Hoping for a little help here.

First off, I don't know squat about archery past that way, way back in teh day we used to shoot in Indian guides and cub scouts. Been a couple years since.

I am wanting to get started, get a decent yet not overly expensive bow.

I will be hunting in Michigan at some point and where I am most likely is bow/shotgun only.

Family is more than likely going to be getting some land here in Texas at some point, which means there will be hogs, and depending on the size of the land, maybe get me a doe for some meat(bucks will be at my normal hunting place or a lease if I ever can get one).

That and the wife is interested in the idea of learning to be competent with a bow, and maybe one day hog hunting.

So really, where do you start? What are some recommendations?

Views: 582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was your best friend born in the 70s?

Check your local Yellow Pages or do a quick Google search for an archery range.  Most act as proshops offering lessons and a chance to try a variety of gear before you spend money.  There are just too many variables and you have offered too few details to accurately recommend gear here. 

Spent a little time searching, found a place here in houston that offers lessons. Going to talk to the wife, $50-$60 for an hour for the both of us. Going to start there.

You might want to look online a little more.  There seem to be lots of archery clubs in Houston and $50.-$60./hour seems pretty high when our local archery club charges $25.00/year family membership then $2.00/person per day range fee which included loaner bows, arrows, and instruction.  Alaska is rarely the cheaper for anything. 

Are you looking at traditional archery or compound machines?  http://community.artofmanliness.com/group/traditionalarchery   Do you have enough room at home to shoot at least 20 yards safely? 

I'm interested as well. I was not brought up a hunter or fisher and I want to be but have no clue where to begin. I wouldn't be a deer man since, aside for corn fed MN deer, I never cared for the taste. Rabbit, duck, hog, and turkey would be my targets. Aside from hog, I've no clue if you can even hunt the small game and fowl with a bow.

When I was learning to shoot my dad put bails of hay at the back of the shed and shot from the front so that stray arrows didn't go into neighbours yards .
I still use the first bow I bought twenty five years ago and have never had to update or replace it so buy the best you can afford as it will last a lifetime .

I did a little bowhunting years ago, mostly rabbits.  Never bagged a deer with it, though.  I don't have any specific pointers starting off, except to chime in and brag that my 14 year old daughter asked for (and got) an archery set last Christmas.  Set up a target for her in the back yard.

Advice.....go find an archery range and shoot some bows, different brands, and find one you like. Archery is all personal preference. That's first. Then see what you like and talk to the guy at the range.
Do not fall into the hype and marketing. Get what you like, whats in your price range and practice, practice, practice.

If you want more specifics I can go into it more.

As a teen I bow hunted and joined a local archery team.  Since I didn't have relatives in the sport, I just went to the local outdoor sports store and spoke with the owner for about it.  He measured my draw, asked what I wanted the bow for, then started my education and showed me options. 

Don't know if you can get that kind of knowledge and help at the chain sporting goods stores, but maybe if you contact the nearest shooting club, they can help you out. 

Im a recurve guy but like others said, go to an archery shop and tell them your wanting to get into it. There usually pretty happy to help someone get started in their favorite hobby. Try out some bows and see what you like.

Personally i have a 40lb@30" PSE recurve and love just going roaming with some blunt flu-flus and taking shots at stumps or whatever else i spot. Much more fun than loosing at a target all day and i feel like it helps me build accuracy better as well. (Pretty sure youll destroy arrows even faster with a compound, so prob not a good idea with one)

A lot of people take up archery and then quit because it's either too hard or they just get sick of it.  I would recommend going to a local sporting goods store they sometimes sell used bows.  Also Craigs list is a good resource.  Once you find a bow spend the extra money have have it set up for you by a professional.  It makes all the difference until you learn how to do it yourself. 

You'll be much more consistent with a bow that fits you.

Don't try to be too much of a tough guy.  Don't pull more poundage than you can pull and hold steady on a target.  Some guys try to pull too much then when they get to full draw they shake and are in such a hurry to release that they settle for a poor sight picture.  Start out small and shoot a lot the muscles needed will get stronger and then you can crank up the draw weight.  NEVER substitute speed for accuracy.

Once you get a bow shoot it all the time.  It's better to practice 20 mins a day every day then 2 hours once a week.  Find a routine that you follow every time you shoot.  Be consistent.  If you're gonna wear a hat and gloves when you hunt then wear a hat and gloves when you practice.  If you're going to sit in a blind then practice while seated.  If you're going to hunt from a stand then hang a stand in your yard and practice. 

Join an archery club and/or league.  There will be guys there that have been shooting for a long time and you will benefit from their knowledge and experience. 

Practice at known distances but also practice learning how to read distance and how changes in elevation and wind can change a shot.  Lots of online resources.  Of course you can't beat a good rangefinder.

Good Luck!!

RSS

Latest Activity

Josh100LuBu commented on Josh100LuBu's photo
16 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"The have brought dishonor to their famiry."
19 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"I guess N. Korea realized the can't sink America with Nerf guns. Either that, or Kim Jon-un got tired of all the internet memes having him mistake objects for cake."
23 minutes ago
Shane replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Except Sony Pictures said they tried to contact the Pres about this, and the reason they pulled it was because theaters dropped the title, not because they were hacked."
32 minutes ago
Shane replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Sony Pictures is owned by Sony Corp. a Japanese firm. This isn't bushido."
35 minutes ago
Will replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Sony has said it will not release it in any form. Sony has also said it will release it. Obama has said exactly what he should have said: http://deadline.com/2014/12/obama-sony-hack-attack-north-korea-1201330493/ I don't think I've ever…"
1 hour ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to Christian Schmidt's discussion The Word "Manly" Is A Burden
"Hey if bite sized cupcakes is what you're into, there's nothing unmanly about it... Nothing Macho though either"
1 hour ago
Steve Dallas replied to Regular Joe's discussion BREAKING: US To Normalize Relations With Cuba in the group The Great Debate
"To use your words, I have never heard anyone remotely considered "serious" come up with this idea of yours that JFK was a coward or that he came anywhere close to humiliation. Most "serious" people correctly claim that this was…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service