I recently procured a comfortable pair of casual brown shoes but realized that I don't know what kind of socks to wear with them. I normally pair them with either jeans or khaki shorts so I tend to shy away from any type of dress socks. But I also know athletic socks are a no go.

With shorts, is it acceptable to pair them with no show socks? As for jeans, I'm always at a loss as to what color to wear as "matching socks to pants" just seems weird....

Here's a picture: http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is/image/WolverineWorldWide/MRL-W...

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just use some bacl or grey socks, normaly does the trick.

Make the socks match the pants, not the shoes. If you are wearing shorts, match to either one. General rule.

If you have a Cabela's near you, their grey socks would be perfect. A grey pair of hiking style socks seems ideal.

In all honesty I wear brown shoes the majority of the time. In addition, I find that the modern obsession of matching socks with trousers to be rather unimaginative. In fact, prior to WWII, it was standard to have contrasting stockings.

That said, I usually chose stockings with some manner of contrast. Examples being buff stockings with brown shoes and brown trousers. Some of my favourite stockings to wear with brown shoes are in fact brown Argyles. Other times, I find that a heather stocking contrasts nicely with brown shoes and buff trousers.

I knew of no modern obsession with matching socks to trousers, in fact I wear what color I want

I am no sure what other men do with their socks it is not talked about much.

I go sockless with my brown shoes; loafers, bluchers, etc.

RSS

Latest Activity

Liam Strain replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"College can be a good proving ground. You have to do the work, or you don't get far. "
22 minutes ago
Sir commented on Mongoose's photo
1 hour ago
Pale Horse commented on Mongoose's photo
1 hour ago
george morgan commented on Mongoose's photo
Thumbnail

Guess who found out how to use curling iron?

"I'd like to be your friend.....?  George Morgan "
1 hour ago
george morgan left a comment for Mongoose
"This is just a message to say how much I admire all the things you say on the Aofm site. Your responses are always on the mark and I always find your writings to be really thought-provoking and mature....I would like to visit with you sometime, if…"
2 hours ago
2risewhenfallen replied to Sir's discussion What college freshmen should know
"What type of college is this? Teach them to read corporate financial statements if its a Liberal Arts college and assign them Biographical studies if it's a Technical college."
3 hours ago
Fernando joined Nolan Poulson's group
Thumbnail

The Barbershop

It's just seems natural that Art of Manliness should have a barbershop group.  My intent of this group is to gather and share general thoughts and experiences concerning barbershops. Anything from a good barbershop that you have found  to pictures and stories of shops you have visited to discussing anything barbershop.  See More
4 hours ago
Fernando updated their profile photo
4 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service