As an avid music fanatic, I have to ask, what are some of what you consider to be the manliest albums you own or listen to? Or your top manliest artists if that would be easier.

I'll post mine after pondering over it some.

Views: 1113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say Springsteen should be on the top of the list. A man who has no connection to any of his songs, cannot have had a lot of experience. 

Jethro Tull and Gordon Lightfoot.

Might seem a little mellow to be manly, but they both sing of older times, nature and living off the land.

Lightfoot's "Crossroads" is a particularly manly tune. And Tull's "Fire at Midnight"

Anything that can put me in the mindset to disappear into the forest and forsake the modern world is pretty damn manly in my book.

"Broadsword" by Jethro Tull is one of my favorites!
I would recommend the albums "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor, and "Running on Empty" by Jackson Browne. James Taylor sings some great songs about the American West, and stories about cowboys on the range. Jackson Brownes album was written while on the road, and he sings about his experiences on the highways. Both are incredible albums, with some great stories about manly experiences and historical events.

I prefer classical music, and some German bands (though I'm not German myself, I do understand most of the lyrics, or I search it up (I live in the Netherlands, so that makes things easier)).

So I would say:
- Ludovico Einaudi (Classic)
- Roberto Cacciapaglia (Classic)
- Unheilig (German)
- Eisbrecher (German)

Waaaaas?! Eisbrecher, aber kein Rammstein?

Gangstagrass ... bluegrass hip hop music.  Surprisingly awesome.

The Dropkick Murphys ... Irish Hard Rock with accordions/bagpipes ...

Bluegrass version of Enter Sandman ...

JB

I love jazz, easy-listening and classical. Relaxing tracks that have had so much time and effort put into them and are timeless.

My favourite jazz musicians are John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond. The later stuff from the 50's, calm, cool and sophisticated. My favourite jazz album at the moment that I own is John Coltrane's Blue Train.

I love singers such as Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Paul Anka and Nat King Cole. A lot of the mentioned singers cross over with jazz.

I love composers such as Bach my personal favourite, Brahms, Handel, Beethoven and Mozart. Pieces like Bach's "Air on a G String", (Yes I know ..) are absolutely beautiful.  

How has Johnny Cash not made this list yet? The Highway Men, John Anderson, Steve Earle, David Allen Coe and all the early country singers are pretty manly. 

The uk 70's band Mott the Hoople tried to get into the glam rock fashion of the day, the were a bit too manly and described by one critic as looking like Hod-Carriers in drag.

You have to go a long way to beat Bad Company

Music and manliness sure can go together, but it's so subjective, that it's difficult to pin down any list.

Hard rock or heavy metal may give a feeling of manliness, but in what sense? I often associate such music with power, anger and aggression. If so, can such music be regarded as manly? Or is such music pampering to a hardness some men consider to be manly?

Various artists have been mentioned, and for me it would be anything 50's rockabilly and associated genres. 'Rockin' from Coast to Coast' on the Ace label is a good example.

Music is a funny thing; I use traditional shaving tackle, and truly enjoy picking out "shaving music." Whatever I listen to during my shave time is what I consider manly.

RSS

Latest Activity

Leto Atreides II replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Glad to see Peter getting some exposure. I had the privilege of helping edit parts of one of his books. "
48 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Comprehensive information regarding this is available here."
1 hour ago
Jay D replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"What kind of threats were made to the cinemas? Sounds all very strange. Do people think it actually was NK?"
5 hours ago
Henry II commented on Bruce Uall's group The Shirtless Man
"my doctor told me I needed to lose close to 30 pounds. The usual Christmas feast is going to make that hard to do, but once I slim down more,I will resolve to continue leaving my shirt off almost 24 hours a day when appropriate"
7 hours ago
Native Son replied to Regular Joe's discussion BREAKING: US To Normalize Relations With Cuba in the group The Great Debate
"OMG!  An Internet Tough Guy! "
7 hours ago
Shane replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
8 hours ago
Native Son replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Interesting comment from the CEo of Sony Pictures to NPR.  Seems they're trying to distribute the film as an online pay-per-view.  AND according to him, nobody is touching it with a 10-foot pole.  Why, because apparently nobody…"
8 hours ago
Shane replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
8 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service