Howdy,

I am the father of a newborn girl, my first child. She is awesome. My wife (her Mother) is also awesome. Right now she is in auto pilot mode of sleeping, eating and pooping and this part is very easy, we just have to make sure she is clean and does not die. All my experience with kids are with nephews so no girl experience. 

What advice can any fellow dads give on raising a daughter?

GO!

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This. So much this.

Amen, I concur. Hit it on the head, Shane.

And I will vouch that this goes for boys, as well...

Agreed. When the Disney Channel farms "winners" like Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears I would say that you need to steer your daughters away from that junk. Lets start a group. Let's call it F.A.D.D. Fathers Againest Destructive Disney channel. The C is silent.

Hannah Montana wasn't as bad as the shows are today.  I also wouldn't call them destructive, they just teach bad habits out of context to ages which don't understand the concepts.

Miley Cyrus was a sarcastic little punk at times. The worst part of that show was the annoying stereotypes-- the weird brother, the snobbish clique, etc.

Yeah we have zero intention of exposing my daughter to Disney Channel media. From what I've seen it does nothing to encourage sanity in kids! 

Disney Channel is chock full of stereotypes, even the loathed idiot dad.

The dad on Jessie isn't an idiot.  He's never there.  But, he's not an idiot.

I'm referring to Good Luck Charlie and A.N.T. Farm. Farm puts salt on the wound by making the idiot dad a cop of all things.

Jessie just has bratty little kids. Jessie (the namesake character, not the show) is supposed to be an authority figure, and she and the butler guy are made out as nothing more than cannon fodder for the sarcastic little remarks that are incessantly delivered by the kids.

I didn't think Good Luck Charlie was bad.  Dog with a Blog is horrible.  Never saw a dad in A.N.T Farm.  The butler is a doofus in Jessie.  One of the things that gets me is the parents are pretty well absent.  I suppose that was true for the kid shows when I was a kid, but I don't recall any of the adults being stupid.

Yeah, the daughter on Dog with a Blog is a hosebeast. Good Luck Charlie is okay besides the stereotypes, imo. You have the smart and charming sister, the dumb older brother, the evil little brother, the dumb father, and the smart (albeit crazy) mom.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Daniel Rodriguez's discussion Should the salary of persons in the government be just above, or at, the poverty line? in the group The Great Debate
"Also ... the government sets the "poverty line".  If you're going to get government salaries under control by tying them to something, you probably ought to pick something that is set and monitored by somebody other than the…"
11 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Steve Dallas's discussion Best thing on TV EVAR
"I heard about that marathon.  I figured it'd be popular.  I never really watched The Simpsons, though ... so its probably not for me. I remember when The Simpsons was considered an edgy cartoon. JB"
14 minutes ago
Nathanael replied to Daniel Rodriguez's discussion Should the salary of persons in the government be just above, or at, the poverty line? in the group The Great Debate
"This.  The most qualified people are taking significant pay cuts to work for the government anyway.  The problems are the difficulty in firing incompetent government workers and (in some cases, mostly local and state governments) overly…"
20 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Andrew's discussion The History Channel?
"Its because almost nobody watched A&E before Duck Dynasty or Storage Wars.  And the History Channel gets better ratings with Pawn Stars and American Pickers than it did with Modern Marvels.  And, TLC does better with the cooking and…"
30 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Daniel Rodriguez's discussion Should the salary of persons in the government be just above, or at, the poverty line? in the group The Great Debate
"If you want to complain about government or even quasi-government pay scales, look to your state and local government pay rates. As to politicians, a 19th century joke put it this way, "An honest politician is one, who when bought, stays…"
43 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Daniel Rodriguez's discussion Should the salary of persons in the government be just above, or at, the poverty line? in the group The Great Debate
"Disagree.  That sounds like a good way to hire the dumbest, least-qualified, most corrupt people possible. The government won't get smaller.  It'll get worse.  Bribery will be rampant.  Or, it'll only be run by…"
52 minutes ago
Sean replied to Andrew's discussion The History Channel?
"It isn't just the history channel.  I remember that A&E onc stood for Arts and Entertainment and some of the really good shows they now have.  TLC was once the Learning Channel, and they had some great shows.  I remember…"
53 minutes ago
Jonathan Wright replied to Jonathan Wright's discussion Pleasure to meet you all,
"Thanks! I am happy to do it.  "
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service