I hate the fact that its affecting me as much as it is. Those who followed my last post my girlfriend has ended our relationship and I'm suffering badly.  I'm trying to focus on my life, I'm trying to keep my mind off it but it isn't going well.  

I frigging hate how needy and whiney this is making me.  I feel like a little kid who can't get a grip on my emotions.  I've been doing the exercise, I've been focusing on old projects that I've had on the go.  Anything to stop me from trying to call or text her. I practically invented the no contact rule and here I am fighting the urge to contact her. 

Any advice as to what helped others get themselves together after a breakup would be appreciated.  When I'm focused on something I'm OK but as soon as the task is done I'm right back where I started.

My friend base is right in that age group where everyone is married or engaged and their wives/girlfriends don't want them to come out for a good old fashioned pub blowout with me.  Drinking along at the bar sure isn't my idea of a recovery.

Dammit this sucks.

Views: 800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My take on all this based on experience is taking your passion and transforming it into something positive. The worst feeling you will be experiencing, and probably are right now, is depression and that gloomy and mopy feeling you get. This will take you no where and will only ruin you mentally, scarring for a long period of time. It is easier to move up the ladder of negative emotions until it is positive. You are probably passionately depressed, because you passionately loved her. Turn that depression into anger. Yes, I said it, anger. Try it out, even HATE her for a tiny bit (of course in moderation). Once you get angry about it you feel like it is her fault, and you blame yourself or put yourself down less. Remember, anger is like steam that can get blown off much easier than the so called mucky mud depression. Once you take control of your anger turn that into raw passion. Take the motivation and passion and turn it into something positive. Change your lifestyle and work out, eat right, become a better person. Eventually you will move up the hierarchy of emotions and will be better in no time. Just take that negative passion and turn it into a positive passion.

Hey Bob,

Sorry to hear about your situation, that is much worse than what I've got going on.  If its any consolation, things have gotten better for me and I'm sure they will get better for you too.  As with everything, this too shall pass.

I agree completely about not getting drunk, the most I'll allow myself to have for the time being is 2 drinks. 

Last night we met so she could get her stuff back.  The advice i received on here combined with my own efforts helped me make the most of the meeting.  I've come to accept what is and I'm working on myself and my hobbies now, she was surprised at the change.  We shared one last cup of tea together without discussing the relationship at all.  We had a few laughs and then we parted.  I then deleted all her information from my phone, my emails, my harddrive, everything, and now I am ready to open the next chapter of my life.  Its a wonderful feeling actually, to know that the worst is behind me and there are blue skies ahead.

I know your situation is much different but there will come a time when things turn around and start looking brighter again.  You have a responsibility to care for your child and yourself so make those your priorities.  If she moves further away it will make it more difficult for you but I would stay in your current job and make the commute to see your kid whenever you can.  When you aren't with the rugrat follow the standard breakup workplan: Workout often, eat healthy, reconnect with friends, find what makes you happy and pursue it with all your available energy.  These things have worked wonders for me.  I'm back taking drumming lessons after having not sat at a drumset in over 4 years, I've found a new love in Yoga which I would have never expected, and I've learned some new cooking skills that I can use for future dinner parties and date nights. 

Its been said a million times and it is sooo true, the best revenge is to live an amazing life.

RSS

Latest Activity

Brody Albers replied to Liam's discussion Advice on which translation of The Bible to read in the group Christian Men
"I prefer the ESV. I am a theology student and so the "essentially-literal" translation is useful to me since the Bible is the bulk of my research material. For my own personal devotions though I have enjoyed using both the NIV and NLT. As…"
1 hour ago
Brody Albers replied to Kevin's discussion Will someone please explain Jesus to me? in the group Christian Men
"There are many, many theories about what you are asking. Simply put, your question boils down to the purpose of the atonement, or "why did Jesus have to die?". I wrote a brief (2 page) essay on the subject for a theology class which was…"
1 hour ago
Pale Horse replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"LOLOLOLOL I really shouldn't know what that is."
2 hours ago
Brody Albers joined Tookie's group
Thumbnail

Christian Men

Regardless of the specifics, we can all agree on one thing. Jesus Christ was the perfect Man who died and rose again for us such that we could have fellowship with Him
2 hours ago
Will commented on Leto Atreides II's status
"I posted about it even on his status thread.  That's how I found out he was moderating comments.  I suspect no comments will make it through moderation."
2 hours ago
Leto Atreides II posted a status
"Comments are closed... Comment by John White no comments about the dating scene? Hard to comment when you close comments, Dumbass."
2 hours ago
Leto Atreides II replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Perfect. Dead on."
2 hours ago
Will replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"I'm not sure I full understand the questions here, but if I do, here are a couple of answers: The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.  Rom 14:17 and Signs and wonders shall follow after those…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service