Things a man should stop doing after 20? After 30? After 40?

We talk a lot on the site about how men today are having a hard time moving from boyhood to manhood. Many grown men still dress and act like teenagers.

I'm sure we all have our personal list of things that we think a grown man should stop doing at a certain age-  :Putting away childish things," so to speak.

So what's on your list? What should a man stop doing after 20? After 30? After 40?

Here's a few of mine I thought of off the top of my head.

After 20

- No backwards ball caps unless you're wearing a catchers mask at a softball game
- Asking professional athletes for autographs

After 30
- Watching MTV
- Living with your parents
- Saying "dude"

After 40
- Fantasy baseball

Yeah, it's arbitrary. But it's fun. Have at it.

Views: 11736

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To a certain point, there is not a damn thing wrong with being selfish. Honestly, a person does have to look out for number one (albeit not while affecting others negatively, of course).

I don't agree with the idea that "you should do whatever you damned well like at whatever age," Brett. I believe that idea smacks too much of arrogance,
Exactly, BUT....

Obviously, as I said once before to Michael, I believe, that doesn't encompass things like being rude, cruel or obnoxious "just because you can." There are rules of civility and decency, whether written or unwritten, which govern dealing with others.
As long as you are not infringing on/affecting the rights of others or shirking your responsibilities, then you should do whatever you damned well like at whatever age is ok.
Well, the generation thing has been there forever. The Greek epics and tragedies have young gods v. old gods motifs. Tocqueville argues American democracy encouraged greater trans-generation harmony than European aristocracy in Democracy in America.

As for the second idea, seems it too was there with the Epicureans and other hedonists forever. That it would be a prevailing view, yeah, that's new.
Disagree. The demarcation between boys and men is ancient and I'm surprised you would argue against it. Although the line was simply between boy/men/elders. In tribes across the world when a boy was a boy he wore certain things and was allowed to do certain things. When he went through a rite-of-passage, he stopped associating with the boys and only socialized and lived with the men. And when he was an old man he lived with different expectations as well. This was true in varying degrees up until about the 50s. There were boy things and man things, and when a boy became a man, he put away the childish things-dressed differently, talked differently, engaged in different activities, and had different goals.

Note that I'm not arguing that there were ever lines marking things appropriate for 20/30/40. (As a side note, a generation is about 20 years, so we're obviously not talking about generation gaps here). That was just for the sake of having a fun discussion-that has, of course, as most things do around here-had all the fun sucked right out of it. But then those who objected weren't objecting to where the lines were drawn, but to the idea that there should be any difference in how a man acts when he is young and when he is older. And so I simply come back to what I said before-that the idea that there shouldn't be different expectations for youth and for men is a distinctly modern one.
I still have to read the thread, but thought I would chime in:

After 20
Start polishing your appearance... Meaning no more team jerseys, baseball caps EVERYDAY, sneakers with EVERYTHING.
Expand the group of people you associate with... get some different kind of friends.
Start reading and learning about life... learn about finances and economy, leadership, communication skills, etc.
Get some more hobbies outside of your computer and video games, get more social.

After 30
If your a man and one of your goals in life is to settle down and have a family, well, then by 30-35 you should have a serious relationship that might turn into marriage.
Stop wearing things like Ed Hardy, and other t-shirts and things aimmed at a younger audience... you do not want to look like Bret Micheals.
Hopefully you should have a steady income by now or atleast know what you are doing to keep things stable financially.
Limit video games to an hour a day if at all (but I knwo we are a different generation)

After 40
No more childish clothing FOR REAL NO ED HARDY NOW
Polished appearance: sophisticated elegant, etc.
More in control of their emotions
No more strip clubs, I think this is pretty tacky, even after 30... but in your 20's I guess you just want to see women :P
Pull up your damn pants!!!!!!
20's- you can get away with anything!

30's-Quit T-shirts and trainers (unless in the gym).

40's-Develop serious facial hair (moustache only though)
Dude iam 38 and still love acting like a teenager with my son of 18 he keeps me young and i help him grow older every year a little wiser.... my wife asks me when are you going to grow up and i say "Hey i make great money and work hard to support this family, i make sure everything is taken care of and everyone in the family is happy" if thats not grown then screw it.....You are as old as you feel and i feel like a teen I kayak i drag race my 1965 impala.... and dont have erectile dicfunction.... My advise is to act like a young man at any age because living your life by silly rules like" iam too old for that" and you are going to miss out....
Pull up your damn pants!
And stay off my lawn!
Definitely agree to no backwards ball caps after 20 and how about no whining about your work. Stop using internet slang like lol.

after 30 stop going to clubs and hanging out in bars

after 40 I'm sure I'll think of something when I get to my 30's

"I wish to preach, not the doctrine of ignoble ease, but the doctrine of the strenuous life"

"the worst lesson that can be taught to a man is to rely upon others and whine about his sufferings"

Theodore Roosevelt
As a teen I wore my hat backwards now I am 26 and only wear a hat to the game. So as I look back it seems immature because I was so immature. Naturally I associate immaturity and a backwards ball cap with each other. I would have a hard time taking you seriously with a backward ball cap on. I do understand it's sentimental value to you and if that is comfortable wear it how you want.
Removal of headgear is an expression of respect, hence removal in church, at meals, tipping your hat to a lady or upon entering into somebody's home or personal office. Hats may remain on in stores or common use areas such as malls, bank lobbies and the like.

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to John Muir's discussion How to avoid a speeding ticket
"Eh, it's best to go with the flow within reason. Just make sure you're slower than the other guy. Unless it's a bloody speed trap. Then don't give those jerks an opportunity to gouge you."
11 minutes ago
Daniel replied to John Muir's discussion How to avoid a speeding ticket
"I say it's better to go the speed limit that "go with the flow of traffic" at 90mph. My daily commute is similar, but I go the speed limit, and I've never had anyone crash into the back of me, or felt like a rock in a river. The…"
3 hours ago
John Smith replied to John Smith's discussion Creating an Online Freelance Business?
"Craig, do you think it's worth paying the extra yearly fee ($89 vs. $69) to Divi for the "Premium plugins"? I honestly don't even know what that is."
3 hours ago
Joseph Mcallen left a comment for Tarquin Anstruther
"Hi. Just wanted to apologize for not answering your chat invite. I was at school and had the website running on the back, So I didn't see your mssg until it was time for class to start and I started shutting down all other apps. I'm sorry…"
3 hours ago
Joseph Mcallen left a comment for Chip
"Hey, Chip. Thanks for the invite. I saw you a while ago but as soon as I sent you a mssg it said you had logged out. I guess you are about 7 hours ahead so maybe getting late. Maybe wil meet some other time. Have a good one."
3 hours ago
Seanwm42 replied to Ian M's discussion Told "I love you" after two months, I responded with silence
"Respect. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, man. Just treat her like she's somebody's daughter and you'll be all good :)"
9 hours ago
Ian M replied to Ian M's discussion Told "I love you" after two months, I responded with silence
"That's true. And that's why I won't tell her I 'feel' it until I do. I feel very strongly for her, and I'll tell her that but I won't tell her I love her until I know it for sure. "
9 hours ago
Craig replied to John Smith's discussion Creating an Online Freelance Business?
"Yeah take a step back.  You'll need to purchase a domain and hosting. Bluehost can accomodate that AND install wordpress (i believe). You'd need to look into that or call them. Wordpress gets installed and basically acts as…"
9 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service