Howdy,

I am the father of a newborn girl, my first child. She is awesome. My wife (her Mother) is also awesome. Right now she is in auto pilot mode of sleeping, eating and pooping and this part is very easy, we just have to make sure she is clean and does not die. All my experience with kids are with nephews so no girl experience. 

What advice can any fellow dads give on raising a daughter?

GO!

Views: 1028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This. So much this.

Amen, I concur. Hit it on the head, Shane.

And I will vouch that this goes for boys, as well...

Agreed. When the Disney Channel farms "winners" like Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears I would say that you need to steer your daughters away from that junk. Lets start a group. Let's call it F.A.D.D. Fathers Againest Destructive Disney channel. The C is silent.

Hannah Montana wasn't as bad as the shows are today.  I also wouldn't call them destructive, they just teach bad habits out of context to ages which don't understand the concepts.

Miley Cyrus was a sarcastic little punk at times. The worst part of that show was the annoying stereotypes-- the weird brother, the snobbish clique, etc.

Yeah we have zero intention of exposing my daughter to Disney Channel media. From what I've seen it does nothing to encourage sanity in kids! 

Disney Channel is chock full of stereotypes, even the loathed idiot dad.

The dad on Jessie isn't an idiot.  He's never there.  But, he's not an idiot.

I'm referring to Good Luck Charlie and A.N.T. Farm. Farm puts salt on the wound by making the idiot dad a cop of all things.

Jessie just has bratty little kids. Jessie (the namesake character, not the show) is supposed to be an authority figure, and she and the butler guy are made out as nothing more than cannon fodder for the sarcastic little remarks that are incessantly delivered by the kids.

I didn't think Good Luck Charlie was bad.  Dog with a Blog is horrible.  Never saw a dad in A.N.T Farm.  The butler is a doofus in Jessie.  One of the things that gets me is the parents are pretty well absent.  I suppose that was true for the kid shows when I was a kid, but I don't recall any of the adults being stupid.

Yeah, the daughter on Dog with a Blog is a hosebeast. Good Luck Charlie is okay besides the stereotypes, imo. You have the smart and charming sister, the dumb older brother, the evil little brother, the dumb father, and the smart (albeit crazy) mom.

RSS

Latest Activity

Chu Kim replied to Chu Kim's discussion Your Vision of Paradise
"I see some readers would like a shorter version. Okay, to summarize, basically if you could create your own paradise, what would it be like? And, do you genuinely think you know yourself well enough to know what that paradise really would…"
3 minutes ago
Chu Kim replied to Chu Kim's discussion You Are All Figments of My Imagination
"Your argument collapses if I never die though right? And since, I have never before been dead, why should I assume that I will? Just because other people have? I am my own individual, all that is, exist because I have perceived it to…"
19 minutes ago
Chu Kim replied to Chu Kim's discussion You Are All Figments of My Imagination
"Thank you sir. I do strive to be original. Frankly, many of the posts I have read seem rather mundane and petty, some of them. I think it is important to question one's sense of reality, as it can lead to greater insight into what this all…"
25 minutes ago
Upside down bloke commented on Harry William Reineke IV's group Monarchists' Corner
"Hello, I am a new member.  I am from a Commonwealth Country so the Queen is our head of state.  She actually sacked our PM in 1975 via her local representative the Governor General.  It's a really famous speech made on the steps…"
2 hours ago
Upside down bloke commented on Badabing's group Wrestling Fight Club
"Congrats George."
2 hours ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Nick F's discussion Is sexual trolling a thing here? in the group Christian Men
"Making the cyclops cry?"
3 hours ago
Matt195 left a comment for adrian
"Welcome to AoM.  Hope it is a great source of great information, etc."
3 hours ago
John replied to Nick F's discussion Is sexual trolling a thing here? in the group Christian Men
"rubbing the buddha "
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service