I heard a short piece on radio today, and while I certainly will misquote it and the speakers bias is not important - here is the gist.

A boy of 4 years old was doing things that were considered very girly. His parents assumed that his sexual development and orientation were not in congruence and are raising him as a her.

There are a number of discussions on AOM about what is manly and what is not. I also just read these articles about men who are problems to themselves and others because they are overly stuck in "manly" orientation.

https://mic.com/articles/160182/sexist-people-are-more-likely-to-ha...

It got me wondering if instead of changing gender, effeminate men need to stay in the circle of men and balance out the high level of testosterone that leads to so much violence in our world. 

funny how some voices out there defend transgender changes and at the same time criticize the violent things men do. Men who are born men are men, no matter how they act, say I.

these are just developing thoughts from a heterosexual married guy - so I thought I'd toss it out there.

Views: 762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a buddy with a transgender adult child and based on my understanding, you are being a wonderful and supportive friend!  Despite whatever outfit/tattoo/signaled or anatomical gender a friend has, a friend remains our friend for who they are. 

Thank you.  I think we need to remember how amazing people are.  Not stereotypes of human groups, people.  We all have an oddness and a boldness that should be appreciated.  Life's hard, it is not my place to make it harder.  

This makes a great quote to celebrate diversity:

We all have an oddness and a boldness that should be appreciated.  Life's hard, it is not my place to make it harder.  

"Perhaps we need a stereotype of a flaming - straight male?  But I'm really not sure.  I tend to think of those as "Dapper Gentlemen".  The well appointed male that is over the top in focus on fashion and style."

Metrosexuals? Dandies? Fashion victims? Sapeurs?

Child: *eats carrot*
Parents: We have decided to raise our child as a vegan.

Kid eats nothing but fruits and vegetables.  Kid will not touch leather.

Parents seek to assure the kid has a proper diet and is properly clothed.  All to help the kid grow up well, in the hope the kid does not commit suicide because the are vegan.  

Hormones may dictate how you feel but your brain is what dictates what you do with those feelings.  Having more or less levels of a hormone in your system may make you feel more or less passionate about whatever it is you are experiencing.  At the end of the day your life experiences and your upbringing will determine what you do. 

In addition I think its probably inaccurate to assume that an "effeminate" man is either A.  lacking in testosterone, or B.  incapable or less capable of violence simply because of the former assumption.   

Why in the first place would boys doing "girly" be something to be considered as an issue? While girls being "boyish" doesn't really raise a problem? 

All to sexist, I think.

Agreed.  I think it is a combination of the need to classify and the worry if our children fit some classification.  

And that's more reason why we should not fit or even squeeze them to some mold created by people. That would only limit their growth.

Who would benefit from living to society's expectation? We all should live according to ourselves. It would make our life less duller and more unique.

Affirming your wisdom here

I think there is much to learn from others.  Especially when you're four.

RSS

Latest Activity

Lionheart commented on Stephen Larsen's group Banya Men!
"Hoping to hit the sauna next week in Dallas. Could use a relaxing spa day. Anyone care to join an AoM brother there?"
51 minutes ago
David R. commented on Shane Belin's group Pennsylvania
"Comment by David R. 1 second ago Delete Comment I'm looking for a quality 4"x6" desk size Pa. flag.  I ordered one from an online company but when it arrived, you simply could not see the coat of arms because it is printed so…"
3 hours ago
Nature of a Man replied to Nature of a Man's discussion A bizarre dating trend I see
"For example, it wasn't so long ago that the well-off married essentially for political and business reasons. Their partners were spouses for the purposes of appearances and to produce offspring but the partners led very separate lives, often…"
5 hours ago
Kit the Odd replied to Xenias Latin's discussion New Leadership Question
"I agree that this sounds more like a management issue than a leadership issue.  I don't really have any good suggestions for management training books. As for leadership, look up the US Army leadership manuals.  ADP 6-22 and ADRP…"
7 hours ago
David R. added a discussion to the group Comedy!
Thumbnail

I know, I know...

I know, I know, I've got a dirty mind sometimes.  But here goes anyway.I passed by the sign in front of a local gym that was promoting how much weight their members had lost.  I saw "Congratulations, Bob Smith!  He lost 75 pounds and 19 inches!"How many men would like to lose "19 inches"?!  Comments?See More
9 hours ago
Jay D replied to J. Exalto's discussion Globalism in the group The Great Debate
"We are discussing two things here. 1. Globalism actually brought as huge relative wealth since the average western household now can afford things that were liited to the aristocracy just 100 years ago. Have you laundry done, babysitters, maids,…"
9 hours ago
Jay D replied to J. Exalto's discussion Globalism in the group The Great Debate
"I agree and being able to patent f.e. new drug recipes is very important for innovation, since there is a lot of money invested. But there are also many areas were patents kill innovation and competition, since they grant a quasi monopoly for…"
10 hours ago
Dal updated their profile
10 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service