Howdy,

I am the father of a newborn girl, my first child. She is awesome. My wife (her Mother) is also awesome. Right now she is in auto pilot mode of sleeping, eating and pooping and this part is very easy, we just have to make sure she is clean and does not die. All my experience with kids are with nephews so no girl experience. 

What advice can any fellow dads give on raising a daughter?

GO!

Views: 982

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That young, there's really not much difference between raising a boy or a girl.  In my experience, boys tend to be more rambunctious toddlers than girls.  They play differently.  But, the parenting is largely the same until they get to school age. That's when the differences start taking hold a bit more, and the parenting style is more differentiated.

'Til then, teach restraint and respect.  If you threaten punishment, follow through ... otherwise, they'll learn that your rules are more flexible than you say, and your word isn't worth much.  Also, don't over-threaten ... if you don't intend to do it, don't say it.  Love -- but don't coddle.  If you don't let them hurt themselves (obviously not catastrophically), they won't learn to brush themselves off.  Calmness works better for discipline than you'd think.

And, remember ... no kid ever died from an ice cream dinner every once in a while.  Don't get so caught up in raising a good adult that you forget to let her be a good kid.

If you have any specific questions, I might have more for you ... but, general questions get general answers.

JB

Wipe front to back.  Don't be afraid to clean in all the folds.  They like to wrestle just as hard, though not as often, as the boys.  Don't let anyone give her any stupid tiny hair clips, they're worse to step on than legos.  You need to be a better example to her of what a man should be, than you would for a son.

Totally forgot about all that, folds and stuff.

I'll be teaching one to drive soon.

Did that a few years back (twice one girl one boy).  Talk about nerve wracking even with paid driver's ed.

You need to be a better example to her of what a man should be, than you would for a son.

B.I.N.G.O.

This man gets it.

Tricky part; it means you treat your wife, her mother, exactly as you would expect her future husband to treat her.

Also; YOU go have some fun with your wife. YOU get her out. YOU be her stress relief.

Healthy marriages mean healthy children.

I agree. I think that the most important thing to do overall is to love her Mom and treat her like a queen so my kid can see the example.

That seems to be a very prevalent response in this thread and I am defiantly taking note. 

Eh.  Don't go overboard.  This is the 21st century after all.

Of course I will throw in some cold shouldered indifference every now and then too: Ignore her when she speaks, make her open the door for ME, slowly control every aspect of her life and make her give up contact with friends and family... 

That sort of thing.

Totally kidding. 

Win.

Thanks guys I dig these answers. One thing I'm curious about and this may be a silly question but how naturally drawn are little girls drawn to the whole princess thing? Or is this mainly driven by parents and society? 

RSS

Latest Activity

Kit replied to Raul Duron Jr.'s discussion How can I improve my leadership abilities?
"I know nothing of the military, but i've led various research projects and assignments at uni; make sure you get to know the people, and be friendly to them. Admiration goes a lot further than fear."
16 minutes ago
Josh left a comment for Teefs S.
"You´re welcome, TeefsS"
42 minutes ago
Randy Turner joined Herb Munson's group
Thumbnail

The Great Debate

"Iron sharpens iron." A place for men to impact each other by debate and exchange of ideas. This is a group where no ideas are off limits. If your motto is, "I never talk about politics or religion," this group is probably not for you. A "gym" for thinkers.See More
57 minutes ago
Philip Funderburk commented on Philip Funderburk's photo
Thumbnail

SAM_0375

"Thanks, Scott."
1 hour ago
Philip Funderburk replied to Raul Duron Jr.'s discussion How can I improve my leadership abilities?
"I was wondering similar things almost a year ago when I made Sergeant in the Army.  While being active duty is probably very different than reserve, but some things may still apply.  The biggest thing I cannot stress enough is to pay…"
1 hour ago
Philip Funderburk posted photos
1 hour ago
Merinda Wilson posted discussions
1 hour ago
Thomas Unga joined Robert Disque's group
Thumbnail

LDS Men

A place to fellowship and discuss the issues of being an LDS man in today’s world.
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service