Howdy,

I am the father of a newborn girl, my first child. She is awesome. My wife (her Mother) is also awesome. Right now she is in auto pilot mode of sleeping, eating and pooping and this part is very easy, we just have to make sure she is clean and does not die. All my experience with kids are with nephews so no girl experience. 

What advice can any fellow dads give on raising a daughter?

GO!

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This. So much this.

Amen, I concur. Hit it on the head, Shane.

And I will vouch that this goes for boys, as well...

Agreed. When the Disney Channel farms "winners" like Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears I would say that you need to steer your daughters away from that junk. Lets start a group. Let's call it F.A.D.D. Fathers Againest Destructive Disney channel. The C is silent.

Hannah Montana wasn't as bad as the shows are today.  I also wouldn't call them destructive, they just teach bad habits out of context to ages which don't understand the concepts.

Miley Cyrus was a sarcastic little punk at times. The worst part of that show was the annoying stereotypes-- the weird brother, the snobbish clique, etc.

Yeah we have zero intention of exposing my daughter to Disney Channel media. From what I've seen it does nothing to encourage sanity in kids! 

Disney Channel is chock full of stereotypes, even the loathed idiot dad.

The dad on Jessie isn't an idiot.  He's never there.  But, he's not an idiot.

I'm referring to Good Luck Charlie and A.N.T. Farm. Farm puts salt on the wound by making the idiot dad a cop of all things.

Jessie just has bratty little kids. Jessie (the namesake character, not the show) is supposed to be an authority figure, and she and the butler guy are made out as nothing more than cannon fodder for the sarcastic little remarks that are incessantly delivered by the kids.

I didn't think Good Luck Charlie was bad.  Dog with a Blog is horrible.  Never saw a dad in A.N.T Farm.  The butler is a doofus in Jessie.  One of the things that gets me is the parents are pretty well absent.  I suppose that was true for the kid shows when I was a kid, but I don't recall any of the adults being stupid.

Yeah, the daughter on Dog with a Blog is a hosebeast. Good Luck Charlie is okay besides the stereotypes, imo. You have the smart and charming sister, the dumb older brother, the evil little brother, the dumb father, and the smart (albeit crazy) mom.

RSS

Latest Activity

Wolf & Iron replied to Daniel Offenbacher's discussion First Girlfriend- How to make it work
"Great replies from the other guys. One of the common pitfalls is that a relationship gets serious, and because you are both young and naïve (no offense) and life is changing pretty quickly, it falls apart and people are crushed and…"
53 seconds ago
Profile IconAjith Rajan and Kevin Holoday Dietrich joined A.C.'s group
Thumbnail

Autodidacts

A group for those who seek knowledge on their own, with whatever discipline they choose.
7 minutes ago
Lee Torre replied to Lee Torre's discussion Lee's Fasted Full-Body Workout Fitness Journal 10/1/2014
"Glad to hear it Augustin! Get it bro! Maybe start a journal too, it'll keep you motivated and accountable. Feel free to let me know how you're getting along in this thread too. I love to trade ideas and chit about fitness."
8 minutes ago
Profile IconAjith Rajan and Kevin Holoday Dietrich joined Herb Munson's group
Thumbnail

The Great Debate

"Iron sharpens iron." A place for men to impact each other by debate and exchange of ideas. This is a group where no ideas are off limits. If your motto is, "I never talk about politics or religion," this group is probably not for you. A "gym" for thinkers.See More
8 minutes ago
Lee Torre replied to Lee Torre's discussion Lee's Fasted Full-Body Workout Fitness Journal 10/1/2014
"I swear by the elliptical for "in the gym cardio", when I'm outside I do alot of running/jogging/walking too."
10 minutes ago
Wolf & Iron replied to Andrew's discussion Young vs. Mature Relationships
"Great discussion topic. Sometimes having an immature relationship with your buddies is a good thing. I'm thinking of how we still fart around each other etc. But I see what your getting at. I think that by mature you mean a relationship that…"
12 minutes ago
Daniel Offenbacher replied to Daniel Offenbacher's discussion First Girlfriend- How to make it work
"I'm 16."
13 minutes ago
Ajith Rajan updated their profile
20 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service