So my wife and I signed the family up for the Gym. It is a University Gym and it is stocked with more geegads then I have a clue about. Frankly I don’t have a clue about anything Gym related.

Goal for my wife: drop 50 libs. 

Goal for me: drop the wine belly and get strong and some balanced definition.

Goal for my 6 year old son: learn how to swim.  We have signed him up for lessons.

I get the use a towel to wipe down the seat and put your weights back where you found them.  As to what to do?  I just pick up weights and move them around 6 times and do that 3 times and that is all there is to it right?  I don’t think it is that simple.

They have the option of hiring a “personal trainer” AKA a student studying this stuff – I’m not sure about that.

So for the Gym goers of this forum, can you give me a clue?  My wife is up for doing strength training with me doing the same maneuvers at low rep high weight sets.  So I have a partner in this adventure.

What are your gripes?

How did you started out? 

What went well in the beginning?

What failed? 

Any and all information would be helpful.  

Views: 1468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps part of our confusion is because of terminology or it could just be completely different viewpoints. I believe that SS and Stronglifts or any 5 x 5 is a great beginning program. In fact SS strongly emphasizes proper form and starts fairly light if I recall.

Addressing imbalances will not be accomplished in a week or 2. Two weeks of pull-ups and face-pulls will not address a shoulder imbalance though both exercises do that very well. I do agree with the stretching. But I think it is best left to after warming up. If it were me I would recommend a good beginner program, have them run it very light (think maybe 50% of what there training weight may be). That will give them the opportunity to learn the specific lifts in their program, warm them up for stretching, and ease them into activity safely. If you want to correct imbalances before starting a program no-one would ever start a program; everything would be corrective.

Agreed. There's ways to diagnose and address imbalances with a bar. Although I recommend starting with a few months of body weight work first. That will address any imbalances.

A big difference between SS and SL, besides the power clean, is the starting weight. With SL you start with an empty bar for everything except dead lifts. With SS, once the lift is learned, you add ten pounds each lift until it slows down; that's your starting work weight. It's easier to get over ambitious that way I think. Though if you keep your head no worries.

Hey man, congrats! I'm sure any advice I could give you has already been spoken for given the copious number of replies. Just wanted to say that signing up for the gym is a great step towards physical and mental well being for you and your family.  Stay with it, and remember the Bruce Lee quote about long term consistency being better than short term intensity.

RSS

Latest Activity

Todd Heavner replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"Blasphemer."
11 minutes ago
Sean replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"Coffee should be strong, fresh ground, fresh brewed, black, and flushed down the toilet. I love the smell but can't stand the taste. Tea is my drink."
36 minutes ago
N. Vest replied to Tom Baker's discussion Masculinities and social class
"Thanks Joe "
6 hours ago
Chad commented on Stephen Larsen's group Banya Men!
"Stephen, yeah, it would be great to meet you."
6 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Shane's discussion Secret Lives of Men in the group The Great Debate
"No need to apologize, Will. Yes, we are all damaged in that regard. But relative to other humans since then, not everyone is damaged (emotionally). She did mention boys having their instincts bridled. That's what I meant by the playing in the…"
7 hours ago
Mike S. replied to Shane's discussion Secret Lives of Men in the group The Great Debate
"Why is masculinity so demonized? Also, why does having emotions have to be attributed to femininity? Anyways, sounds like she is accusing the world of pushing us into a certain role while she does the exact same thing with her interpretation of how…"
7 hours ago
bobby clyde posted a status
7 hours ago
Vytautas replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"Ironic that you're pushing another interlocutor for some "serious evidence" when you are so unwilling to do so yourself. "
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service