I am the father of a newborn girl, my first child. She is awesome. My wife (her Mother) is also awesome. Right now she is in auto pilot mode of sleeping, eating and pooping and this part is very easy, we just have to make sure she is clean and does not die. All my experience with kids are with nephews so no girl experience. 

What advice can any fellow dads give on raising a daughter?

Views: 1244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Considering my daughter is 4, almost 5 now... and we've actually TRIED* to "push" her away from the princess thing. It doesn't really work. If she ends up going through a princess phase just run with it as you only have so long with the kids.

I think you'd be surprised what the kids will get into if you let them. Sure my daughter does the whole princess thing, but she loves Shrek, Wreck-It Ralph, Megamind and all sorts of animated movies. But, I don't think the princess thing is as driven by society as some of us would like.

*by tried, I mean we've suggested other shows, movies etc to sort of limit the princess thing. On the plus side, she absolutely LOVES Top Gear. 

It must fill some psychological need.

Sort of like Rescue Bots, Doctor Who (I supervise this one closely), Transformers, Batman, &c. &c., fill one for my little boy.  I wasn't a superhero type, but boy is he.

Thats interesting. Yeah ultimately if she chooses it and her mom and I deem it acceptable media for our household we won't deny her (princess orientated films) but I figure I can limit access to it at least or as you mentioned, we can  suggest other shows. 

I have yet to even dive into the available media for little kids to see whats out there and I'm honestly not looking forward to the process. 

Interesting. Yeah I mean the Disney Princess mindset.  My main concern is I have no frame of reference or interest in encouraging the Princess phase and am curious if its a natural phase all girls go through, maybe to help prepare them for finding a mate when they are older, much like little boys play at the roles they will one day assume such as the protector or hero. Due to my own disinterest in the princess mindset I was thinking if its not something to maybe not discourage but not bring to her attention. OR if it is inevitable I can shift it into a realm where I have more experience like princess Leia of Star Wars fame or Trinity from the Matrix for instance. Though the Matrix will have to wait till she's a bit older of course. 

I would much rather my kid be interested in female role models who are can handle themselves as opposed to the damsel in distress sort of archetype that seems to be pushed on children. 

But this is all theory for me right now and could be totally moot as I will have to see her personality unfold as she discovers what she's into. 

This. So much this.

Amen, I concur. Hit it on the head, Shane.

And I will vouch that this goes for boys, as well...

Agreed. When the Disney Channel farms "winners" like Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears I would say that you need to steer your daughters away from that junk. Lets start a group. Let's call it F.A.D.D. Fathers Againest Destructive Disney channel. The C is silent.

Miley Cyrus was a sarcastic little punk at times. The worst part of that show was the annoying stereotypes-- the weird brother, the snobbish clique, etc.

Yeah we have zero intention of exposing my daughter to Disney Channel media. From what I've seen it does nothing to encourage sanity in kids! 

Disney Channel is chock full of stereotypes, even the loathed idiot dad.

I'm referring to Good Luck Charlie and A.N.T. Farm. Farm puts salt on the wound by making the idiot dad a cop of all things.

Jessie just has bratty little kids. Jessie (the namesake character, not the show) is supposed to be an authority figure, and she and the butler guy are made out as nothing more than cannon fodder for the sarcastic little remarks that are incessantly delivered by the kids.

Latest Activity

Carl Monster replied to RayRay's discussion Hair or Sex?
"Sex and wigs. It's fun, you should try it!"
8 minutes ago
Carl Monster replied to Johann S.'s discussion "The Fear of Having a Son"
"Are you kind, honest fearless and confident? Kids watch what we do as much if not more than listen to our words. How we respond to things, even when we think they are not watching is what we are programming for. In the men's work I've…"
10 minutes ago
Profile IconCHARATH SWAMINATHAN, Thomas, Alan and 4 more joined Art of Manliness
2 hours ago
Matt Eo replied to RayRay's discussion Hair or Sex?
"Work on having confidence in a bald or near-bald state and err on the side of good sex my friend.  Being a confident and bald young guy will set you apart from the dozens of other guys that hit on a woman in one night.  One of my closest…"
12 hours ago
Matt Eo replied to Leonardo McGrabe's discussion Swimwear in the US
"My college experience was about 12 years ago, but any dude wearing anything resembling tighty whities for any reason at any time was the subject of great humor and was either not getting laid or in the .1 percent of extremely fit and confident guys…"
12 hours ago
Native Son replied to John Smith's discussion Home Organization? I need help!
"Sounds like you're using the "Fields' Famous Filing System...based upon the Geological Theory of the Stratum.""
21 hours ago
A Country Dude replied to A Country Dude's discussion Genealogy
"My Hays ancestor Edmond Hays, fought at the Battle of Cowpens "
22 hours ago
John Muir replied to A Country Dude's discussion Genealogy
"On my dad's side: 13 generations ago, minding our own buisness in Orkney, Scotland. The English said: "Hey, why don't y'all move to Ireland and kill some catholics for us?". We said "OK", moved.... the whole thing…"

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service