Pancakes ... what do you call them in your neck of the woods?

While making pancakes this morning for my 12 yr old, it made my think of the different names I have heard them called throughout my travels. I have heard them as ... flapjacks, griddlecakes, hotcakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hotcakes.
Flapjacks or, if I'm cooking, potential fire and health hazards.
Waffles are just pancakes with syrup traps.
The waffle has a much higher surface to mass ratio, leading to more "cooked" area, which is what changes the texture so much. Waffle batter also tends to be a bit sweeter, and has a more international flair. (Just ask the Belgians...but don't ask them at breakfast. Waffles are a dessert item, and I've gotten some dirty looks in the hotel asking after them in the morning.)

French Toast is, of course, a whole different beast. I can appreciate the differences of all three. If I have to pick from the classic version of each, it would be pancakes. But Belgian dessert waffles would trump those. And the Stuffed French Toast at Disneyworld (PB and banana) might be the best of the lot.
Add a little fat to your pancake recipe and you have waffles. Vegetable oil will do, but if you ask me real butter makes a better waffle.
Speaking of "fat" ... my Grandma Austin would save the bacon grease and mix it would brown sugar to but on our pancakes when we had them at their house.
I'm with you completely. The waffle batter usually has stiff beaten egg whites that give them a lighter texture than pancakes. My wife considers them to be much too much trouble at home, so I go out for them.

Oh, and here in VA, we call them pancakes.
pancakes
I don't really have a sweet tooth, though I love the American ability to combine sweet and salty on the same plate as in pancakes with syrup and crispy bacon and sausages....

But, all things considered I'm a fiend for potato pancakes with sour cream. You may know them as latkes but my mum's Polish so I call them placki ziemniaczane....
Kartoffelpuffer.
Pancakes.
They're pancakes unless you're at McDonald's, then they're hotcakes. And this is from growing up in uptown New Orleans.

RSS

Latest Activity

J. D. replied to Andrew's discussion Interesting Article: 'Men Suck At Friendship'
"In my experience, I have found it to be true that most men really do suck at friendship in a big way.  I don't pretend to understand why or have a grasp on all the personal and social issues and pressures that may or may not be…"
18 minutes ago
Jones joined Colton Wilson's group
Thumbnail

Boyhood Restored

I believe that boys should use their time primarily to prepare for manhood. This group is for young men, dads, and other men who have opinions they'd like to share on how boys should grow up or be raised.
1 hour ago
John Muir replied to John Muir's discussion Bulk Shopping For Staples
"I drink a lot of probiotic yogurt and pop the fiber pills... I don't want to get too gross but suffice to say that were my toilet to write a customer review on Amazon, it would say "The package arrived on time and in the desired…"
1 hour ago
John Muir replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Militias, politics, anti-2nd amendment hysteria and the Bundy issue in the group The Great Debate
"There was no mockery in my reply to your bizarre, paranoid, flat-out wrong description of the circumstances surrounding the closure of the refinery. Just facts 'n' stuff.  I really think you should get "men skilled in the…"
2 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Militias, politics, anti-2nd amendment hysteria and the Bundy issue in the group The Great Debate
"I'll see your Grayson and raise you a Wasserman-Schultz."
2 hours ago
Vytautas replied to Zachary Gougar's discussion Greek help in the group The Philhellenes
"What verbs or nouns specifically are you wrestling with?"
3 hours ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Militias, politics, anti-2nd amendment hysteria and the Bundy issue in the group The Great Debate
"Amazing, Johnny - something we can agree on."
3 hours ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Andrew D, USA Ret's discussion Militias, politics, anti-2nd amendment hysteria and the Bundy issue in the group The Great Debate
"J.L.P:  "In contrast to you, I could not possibly care less about your opinion of me. Positive or negative." On the contrary, Johnny.  You crave attention.  You are just as narcissistic as you claim Josh to be, and who you…"
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service