In this thread, post facts about yourself that you think others on the site would find surprising.

Feel free to discuss the things other people say too.

I'll start with one:

I've legitimately enjoyed reggae since I was a child, and still love it now. 

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You suck man, you like reggae, ha ha ha

(I say, since you were expecting blowback)

Come on, everybody knows Bob Marley is cool

Once, I broke my femur during a race. I never let anyone I beat forget it.

I would never have expected you to be into reggae.

1. I'm not seventeen. I just look like it.

2. I actually am capable of being a romantic.

3. I'm not as happy as most people think. I just try to have a pleasant countenance when I'm talking to people.

i am a tree hugging, Jesus following, gun toting, bisexual.

What a study in contrasts!  I celebrate all of the above.  I have a friend into astrology who is willing to do my chart, something I know little about but seems to have a lot once you scratch the surface of it.  He said my chart is so unusual with so many opposing things that he will need more time to work on it and let the universe help direct him.  That sounds similar to just about every model I look at where I break the computer.  So if you can't fight it, you might as well celebrate all others who make as much sense, and that is why my hat is off to you.

someone asked me one time to describe my life in one word.

i chose liminality.  so much of my life is me with one foot in one world and one in another.  i am divided between right and left on politics.  i'm a Christian but considered not Christian enough by many Christians and atheists even.  i've got a varied background in my IT work which means i am not fully embraced by certain computer geeks.  bisexuality is rejected by many straights cause it isn't straight, but many gays reject it too thinking we are in denial. and as a bisexual i can appreciate the beauty and energy of more than one gender.  i get what it is like to "live straight" and "live gay".  i am a family man, but at the same time estranged from my family (my wife and 3 kids are all tight, no complaints there; but the family i grew up with, i am not connected with all that much.)  i feel i am an artist, but because my medium is photography, i am not taken seriously.  in photography circles, i am not taken seriously because i don't do portraits nor lug around massive amounts of lighting gear.  .... i never really fit in anywhere. and i don't say that as a complaint nor whine. i quite love it really.  it gives me unusual perspectives.

I had a friend come out as being bisexual.  What trough me was that she was married.  She had come out on national coming out day and apparently some of her co-workers where confused.  Her point was that she was monogamous in a committed relationship.  It just happened to be with a guy rather then a girl.  It was a nice kick in the head to re-calibrate silly underlying expectation biases on my part and her co-workers.  

Society wise I think for a long time non-hetro relationships where seen in a non-committed context of dating not long term relationships.  Its changing which is a good thing by far.

Thumbs up for liminality, standing on the threshold.  In a binary world there is supposedly no room between 1 or 0, but we live in reality, not a virtual representation of it.

Those who are polarized in politics fail to see how their parties polarize for power.  Those who are dogmatic Christians or atheists fail to see when truth gets crucified, it/he dies and reappears somewhere else.  The IT geeks fail to consider evolving to KT (knowledge technology) or WT (wisdom technology) geeks.  Bisexuality is rejected by those who fail to see that that qualifying prefixes neither contain nor fix anything.  Being sexual, being a man, and loving are enough.  Your family of origin likely struggles to love you without tapping into their fears about themselves but not you.  And the photographer wannabes that consider their equipment to be their medium painfully constrain their creativity. 

You have created a family with a partner, love life and live your gifts.  What more can anyone do to fit in?  Your biggest failure seems to be in posturing, and that’s because you have already arrived.  

I used to make music on my computer and it's been published on indie vinyl labels from across Europe and North America.

I've trained with two UFC fighters, one of whom was welterweight champ at the time.

I was detained for half a day at the Jordan-Israel border.

English isn't my first language.

I used to be a forklift driver.

I've had a spinal tap.

I once snuck into a UN compound in Tanzania so I could use their gym.

My mission in life is to bless others.  It’s not about responding to sneezes, being paternal or priest-like, affirming obvious strengths or even saying anything.  Rather, it’s about recognizing people’s fears, foibles and vulnerabilities and acknowledging that is what makes them strong and unique.  Offering a blessing with eye contact, a knowing smile or words is irrelevant as long as people know that I get it.  The surprising fact about me is that I wasn’t acknowledged or blessed much growing up as an immigrant kid in a female-dominated household and a shame-driven ethnic evangelical enclave.  Yet they were my teachers to bless others, and it’s all good. 

I worked as a talk radio call-screener in college.

I couldn't swallow a pill until I was 25.

Not a fan of heights. Gives me the willies. I'll suffer it, but I won't like it.

Never fired a gun until my 20s.

Wrote political columns for my College newspaper ... and got protested by a feminist group and PETA. Heh.

JB

Last one is no surprise.

Why couldn't you swallow a pill? Was it a mental thing?

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"There's already a talk in Canada about them building one, because our illegals from the south are going north into Canada."
6 minutes ago
Shane replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"His supporters did. I've told you for two years to stop believing headlines. You didn't listen. The first time he was asked about his wall idea in an interview he said some geographical terrain didn't need it and some parts would be…"
8 minutes ago
Sir replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"It's already started!  :o"
52 minutes ago
Dave Alex updated their profile photo
55 minutes ago
Dave Alex posted a discussion

Greetings

Nice to see a forum like this and glad to be a member here.My name is Dave and I'm 47 years old. Was introduced to The Art of Manliness by a friend who recommended the books.Have read the forum here lurking while waiting for my account approval. Seems like a pretty solid group here. A bit about me,I have 4 sons, ranging in age from 25yrs to 7 months.....yeah I'm a glutton for punishment lolMy boys are all great young men, and the younger two, 3yrs and 7 months get the best of me.I am very…See More
57 minutes ago
David R. replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"I'm still waiting for a wall on our northern border.  As someone has pointed out somewhere, the majority of our foreign-born terrorists (like in 9/11) came through Canada. (Note: This is a discussion-starting issue, not one that I…"
1 hour ago
Liam Strain replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"Do you really think when he said "I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall."That people understood that to be - "I'll build a wall only in a few places on the border, and…"
2 hours ago
Suburban Sentinel replied to Pale Horse's discussion Another Brick in the Wall in the group The Great Debate
"If the silver market manipulation finally ends, the price of silver could skyrocket. As Mexico has a huge reserve of the metal in the ground, Mexico could be a very wealthy country overnight. They might build the wall to keep us out."
4 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service