I recently procured a comfortable pair of casual brown shoes but realized that I don't know what kind of socks to wear with them. I normally pair them with either jeans or khaki shorts so I tend to shy away from any type of dress socks. But I also know athletic socks are a no go.

With shorts, is it acceptable to pair them with no show socks? As for jeans, I'm always at a loss as to what color to wear as "matching socks to pants" just seems weird....

Here's a picture: http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is/image/WolverineWorldWide/MRL-W...

Views: 420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Match your sock to your pants as that extends the look of your leg rather then extending the look of your shoe.

Just use some bacl or grey socks, normaly does the trick.

Make the socks match the pants, not the shoes. If you are wearing shorts, match to either one. General rule.

If you have a Cabela's near you, their grey socks would be perfect. A grey pair of hiking style socks seems ideal.

In all honesty I wear brown shoes the majority of the time. In addition, I find that the modern obsession of matching socks with trousers to be rather unimaginative. In fact, prior to WWII, it was standard to have contrasting stockings.

That said, I usually chose stockings with some manner of contrast. Examples being buff stockings with brown shoes and brown trousers. Some of my favourite stockings to wear with brown shoes are in fact brown Argyles. Other times, I find that a heather stocking contrasts nicely with brown shoes and buff trousers.

I knew of no modern obsession with matching socks to trousers, in fact I wear what color I want

I am no sure what other men do with their socks it is not talked about much.

I go sockless with my brown shoes; loafers, bluchers, etc.

RSS

Latest Activity

Michael J. K. left a comment for Rusty Rogers
"looking good there Rusty"
2 minutes ago
Shane replied to Padre's discussion Girls in football
"Title IX is overall a good thing. I find it odd that she made QB, "throws like a girl" is a physiological statement. But, good on her for making the cut."
5 minutes ago
Pat Bohm replied to John P's discussion Food Recipe Blogs?
"This is my go-to whenever cooking is involved: http://kirbiecravings.com/recipe-index-visual The mug-cake-things are to die for, and super simple."
7 minutes ago
Padre posted a discussion

Girls in football

I was just watching Sunday Night Football and they had the commercial talking about this high school girl who is the QB for football. Am I just out of step with things or does this just not seem like a good idea. I just do not see how having co-ed sports at higher levels is ever a good idea. Any thoughts?See More
34 minutes ago
Will replied to Christian's discussion 20 year old looking for advice from you "white collar" gents.....is the money worth it?
"I teach.  Money is good, and I get to pick my projects, and I'm doing two things I love:  teaching, and programming.  YMMV."
46 minutes ago
Mark Phillippo updated their profile
1 hour ago
Sean replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"I minored in history at University.  It is my belief from this experience that, on the whole, the people who study the past or who read the old books are the academics, and they of all people are the ones least likely to gain any benefit from…"
3 hours ago
Sean replied to AlanR's discussion Picking up a side hustle - Investing the time and energy before you see a payoff.
"Have a side hustle or two. I used to have more. my main side hustle is being a woodworker and cabinet maker. Unfortunately, there is not much money in it for quality work. Too much competition from Nordic Surprise and their ilk. The woodworkers I…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service