for this time and place

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Demetri Martinez's discussion Falling in Love Hurts
"You're WAY over-analyzing, and its pissing her off.  Stop it, or she's going to walk.  And, even it didn't piss her off, it looks desperate and unconfident.  Women don't like desperate and unconfident. You need to…"
4 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"This didn't make it to where it was supposed to go.  This follows Liam's response to Josh about the days of the week not corresponding to the physical location of certain astronomic bodies."
5 minutes ago
Christopher R Mallow replied to Matthew Perry's discussion How to avoid looking like a hipster in the group Manly Hats!
"By the way, both you and your compadre look excellent in your hats. Very nice, very well done. (I love your jacket, too.) "
8 minutes ago
Christopher R Mallow replied to Matthew Perry's discussion How to avoid looking like a hipster in the group Manly Hats!
"Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against the driving cap per se. It's just becoming difficult to differentiate the style from the...uh...genre? Lifestyle? Look? Well, you get the idea. "
8 minutes ago
Pedro Angel Serrano posted a photo
10 minutes ago
Fernando joined Brett Balcar's group
Thumbnail

Film

Discuss your favorite films and upcoming releases
19 minutes ago
Vanquish Guy left a comment for C. Ray
"Welcome man! In chicago as well"
25 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jaya Jagannath's discussion Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, philosophical/religious facts, theories etc.
"I thought it was pretty clear and as I'm not a teacher I can't explain it any better.  Liam's post was more on the mark regarding the physical space you have to travel to get to the moon."
26 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service