So my wife and I signed the family up for the Gym. It is a University Gym and it is stocked with more geegads then I have a clue about. Frankly I don’t have a clue about anything Gym related.

Goal for my wife: drop 50 libs. 

Goal for me: drop the wine belly and get strong and some balanced definition.

Goal for my 6 year old son: learn how to swim.  We have signed him up for lessons.

I get the use a towel to wipe down the seat and put your weights back where you found them.  As to what to do?  I just pick up weights and move them around 6 times and do that 3 times and that is all there is to it right?  I don’t think it is that simple.

They have the option of hiring a “personal trainer” AKA a student studying this stuff – I’m not sure about that.

So for the Gym goers of this forum, can you give me a clue?  My wife is up for doing strength training with me doing the same maneuvers at low rep high weight sets.  So I have a partner in this adventure.

What are your gripes?

How did you started out? 

What went well in the beginning?

What failed? 

Any and all information would be helpful.  

Views: 2385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed. There's ways to diagnose and address imbalances with a bar. Although I recommend starting with a few months of body weight work first. That will address any imbalances.

A big difference between SS and SL, besides the power clean, is the starting weight. With SL you start with an empty bar for everything except dead lifts. With SS, once the lift is learned, you add ten pounds each lift until it slows down; that's your starting work weight. It's easier to get over ambitious that way I think. Though if you keep your head no worries.

Hey man, congrats! I'm sure any advice I could give you has already been spoken for given the copious number of replies. Just wanted to say that signing up for the gym is a great step towards physical and mental well being for you and your family.  Stay with it, and remember the Bruce Lee quote about long term consistency being better than short term intensity.

RSS

Latest Activity

Roughshod replied to Brandon's discussion Over-dressing-- How inappropriate is this?
"Only as problematic as you make it to be.  If that is your sole major concern at the moment, count your blessings. You must lead a remarkably sheltered life.  "
5 minutes ago
Sir replied to Sir's discussion US Presidential primaries in the group The Great Debate
"Closed primary:  good info.  I didn't know that. But he's got quite a lead.  And Republican voters are reconsidering him.  I say, because I did, when it was down to him and Cruz and Cruz was delighting in the voterless…"
13 minutes ago
Sir replied to Vendetta's discussion A Conversation Worth Having on Gender Identity. in the group The Great Debate
"Yeah, I thought it wouldn't make much difference to you. I wish nobody had this problem, but I don't mind discussing it.  I'm interested in what causes it and what he, or she, can do about it.  I suspect I know a little of…"
20 minutes ago
Daniel replied to Pale Horse's discussion Things You Hate
"Unconscientious jaywalkers. I don't mind that you're jaywalking, I do mind that you're jaywalking when my light turns green. Every &*^% day. Also, people walking many abreast on the sidewalk and not leaving room for walkers in the…"
29 minutes ago
Brandon posted a discussion

Over-dressing-- How inappropriate is this?

I like wearing grey dress pants and dress shirts everywhere I go. How problematic is this?
30 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Sir's discussion US Presidential primaries in the group The Great Debate
"California's a closed primary so it can't really build any more support than he already has in that state.  It can embolden his supporters to get out and vote, but most likely will not swing voters from other candidates to him. Trump…"
35 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Sir's discussion US Presidential primaries in the group The Great Debate
"It's just a campaign promotion.  A shot at Trump.  Women who support Hillary will love it."
40 minutes ago
Daniel replied to Pale Horse's discussion Things You Hate
"Loud pipes have never saved a life. Ever. Everyone knows it. Add an extra level of annoyance because these men aren't honest about why they have loud pipes. They say they're concerned about safety and then ride with a sleeveless leather…"
40 minutes ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service