Hi all,

I’m brand new to the forum, but I’ve been reading AOM since around 2009.  Please be gentle!

I’m 23, live and work in the UK and struggle day to day with knowing and being myself.  I have to contend with difficult employers and a highly strung home environment every day, so the stress is pretty constant.  The small mercies I am afforded, in addition to my privileged western comforts, are a car and time to myself in the gym 3 or 4 times a week. 

I live at home with my parents, so I don’t have many overheads, I work in insurance and have done for the past 4 years (almost).  In short, insurance bores the life out of me.  I’ve always been creative and analytical and feel like a career in advertising would suit me best, but I don’t meet the entry requirements.

My salary is poor and although I’m not money motivated, there isn’t really any saving grace to my career in insurance.

Therefore, I beseech you all to offer some guidance and wisdom to motivate me to take the next step.  I really want to take a risk and study for a degree in psychology.  I can do it as a distance course, while still working and the British government will foot the bill until I am earning over £21,000 a year (approx. $35,149.00).  The only problem with this is that by the time I finish I will be 26, almost 27.  I know this is still young, but I’m becoming increasingly conscious of time as I get older.  I haven’t had a significant female in my life for 3 years, my friendship group has shrunk (to preserve my sanity) and I’ve grown loathsome of social events.  I’m not depressed, but I’m not happy.  I’ve exchanged beer, bars and BS, in favour of fitness, good food and limited connections, and although I feel better health wise, I have this gaping void in my life. 

My father (with whom I am quite close) suggests getting a higher paid insurance job in London and pursuing my own interests outside of work.  I can understand where he’s coming from, but I don’t know if I can stand much more of this line of work.  Do I suck it up and take his advice?

Ideally, I would like to raise a family in the States, but I don’t think I currently meet the criteria to be permitted to live and work there.

The psychology degree would help me to better understand myself and others and, according to literature I’ve read, would make for a more attractive entry level degree for advertising, marketing and health care careers. 

So much for that abundance of time they promised us as kids!  I don’t know whether to take the risk, or work towards a higher paid insurance job in London – doing something I have absolute apathy for just for the remuneration; or forget about money, women and a family until I’m almost 30! 

“Typically, if you’re starting from scratch, an undergraduate degree will take six or seven years to complete.”

[Working full-time and studying part-time] If I dedicate 32-36 hours a week to this (plausible, I’ve done the maths) I could do it in 3 - 4 years.

Sorry to bombard you with so many personal pronouns.

Has anybody else done something similar to this?  How did it turn out?

Thanks in advance,

CJ

Views: 290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I don't want to play by the rules... employees"

If you don't want to follow the rules, you don't want to take the risk and start your own firm, and you don't want to be on the public dole then good luck; there is no fourth option unless you count death.

I didn't explain that very well.

I'll just get psychology my degree, which is something that interests me and is apparently a favourable degree for entry-level advertising roles and pursue that.

Apologies for the "pity party." A lot of jumbled up thoughts ran out at once. Have a nice day/evening!

I was in a very similar situation 5-6 years ago. I quit a job as industrial electrician when i was 22, went back to school to qualify for a degree, moved out a few months after quitting the job (with way to little money) and iam about to finish my law degree in a few months. Iam 27 now. 

Looking back, that had a huge impact on my life. Iam living in a different city now, with a different circle of friends, a different career ahead and a whole bunch of experiences that made me grow as a person and changed me in a good way. I shat my pants a couple of times, had some failures and setbacks during the past few years but i havent regretted it once.

Here are some things that i learned the hard way during that time. Go for a degree that rouses you interest. Not suggesting to study the history of the east asian sunflower but going for a degree that pays well just because it pays well wont play out well.

Make sure you have enough time to actually enjoy live. Outside of semester breaks i have a completly free weekend once or twice every two months. No matter if you study full time and work part time or work part time and study full time, it can be very stressful you need to have some fun too.

What you will remember isnt the class you attended it is the one you skive with your classmates to go to the park to sit in the sun talking, drinking laughing, flirting and idling.

I just wanted to update this post, just to express my gratitude for the advice I received and what I have done with it.

I have found, and am due to start, a new job. My current employment ends on 2nd May and I start at the new place on the 6th. It's a nice pay increase and a much more attractive title.

Moreover, I enroll on my Bachelor's degree in Psychology on 24th April, to start September.
It's a lot to take on, but I'm feeling refreshed and excited about the new position I find myself in - and it's all thanks to you guys :D!

The pay increase will fund my hobbies and interests - and the degree will fulfill a dream of mine.

Thanks again!

RSS

Latest Activity

Jay D replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"What exactly is it what you are trying to do? Is this a roleplay thing or do you actually want to learn skills? The things you are talking about take time to learn. People went through year long apperenticeships to learn things like blacksmithing or…"
40 minutes ago
Tony Wolf replied to Joshua Wolf's discussion Fraternal orders for young men?
"Probably about the same thing they'd think of, say, lawn-darts."
1 hour ago
Joshua Wolf posted a discussion

Fraternal orders for young men?

Hello, I am recently returning to these forums after a couple of years with a new-found interest in old world traditions and community building.I want to combine these two interests by forming a fraternal order for young men to be part of a positive group. Because most young men don't have a lot of disposable income the idea would be to facilitate their practical, rather than financial, contributions to their communities.  We would try out and practice old world skills such as blacksmithing,…See More
2 hours ago
Brody Albers replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"I prefer the ESV. I am a theology student and so the "essentially-literal" translation is useful to me since the Bible is the bulk of my research material. For my own personal devotions though I have enjoyed using both the NIV and NLT. As…"
6 hours ago
Brody Albers replied to Kevin's discussion Will someone please explain Jesus to me? in the group Christian Men
"There are many, many theories about what you are asking. Simply put, your question boils down to the purpose of the atonement, or "why did Jesus have to die?". I wrote a brief (2 page) essay on the subject for a theology class which was…"
6 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"LOLOLOLOL I really shouldn't know what that is."
6 hours ago
Brody Albers joined Tookie's group
Thumbnail

Christian Men

Regardless of the specifics, we can all agree on one thing. Jesus Christ was the perfect Man who died and rose again for us such that we could have fellowship with Him
7 hours ago
Will commented on Leto Atreides II's status
"I posted about it even on his status thread.  That's how I found out he was moderating comments.  I suspect no comments will make it through moderation."
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service