In light of our recent Return of Kings article, I thought it might be interesting to see what's coming from the other extreme.  Courtesy of "The Good Men Project" -- a site run by women, wherein women write helpful articles about how men ought to be ...

Does Redshirting Boys Help Them Succeed Academically?

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/redshirting-boys-help-ac...

Her theory is that all boys should be held back a year in school.  Because boys are immature.  And girls aren't.  Which makes school challenging for boys.  Even smart boys.  And, apparently, "challenging" is a bad thing for these poor fragile boys.  They just can't keep up.  Here are a couple of pull quotes ...

Typically boys mature more slowly than girls and redshirting a boy will give him a year more of maturity to help him with his studies.

Whenever I’m asked whether or not to hold a child back, I always answer a resounding “yes.” I firmly believe that holding a child back helps the child to grow socially and intellectually giving the child added confidence to assist him with learning.

For instance, when you are teaching a child to read it is so important that the child have confidence with reading while learning. If a child struggles while learning, he loses confidence with reading. Little confidence leads to a child disliking to read. When a child dislikes reading, he does not like to learn to read. When teaching a child to read, it should come easy to the child. If a child is not ready to read intellectually, he will struggle and the downward spiral of self confidence and disliking reading begins. For this reason, I think it is always better to allow a child to grow more and become more reading ready, and ready for other kindergarten activities.

But, lest you think that a "gifted" boy who can already read should study alongside the average (or even below-average) girls ... think again.  Even if he's brilliant, he's still just an emotionally-stunted boy ...

What if it is clear the child is ready to read? I still believe the child should wait to enter school. In fact, I encouraged a child to wait for entering kindergarten even though he was already reading and understanding at a high school level. In this case the child was clearly gifted and would be throughout his years of schooling. I wanted the child to be able to emotionally and socially handle his giftedness.

This article rather pisses me off.  We're literally discussing using sex differences to justify intentionally setting boys a year behind for the entirety of their lives -- from kindergarten, to graduation, to employment, to financial independence, to job competition with same-age girls, to earning-years before retirement.  Just ridiculous.

JB

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Their intra-mural sports teams usually do better that way, too. 

Boosting scores by stunting students seems fairly irresponsible.  There's no way I'd send my kid to a school like that.

JB

You guys still learn cursive?

I recently found out that they stopped teaching it up here a few years ago.

I really don't understand why it's being taken out. So many modern and utilitarian demagogues think it's useless and impractical, but I say it's the height of written language. We were able to move from merely crunching a bunch of crude sound symbols together, to actually linking them in an aesthetically appealing way. To me, learning cursive is no less important to the mastery of the written language than puns and double entendres are to mastering the spoken language--We don't often use it in practical language, but it represents a higher command.

What more contemporary practices (like typing or just computer use) would you omit to keep it in? or would you lengthen the school day?

For real? What the heck do they do for seven hours??

Teachers are often very jealous of classroom time.  It's certainly a limited resource.  Like an administrative assistant with increasing responsibilities, we may be able to pile on instruction requirements to a point, but not infinitely.

I went to a private Christian school for a few years, and I started learning cursive in kindergarten, and could go to town with it by second grade. So could most of the kids. I wasn't held back, and only a few were, so that's not really a sure fire sign. I never heard of schools doing that. Interesting tactic.

Are you trying to make us laugh or cry. why are you quoting anything from "that" site?

If "that"site said the sky was blue ....... i would have to say i must have been wrong on the color all these years .

"You just made the case for unisex education"

unisex: designed to be suitable for both sexes

I feel like an idiot. I've been seeing references to "The Good Men Project" here for quite some time. I always thought it was an AoM group, just another one of the many. But it's a site run by women? I'm going to have to check it now.

As to your question: no, absolutely not. I have a son. He's 16 now, but I would've been very upset if he'd been held back a year. And it's been challenging over the years, too, but I've been there for him. It's really only been in the last couple of years that he's gotten more serious about his studies. Better late than never. Still, I wish he'd read more. I mean on his own time, as opposed to a homework assignment. The kid lives for video gaming. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Ideally not. Best I can tell, your complaint is that men -- particularly Asian or Korean men -- aren't into dark-skinned women. You say your parents immigrated to the U.S., so it doesn't sound like you live in Asia. You call yourself a…"
2 hours ago
Drew Wood replied to Chris J.'s discussion Taking a nature walk...barechested in the group The Shirtless Man
"That is a great feeling, especially on a warm Spring day!"
4 hours ago
Kit the Odd replied to Sir's discussion Class in the group The Great Debate
"I'll have to think about this some more, but one things comes to mind right off. The volatility of the classes makes for some of the mismatches you mention.  Purely income-wise I grew up probably somewhere between middle-class and…"
8 hours ago
Apollyon replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Nope. 1. You seem to have self-loathing, low self esteem, and bad self image. 2. You live in Korea? Asian countries can be tough to deal with if you are not Asian. However, I can tell you many other countries in the world DO in fact like black…"
8 hours ago
Tyler West replied to N. R.'s discussion Any Wildland Firefighters out there?
"Hey man, Just saw this and figured Id reply. I was a BLM/Forest Service firefighter for four years, two on engines and last two on a hotshot crew. The biggest thing honestly is calling and or visiting fire captains to show your interest. Some of…"
8 hours ago
Kit the Odd replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"I'm not sure what I could say to help, although I'd like to.  It sounds like you are dealing with some specific problems that feel like general ones.  I don't know what your experiences are, but they sound…"
8 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Valentin's discussion Hello from Paris (France)
"Welcome. I hope you enjoy being here. Feel free to chime in anywhere."
10 hours ago
Sir replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Isn't it obvious?  She's gone to an almost all-male, mostly white, board, to see if she gets honored or trashed.  Because she is in such distress that she, well, makes that post.  I'd say she's been trashed enough.…"
11 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service