The older I get (I am 46), the more I understand that it is the little things in life that give the most pleasure. The big things, like my Jeep Rubicon, are enjoyable, but don't soothe the soul the same way.
Here are a few of my little pleasures, in no particular order:
1) cold, clean sheets
2) 2" square ice cubes in my scotch
3) the unprompted declaration of "I love you" from my 7-year-old daughter
4) the feel of a fountain pen
5) my dog lying next to me while watching a good movie
6) shining my shoes
7) standing on top of a mountain
8) the smell of leather
9) the sound of a #2 pencil
10) cleaning a handgun
What are your simple pleasures in life?
I'm a French press devotee myself. Best appliance I ever got for the kitchen was a hot water dispenser. It puts out near-boiling water (205 degrees), so I can just fill up the press and go to town - no heating water.
It's a life changer.
thanks for this - I like your list
Hope it is okay to try some of these out for myself
Eating the weak.
I'd like to hear that in your own version of "My favorite things": Eating the weak and whiskers on kittens...
Whiskey, scrambled eggs and a good rain.
The first cup of coffee every morning
Spending the first couple hours of the day with my young sons
The daily ritual of Straight Razor shaving, my 20 minutes every morning
Watching the sun come up
Working with my dad
Finishing each season, planting or harvesting
watching my dogs play
Watching my young sons learn something new, the look of amazement
Laying down and night and thanking God I made it through another day
I work strange hours so I find a simple pleasure is to sit outside on my balcony at around 4-5AM just before first light and smoke a joint and read for an hour. Just the dead silence and time alone is a welcome relief.
That sounds wonderful; thanks for sharing.
1) Putting on a brand new pair of socks.
2) Taking a sip from an ice cold beer on a hot day.
3) Drying off in the sun
4) When you mow the lawn and it has crisp mow lines.
5) Uncontrollable laughter.
6) When my wife jumps me out of the blue.
7) The sound of waves on the beach.
8) Eating a fish that you caught that day.
9) Seeing the puff of smoke from the tires of a landing plane.
10) mountain views.