I recently procured a comfortable pair of casual brown shoes but realized that I don't know what kind of socks to wear with them. I normally pair them with either jeans or khaki shorts so I tend to shy away from any type of dress socks. But I also know athletic socks are a no go.

With shorts, is it acceptable to pair them with no show socks? As for jeans, I'm always at a loss as to what color to wear as "matching socks to pants" just seems weird....

Here's a picture: http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is/image/WolverineWorldWide/MRL-W...

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Match your sock to your pants as that extends the look of your leg rather then extending the look of your shoe.

Just use some bacl or grey socks, normaly does the trick.

Make the socks match the pants, not the shoes. If you are wearing shorts, match to either one. General rule.

If you have a Cabela's near you, their grey socks would be perfect. A grey pair of hiking style socks seems ideal.

In all honesty I wear brown shoes the majority of the time. In addition, I find that the modern obsession of matching socks with trousers to be rather unimaginative. In fact, prior to WWII, it was standard to have contrasting stockings.

That said, I usually chose stockings with some manner of contrast. Examples being buff stockings with brown shoes and brown trousers. Some of my favourite stockings to wear with brown shoes are in fact brown Argyles. Other times, I find that a heather stocking contrasts nicely with brown shoes and buff trousers.

I knew of no modern obsession with matching socks to trousers, in fact I wear what color I want

I am no sure what other men do with their socks it is not talked about much.

I go sockless with my brown shoes; loafers, bluchers, etc.

RSS

Latest Activity

Vytautas replied to Jake Maestas's discussion 50 books challenge
"Bring it. I'd fight a man over the awesomeness of Moby-Dick."
6 minutes ago
Will replied to Jake Maestas's discussion 50 books challenge
"They are quality reading. Now that I'm punched, I'll admit it:  Moby Dick was offensively stupid, and I couldn't help skipping through Great Expectations.  Eventually I determined I was skipping the whole thing and…"
7 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Jake Maestas's discussion 50 books challenge
"If someone else says that Moby Dick or Great Expectations are quality reading I'll jump through the interwebs and punch you in the nards."
13 minutes ago
Danny j pasichnyk left a comment for Milo Morris
"Merry Christmas to you as well."
18 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Jake Maestas's discussion 50 books challenge
"The real challenge isn't the quantity of books read.  It's what you are reading and why you're reading that matters. I can do 50 books in a year without any effort, providing all I'm reading are Louis L'Amour westerns…"
29 minutes ago
Chatmonkey joined Todd Serveto's group
Thumbnail

Growing in Manliness

Men who want to grow in masculinity, develop stronger manly traits, and be more confident in manhood.
38 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Jack Bauer's discussion 'Manspreading'. The latest in feminist caterwauling ... in the group The Great Debate
"And yet another "problem" desperately searching for a regulatory solution.  "
39 minutes ago
Will replied to Pope Paul's discussion 10 Rules to Being a Gentleman in 2015
"I'll be clearer.  You stated your position, but then you got sucked into arguing about it.  Understandable -- in this case, the only way to win that one is not to play. And maybe to clarify.  The point conflating not getting…"
56 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service