Which of the three great genres do you guys prefer?

What are your reasons? 

Have fun. Geeking out is encouraged.

For me the holy grail is stuff that fuses more than one of the genres, but otherwise it almost like picking a favorite child. That being said, SF has the highest batting average for me, so I'd go with that.

Views: 193

Replies to This Discussion

No problem with the new doctor, instead we should be focusing about how overrated and repetitive Doctor Who is. 

This. All the talk I've seen is about dying franchises using women as a last attempt at ratings.

I'm actually excited to see the next series, and what she does with it. Then again my favorite recent doctor has been David Tennant. Could barely stand Matt Smith. Capaldi has been ok, but my favorite recent episodes are with Tennant.

Fantasy can go deeper and farther, so I love the best of it far more than SF.  However, I find that generally the author either isn't up to it or won't even try.  So I'm a lot more likely to like an SF book than a fantasy novel:  it doesn't disappoint when it turns out to have a relatively small scope. 

Horror I only like as spice to make SF more exciting.  

I don't know that I'm especially into any of the three.  I tend to like a bit more grit in TV and movies.  My top 10 TV series has probably one Sci Fi show (Star Trek TNG), one 'horror' show (The Walking Dead), and no fantasy shows (I tried to like Game of Thrones, but it didn't take).  The rest are all crime dramas, gunslinger shows, or mysteries.  I guess the X-Files, Heroes, or Smallville might be in the Top 20.

For 'horror' ... I like the zombie genre.  But, I think it's the post-apocalyptic aspect that fascinates me, not the horror parts.  Or the gore.  I like the survivalism and the action.  Men pushed to the limits by circumstances outside their control.  I read World War Z a couple of years ago which was great.

Outside of the zombie stuff, there are a few movies that would probably be considered 'horror' (or at least 'thriller') that I liked.  Shutter Island.  The Shining.  1408.  Jaws, I guess.  Alien (or is that sci fi?).  American Psycho (maybe?).  My wife loves 'horror' movies, from the old 80s slasher crap to the newer "Conjuring" variety.  The newer ones are usually tolerable.  But, not scary.  The old ones are crap.  But, I like her ... so I'll watch them anyway every now and then.

Science Fiction I like on a case-by-case basis.  The recent Planet of the Apes series has been damn good, though I haven't seen the most recent one yet.  I like Star Trek quite a bit.  The Martian was great.  The Star Wars series is good, though a little tired.  Mostly series, though, rather than standalone movies.  Quite a few more if you consider the superhero genre science fiction, I guess.  Which, it sometimes is ... except when it's not.

Fantasy ... almost none.  Unless you consider Star Wars a 'fantasy' series.  I didn't even see most of the Lord of the Rings movies.  I watched a few hours of Game of Thrones, and wasn't impressed.  Just doesn't interest me much.

JB

To be honest, Game of Thrones is closer to a soap opera than it is to fantasy.

That was my assessment.  Lots of talking and scheming ... not a lot of happening.  It's outside my genre, but I gave it a trial run because everybody raves about it.  Just didn't end up interesting me.

Just finished Sons of Anarchy, though.  Worth a watch.  Not that it fits into this discussion at all.

JB

I watched all of SoA. At first it was great but it went out with a fizzle IMO. Didn't like the end.

I prefer The Last Kingdom on Netflix. They are two seasons in. Vikings vs the last strongholds of Christianity in England

"For 'horror' ... I like the zombie genre.  But, I think it's the post-apocalyptic aspect that fascinates me, not the horror parts."

Ditto.

I think the general consensus, JB, is that Alien is sci-fi horror and Star Trek is science fantasy rather than science fiction because the focus is less on the science and more on the swashbuckling.

I pick horror, because I find it to be truly hard to make a good horror movie.  And a shitty plot cannot be hidden behind special effects (IMO), unlike science fiction and fantasy.

Some of the most successful horror movies have been made with tiny budgets (Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, etc.).  

A good horror movie is more an experience than a stand alone movie.  It causes you to be scared, you react to scenes, you need to latch on to a loved one, you have authentic bodily reactions to scary moments. To this day, I still remember the feeling I got when I watched "The Ring" for the first time, but even though I loved LOTR, Star Wars, and Star Trek,  I cannot remember how it made me feel. 

Long story short, I pick Horror, because it is so much harder to make a good horror movie. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Lumpy52403 replied to Eric Lindberg's discussion What is the manliest job you ever had?
"Congratulations on becoming a Dad!  [cyber man-hug]"
4 hours ago
Stewart M. Davenport replied to Eric Lindberg's discussion What is the manliest job you ever had?
"I should add that I'm due to take on the manliest job anyone could ever have any time now: fatherhood. My wife is due to have our first baby, a boy, anytime this month."
5 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Sir's discussion How goes the war in the group The Great Debate
"F"
6 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Sir's discussion How goes the war in the group The Great Debate
"Cautiously optimistic about Trump's Afghanistan plan. Speech boiled down to: 1. Quit freely giving intel. 2. Quit nation building. 3. Work with our allies in the area. 4. Work with our own military. Now all that is well and good. But will we…"
6 hours ago
Peter O'Reilly replied to Eric Lindberg's discussion What is the manliest job you ever had?
"I work as a land surveyor.  For one year I had a fly in fly out job in northern Labrador, Canada.  If you want to talk about cold, come talk to me.  Try a cold where if you breathe in too quickly and deeply, ice crystals can form in…"
8 hours ago
Shane replied to Peter O'Reilly's discussion Fasting and Intermittant Fasting
"My default state is 16/8 IF. I've gone 30 days without food. I wouldn't recommend going for long on just water, too many health risks."
8 hours ago
Jesse Dean replied to Jesse Dean's discussion What Would You Do?
"Yes and since that is their only team, it is everyone's team. It is like their professional football team."
9 hours ago
Peter O'Reilly posted discussions
9 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service