hi there,

recently I found someone who I admire as a father figure in my life. As far as I can tell he's maybe aware of it because he treats me a little bit differently from the others at work, more on a fairly subtle personal note. It's hard for me to describe it because he's pretty much a straight poker face in everything he says or does if he really wants to. On the other hand, for some reasons, it feels from time to time like he wants to teach me something and cares for me when we're talking. Like I said, it's fairly subtle. One time he points to me unrecognizable that someone's coming and I should not forget the etiquettes in a way you would hint it to me like a unfocused children, the other time he's proudly patting on my shoulder because I got a nice second job which I like. So, yeah, it feels like he's testing the waters with me or something.

The other day I've asked him if he may want to play a tennis match with me. He was a little bit reluctant in the beginning, so I told him that I won't force him to come with me if he's not interested. To my surprise he reacted rather suddenly to my words, telling me, that he cannot play tennis with me because health reasons, however, he likes to meet me as long as it's not that sports.

It is really hard for me to judge if he's aware of what I'm thinking of him. Should I perhaps tell him that I see him as mentor and father figure for me? If yes, what would be the best approach for it? How do you tell somebody somethinkg like that? Or should I let it be because my senses are overreacting?

Thanks!

Tags: father, figure

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How old are the two of you?

What's to tell?  That is, what would you hope to accomplish by telling?

Or is this just "It's on my mind, and I like to talk about what's on my mind"?

Not following.

Personally, I would not discuss it.  I see no point in bringing it up.  If  you do, there's a good chance he may back away, which I assume you don't want him to do.  Just be cool and allow him to decide what to do while you continue to reach out and try to be better friends with him.  IMO, good mentoring relationships  often have a strong friendship component, so just focus on that and don't rush anything.  Just my two cents.

He may not be aware of how you think of him, he is aware that he likes you and has taken you under his wing so-to-speak.  I wouldn't bring it up as it may embarass him and end what you seem to enjoy about your work relationship.  I would take him on as a confidant or as a unofficial mentor and when you have questions about business bring those questions to him.  I would refrain from bringing him into any personal situations or hobbies unless it is he who suggests it; that may not be the type of relationship he is wanting from you.

RSS

Latest Activity

Josh100LuBu replied to Josh100LuBu's discussion My Fathers Bodybuilding Progress Leading Towards The 2014 Championships.
"Thanks Elon I took those pics, i'll post some photos of me soon!"
4 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Josh100LuBu's discussion My Fathers Bodybuilding Progress Leading Towards The 2014 Championships.
"Well, we are in perfect agreement for perhaps the first time. You are definitely a poser."
7 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Belmin Bratic's discussion Procrastination in a students life
"Pray for your "Gentleman's C." "
9 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Pope Paul's discussion 10 Rules to Being a Gentleman in 2015
"For the umpteenth time: This is not the AoG. Even if it were this is an internet forum. It exists in part for the express purpose of giving folks a place to argue. You would do well to remember that. "
19 minutes ago
Will replied to Pope Paul's discussion 10 Rules to Being a Gentleman in 2015
"I looked that up.  It mean:  what is seen can't be un-seen; there are no girls on the Internet; any girl who posts a pic is obliged to expose herself; and something about cellular automata."
28 minutes ago
Will replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Sony pulls The Interview Christmas Release in the group The Great Debate
"Most people get to the Internet through an Internet service provider (ISP).  It isn't that hard."
29 minutes ago
Elon Erani replied to Josh100LuBu's discussion My Fathers Bodybuilding Progress Leading Towards The 2014 Championships.
"Hey Josh.      Tell your dad he looks good. His are big! How r u doing, buddy? Send me some of your  posing."
29 minutes ago
Will replied to Belmin Bratic's discussion Manly figures of the modern culture
"[In the Virginia Tech shootings,] "Professor Liviu Librescu, an Israeli Holocaust survivor, forcibly prevented Cho from entering the room. Librescu was able to hold the door closed until most of his students escaped through…"
32 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service