Howdy,

I am the father of a newborn girl, my first child. She is awesome. My wife (her Mother) is also awesome. Right now she is in auto pilot mode of sleeping, eating and pooping and this part is very easy, we just have to make sure she is clean and does not die. All my experience with kids are with nephews so no girl experience. 

What advice can any fellow dads give on raising a daughter?

GO!

Views: 1046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That young, there's really not much difference between raising a boy or a girl.  In my experience, boys tend to be more rambunctious toddlers than girls.  They play differently.  But, the parenting is largely the same until they get to school age. That's when the differences start taking hold a bit more, and the parenting style is more differentiated.

'Til then, teach restraint and respect.  If you threaten punishment, follow through ... otherwise, they'll learn that your rules are more flexible than you say, and your word isn't worth much.  Also, don't over-threaten ... if you don't intend to do it, don't say it.  Love -- but don't coddle.  If you don't let them hurt themselves (obviously not catastrophically), they won't learn to brush themselves off.  Calmness works better for discipline than you'd think.

And, remember ... no kid ever died from an ice cream dinner every once in a while.  Don't get so caught up in raising a good adult that you forget to let her be a good kid.

If you have any specific questions, I might have more for you ... but, general questions get general answers.

JB

Wipe front to back.  Don't be afraid to clean in all the folds.  They like to wrestle just as hard, though not as often, as the boys.  Don't let anyone give her any stupid tiny hair clips, they're worse to step on than legos.  You need to be a better example to her of what a man should be, than you would for a son.

Totally forgot about all that, folds and stuff.

I'll be teaching one to drive soon.

Did that a few years back (twice one girl one boy).  Talk about nerve wracking even with paid driver's ed.

You need to be a better example to her of what a man should be, than you would for a son.

B.I.N.G.O.

This man gets it.

Tricky part; it means you treat your wife, her mother, exactly as you would expect her future husband to treat her.

Also; YOU go have some fun with your wife. YOU get her out. YOU be her stress relief.

Healthy marriages mean healthy children.

I agree. I think that the most important thing to do overall is to love her Mom and treat her like a queen so my kid can see the example.

That seems to be a very prevalent response in this thread and I am defiantly taking note. 

Eh.  Don't go overboard.  This is the 21st century after all.

Of course I will throw in some cold shouldered indifference every now and then too: Ignore her when she speaks, make her open the door for ME, slowly control every aspect of her life and make her give up contact with friends and family... 

That sort of thing.

Totally kidding. 

Win.

Thanks guys I dig these answers. One thing I'm curious about and this may be a silly question but how naturally drawn are little girls drawn to the whole princess thing? Or is this mainly driven by parents and society? 

RSS

Latest Activity

Aubrey J. Riley replied to Kneller's discussion business casual shoes for under $100?
"I personally love my Doc Martins. They are pretty non descript, can be shined to a high polish, and are extremely comfortable. I was able to get mine at an outlet store which might be a good idea to bring cost down. Only thing with them is the first…"
1 hour ago
Jay D replied to Padre's discussion Girls in football
"I dont see the problem."
1 hour ago
Jay D replied to Padre's discussion Girls in football
"scarred to get beaten by a girl?"
1 hour ago
Christopher B Miller replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"Butter seems to work for everything else, why not coffee. I'll give it a try. "
2 hours ago
N. Vest replied to Padre's discussion Girls in football
"The main problem with your argument about rights is that you do not have the physical ability need to operate a vehicle, where as the girl in question does have the ability to play football at the needed level or she wouldn't have made the team…"
2 hours ago
Jay D replied to Leto Atreides II's discussion Ferguson Grand Jury Decision in the group The Great Debate
""I notice you left out the Ukraine, where protests & riots led to a change of gov't, a foreign invasion & subversion, & might lead to regime change. There's a case that's obviously nothing to do with poverty or the…"
2 hours ago
Jason V. replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"I take my coffee black (or occasionally with a little Kahlua or brandy in an evening cup of decaf), but I'm intrigued by the butter and coconut oil additions -- I'll try those tomorrow morning! My wife and I were using a Keurig machine for…"
3 hours ago
Andy updated their profile
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service