I recently procured a comfortable pair of casual brown shoes but realized that I don't know what kind of socks to wear with them. I normally pair them with either jeans or khaki shorts so I tend to shy away from any type of dress socks. But I also know athletic socks are a no go.

With shorts, is it acceptable to pair them with no show socks? As for jeans, I'm always at a loss as to what color to wear as "matching socks to pants" just seems weird....

Here's a picture: http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is/image/WolverineWorldWide/MRL-W...

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't wear Norwegian pants with American socks! 

Match your sock to your pants as that extends the look of your leg rather then extending the look of your shoe.

Just use some bacl or grey socks, normaly does the trick.

Make the socks match the pants, not the shoes. If you are wearing shorts, match to either one. General rule.

If you have a Cabela's near you, their grey socks would be perfect. A grey pair of hiking style socks seems ideal.

In all honesty I wear brown shoes the majority of the time. In addition, I find that the modern obsession of matching socks with trousers to be rather unimaginative. In fact, prior to WWII, it was standard to have contrasting stockings.

That said, I usually chose stockings with some manner of contrast. Examples being buff stockings with brown shoes and brown trousers. Some of my favourite stockings to wear with brown shoes are in fact brown Argyles. Other times, I find that a heather stocking contrasts nicely with brown shoes and buff trousers.

I knew of no modern obsession with matching socks to trousers, in fact I wear what color I want

I am no sure what other men do with their socks it is not talked about much.

I go sockless with my brown shoes; loafers, bluchers, etc.

RSS

Latest Activity

Dom replied to Matthew Perry's discussion Where to start a collection? in the group Fountain Pens
"Another German brand: Mont Blanc. For many a Mont Blanc 'Meisterstueck' is the pen to have. To me, apart from being expensive, a Meisterstueck is a bit too big."
11 minutes ago
Jay D replied to Native Son's discussion Ukraine. in the group The Great Debate
"We had two world wars on our soil, that were so bloody and cruel that even the third generation after the war is sick of it. Just the suggestion that we should go to war to "grow a backbone" is outrageous. You have the same foolish…"
25 minutes ago
Jay D replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"I got some bathroom tipps for you "
1 hour ago
Tyler M. replied to MarutiaOrtia's discussion Weapons of war – how to prevent surprise attacks?
"Did this just turn from an actual discussion topic to a shameless hardcore plug a month later...?"
2 hours ago
Wes Stringfellow updated their profile
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"Sorry, just couldn't help myself with that one."
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"OH!  A Hobbit-hole in The Shire.  But where does one rent an underground apartment with a round door this side of Cheyenne Mountain?"
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Harry Mcgrath's discussion Finding a Taylor
"And Justice of the Peace, and Court Commissioner."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service