So my gym buddy and I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 2 weeks now, and I've got to say I'm shocked. We were busting our asses for about an hour a day doing a mix of cardio and strength, and losing weight at a decent rate (1.5-2 lbs each a week) but it was kind of rough getting in there so much. Well, he had mentioned this program, and all of it's supposed benefits and gains and my first thought, (being the skeptic that I am) was "Yeah, pull the other and it plays Jethro Tull." But, after looking into it, I decided to give it a shot for the recommended 12 weeks. While too early to sing its praises, I have to say that thus far, I am IMPRESSED. We're in and out of the gym in about 30 minutes, and it's only three times a week. We're both still losing weight at the same rate we were when we had cardio, and we've actually seen genuine physiology changes. (Nothing huge, but little stuff like an extra tone mark on an arm, or a little roll disappearing.)

Now then, I've struggled with weight for quite awhile, and while this certainly seems promising, I'm still wary and a bit of a disbeliever. So I'm going to throw my stats out for now, and I'll give this a little update every 2 weeks or so, and we'll see where I am after the three months. In the interest of keeping as few variables as possible, I'll be keeping to the same diet I've had for some time. (The only change then will be adding this exercise program.)

Truthfully, I'm quite hopeful. I've seen more results from this in two weeks than I did doing isolated and split sets for months at a time, and it's so simple it makes sense for it to work: but I never take anything at face value, so here's to a bit of optimism!

Starting Weight: 275 lbs

Current Weight: 265 lbs

Starting Jean Size: 42x30

Most recent 1RM: 200 lbs

Views: 3982

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the problem with this powerlifting oriented programs is that they don't give that kind of motivation as normal body building when I do 5 x 10 lateral raises e.g. and that sort of stuff and feels good, looks good in the mirror, I feel pumped and so pleasantly sore and proud the next day, all these keeps me going... Doing 5 x 5 would feel like power lifting i.e. a _sport_ i.e. a boring, discipline oriented thing, and I never did those.

Honestly it doesn't feel like a sport: it's just very efficient exercise.

My buddy and I both work a LOT (50+ hours a week) so it's nice to not have to slug out an hour of lifting, hoping to see results. We're seeing them, quicker than anticipated.

Besides, the entire lifting session involves fake German accents and lots of Macho Man Randy Savagery. It's quite entertaining.

Front squats.

I'de like to hear how you are doing now.  Any more progress?

I'm also in the middle of my first Stronglifts 5x5 program, and I've also been pleased with the results.  You and are are in slightly different places to start with - I have that skinny-fat body type.  I'm thin, but I was quite weak.  I've been doing stronglifts for almost 2 months, and my strength has gone way up.  I'm developing lean muscle in my chest, back, and shoulders where there was pretty much nothing before.  To augment my strength gains and help with the weight loss, I've been eating a mostly healthy diet: lots of fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables and striving not to overeat.

Sorry for the delay gentlemen! Been a bit wrapped up in work issues lately.

Some good and some bad news concerning the last 3 weeks:

Our workouts have been a little harder to make time for, but we're still managing without any major breaks or misses.

The major bad news is my weight loss has stalled, but I CANNOT even remotely blame it on the program. A combination of stress, work and culinary laziness has me ignoring what I'm putting in my body, and it is only because of this that my weight loss has stopped. (Despite the poor nutritional choices, I have not regained any of my weight, so that's certainly something)

The good news is the strength increase and defined musculature is STILL on the rise, and at a very pleasant rate. We're due to hit 150 lbs on the squat tonight, more than twice our original working weight; and we're just now starting to notice a workload difference. That, more than anything (since it's the only exercise you do every workout) has been fun to see progress. We even added a warm up set at our original weight of 65, and it is so comparably light to us now that it feels as if nothing is there. It was such an odd sensation that we both burst out laughing halfway down the first rep!

We're finally starting to hit working weight with some of the other exercises, and I am VERY pleased to report the biggest gain either of us have made: my buddy had a 1 rep max of 110 lbs when we started (he's a bigger fellow, but he's had a bad shoulder for years) and is now doing 5x5 with 95 pounds! In addition to that, the constant exercise and strengthening has significantly helped his shoulder! While that's still a 15 pound difference between his 1RM and what we're lifting, his old working weight was around 70 pounds just 6 short weeks ago, and that wiped him out after 10 reps.

I also did my 200 lbs again after our last workout, and I'm quite pleased to say I not only managed it even easier than last time...

I did it twice :)

Starting Weight: 275 lbs

Current Weight: 263 lbs

Jean Size: 40x30

Most recent 1RM: 200 lbs (No longer a 1RM)

I'm trying to get back on the wagon with my eating, so hopefully I'll have a lower number for you guys mid October.

Great job.

This is really inspiring... I'm getting back to the gym myself and am looking for a new workout, and this is exactly the kinda stuff I wanna go for. Thanks for posting!!

Congrats on the progress! I did SL 5x5 for about 6 months a few years back. It's very intense and definitely works if strength is what you're after.

RSS

Latest Activity

Michael D. Denny replied to Will's discussion Is it manly to own a cat?
1 hour ago
Chuck Knight left a comment for Bob Brower
"I respect that.  Online friending has devalued the word quite a bit, I agree, but within the context of this forum it is meant only to indicate a friendly association. Nevertheless, I respect that position.  I am delighted to make…"
2 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Pale Horse's discussion Are Communist Cats Manly?
"Is kitty masturbation manly ?  "
2 hours ago
John Sullivan posted a status
"Faith is the fountain of prayer, and prayer should be nothing else but faith exercised."
2 hours ago
Tim replied to PSharikov's discussion Anyone else sick to death of MANLY-discussions?
"+1"
3 hours ago
Carl Monster replied to PSharikov's discussion Anyone else sick to death of MANLY-discussions?
"I missed the memo on this tradition of male messing with each other long ago, women don't do that sort of thing. I know now I've probably deep-sixed more than a few developing friendships because of misinterpreting that. Oh well."
4 hours ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to Will's discussion Is it manly to own a cat?
"+1 My cat owns the foot stool. If you sit on it, he will actually stare at your soul until you move."
4 hours ago
Williamssen replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"I used to feel this way…. Then I got my PBA Card….. Now they aint so bad."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service