New here, joined to let off some frustration and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

A week ago, I tore my abdominal wall working on my home. Doctor says it's a bilateral inguinl hernia, and a somewhat bad one. I'm scheduled for surgery within the month.

My problem is, I'm a stubborn cuss, and a fair chunk of my professional and personal life involves physical activity. Some months ago I decided to avoid the middle aged man putting to pasture, increased my activity and exercise. I exceeded my goals and found some great new hobbies. My job also involves skilled physical labor, and I keep my home maintained and clean mostly on my own.

All these things are forbidden by doc, he wants me to be almost a total couch potato, no more than 10lbs lifting, minimal unnecessary activity. Work has found light duty for me, and I'm fine financially.

I've been informed the total recovery will take two to three months. After a week I'm already getting cabin fever, frustration and irritation at my condition. I hate being laid up with a passion.

Anyone have ideas to keep my mind off this, or positive things to try to keep myself busy?

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do what the doc says.  If you push it, recovery will just take longer.

And, while keeping in shape is great, keep in mind that no amount of exercise is going to make your body like it was when you were 25, especially in terms of resilience.  So, don't overdo it.  (I am guilty of overdoing it myself, so this is a do as I say, not do as I do post.)

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"Daggumit, Shane, read Dune."
14 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Or better yet, think of the people who unironically have waifus!"
16 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Wow, congratulations. My goal is just to have a more healthful diet. I am not overweight, but I do have a family history of diabetes, and I know eventually when I'm older that eating junk food will have greater consequences. Thanks for the…"
17 minutes ago
"Good point on changing the mindset. I think most of us have an "I shouldn't" frame of mind rather than an "I don't" frame of mind, at least when it comes to vices. I'm not sure I want to watch one of those…"
20 minutes ago
"Same here, an ice cold coke is one of the best things on earth. Mexican coke is more expensive here too, so maybe if I only drink that I'll cut down out of monetary necessity!"
24 minutes ago
Braeden replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"If Shane and Clinton have united against you, its time to stop and think about your life."
27 minutes ago
Sir replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"It's always possible to put spin on.  Doesn't mean much, though."
28 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"You completely missed the point..."
33 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service