I still haven't came to any for sure conclusions on what type of field I want to go into, but I have narrowed it down to business or IT (with a specialization in either web design, or cyber security). Next semester I will be a junior, and I will actually have to start paying for school (I had Fin aid + scholarships, it was free other than books) and since I can't come to a conclusion, should I take some time off and work full time and think about it and my life in general? I have to go now, I will post more details later. Just wanted to get the discussion up and running. 

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HAHAHA. Pretty much! 

Going to add to this a little bit, I am leaning towards taking it off. The main reason is funding/motivation. I will have some financial aid but it will not even cover my tuition, I would also be commuting and doing the exact same thing I did last semester which led to me falling into a deep "depression" like state and it led to me failing a class (thankfully it didn't mess my GPA up bad at all). I just don't see the point in me going if I don't know my major and will not be motivated for it. It's not like in the time off I would just lay around the house, I would work nearly full time hours and read books and do a lot of soul searching. 

I think you need to find out what you're interested in because you're not finding it at college and you're wasting your money going and taking classes just to fill up your schedule (at least that's what it sounds like to me).

You are exactly right, Rick. My only fear (and it's not a big fear) is that I will fail to complete a bachelor's by not going back. But I don't think I would allow that, I am halfway done as it is, and most of the statistics on "college dropouts" are based on the freshman that leave after their first year or semester.

I just don't think I am going to find my passion in the classroom. I have been in school going on 17 years, I am really burnt on it. 

No. I took off to work and did not go back for 26 years. Got my B.A. at 48 and M.A. at 50. Did not start career I always wanted until I was 51. Wish I had stayed in and received my degrees when I was 21 and 23. Do not leave school.

George is that because you already knew what that special career was? I do not right now, and if I did I wouldn't even question staying in college and finishing that degree to get me that dream job. 

I had an idea but was not 100% sure at the time. I was sure 2 years after I left.

What was that job George?

Historian and art curator. Instead for 25 years I worked for AT&T. 

I would choose web design. Cyber security is everchanging. But I know you have design skills and a strong sense of styling, I think you should study web design.

Web design is actually as fluid as cyber security.  It is why I love it.

The styles change, the methods and frame works constantly change.  You can look at a site that is 3 years old and feel it if it is not being updated.  You have to know the foundations so you can move with the tide.  But the tide will be moving and you have to constantly be ready to learn, adopt and forget.

This is true of cyber security and web design.

So I am in fact going to school next semester, have my orientation next week. One last line of questions, I have did some soul searching and talked to some of my former high school teachers and they have offered solid advice in choosing a path. 

Originally I was leaning on the IT stuff, but now I am not sure, I am good with computers and electronics and like keeping my own tech updated but the main thing that worries me is the outsourcing of these jobs and bringing in work visas that get paid lower to do all of the work that I could do (Also some of the jobs seem menial and boring).

Recently, I have been reading a lot about entrepreneurs and I think that would be the ultimate freedom, being your own boss. I know it is a long shot but I would love to have my own restaurant and eventually get into real estate investing. I like learning about the way money works and how you can use it to your advantage especially in entrepreneurial pursuits. My fear is I would get a finance or economics degree and end up working in a desk job which I would not want to do as a career. 

The other two options I have considered is becoming a teacher (positively impacting others lives, cannot be outsourced, spreading knowledge) and eventually getting into administration or trying to work my way into a federal government job (FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF) because I enjoy learning about history and stay on top of global events and learning the causes behind things that happen throughout the world. 

Wide range of ideas and passions, only one choice. 

RSS

Latest Activity

John White replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"this is about men who take great pleasure in bashing men thinking all men are the same. "
4 hours ago
Bryan Maloney replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"God can meet you as far as you can go. There is a Jewish story of a man who wrote to his father saying that he could not make it all the way to him. His father replied that the son should go as far as he could, and his father would meet him there."
4 hours ago
Bryan Maloney replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"Read more than one. Avoid paraphrases, though. Most paraphrases do note what they are. Each translation is a product of people with some agenda or another."
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Actually, before Tony Wolf and I diverted ourselves about the word "Bohemian", what you are describing is a sort of gentlemen's (or not quite gentlemen) club. a social gathering group for people with a common set of interests.…"
4 hours ago
Edward Longshanks commented on Ian Wilson's group Out to Build Bridges
"Physically I feel a lot better having ,finally found the courage to come out of the closet to people. First night on AofM I outed myself in my status, and I am glad I finally outed myself to my best friend and my high school classmates"
4 hours ago
Nathanael replied to Will's discussion The red pill
"Poor Will, with his illusions of being happily married."
6 hours ago
Jeremy posted a photo
6 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"boy scouts, 4H, FFA, Orderof Demolay, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,"
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service