Pancakes ... what do you call them in your neck of the woods?

While making pancakes this morning for my 12 yr old, it made my think of the different names I have heard them called throughout my travels. I have heard them as ... flapjacks, griddlecakes, hotcakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake

Views: 479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hotcakes.
Flapjacks or, if I'm cooking, potential fire and health hazards.
Waffles are just pancakes with syrup traps.
The waffle has a much higher surface to mass ratio, leading to more "cooked" area, which is what changes the texture so much. Waffle batter also tends to be a bit sweeter, and has a more international flair. (Just ask the Belgians...but don't ask them at breakfast. Waffles are a dessert item, and I've gotten some dirty looks in the hotel asking after them in the morning.)

French Toast is, of course, a whole different beast. I can appreciate the differences of all three. If I have to pick from the classic version of each, it would be pancakes. But Belgian dessert waffles would trump those. And the Stuffed French Toast at Disneyworld (PB and banana) might be the best of the lot.
Add a little fat to your pancake recipe and you have waffles. Vegetable oil will do, but if you ask me real butter makes a better waffle.
Speaking of "fat" ... my Grandma Austin would save the bacon grease and mix it would brown sugar to but on our pancakes when we had them at their house.
I'm with you completely. The waffle batter usually has stiff beaten egg whites that give them a lighter texture than pancakes. My wife considers them to be much too much trouble at home, so I go out for them.

Oh, and here in VA, we call them pancakes.
pancakes
I don't really have a sweet tooth, though I love the American ability to combine sweet and salty on the same plate as in pancakes with syrup and crispy bacon and sausages....

But, all things considered I'm a fiend for potato pancakes with sour cream. You may know them as latkes but my mum's Polish so I call them placki ziemniaczane....
Kartoffelpuffer.
Pancakes.
They're pancakes unless you're at McDonald's, then they're hotcakes. And this is from growing up in uptown New Orleans.

RSS

Latest Activity

Andrew replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"A good commitment to make, much respect."
1 hour ago
Andrew replied to Andrew's discussion How do you take your coffee? I prefer it black with a slice of butter in it.
"Interesting! And classy might I add."
1 hour ago
N. Vest replied to James Sullivan's discussion When can a boy learn to fight back?
"My sons have all know how to throw a punch since they were toddlers, not sure this was the smartest idea I've ever had but there it is. Now that my oldest is 7 I'm work on the WHEN to throw a punch. To me the main thing is learning that…"
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Regular Joe's discussion Rockefellers (Founders of Standard Oil) Are Getting Out of Oil & Gas in the group The Great Debate
"That's exactly why it will never happen.  It makes sense, uses existing technology, but unfortunately has a "green, touchy-feely" air about it. combined with the front-end short term costs, that instantaneously converts each and…"
2 hours ago
Bobby Schorr joined Tookie's group
Thumbnail

Christian Men

Regardless of the specifics, we can all agree on one thing. Jesus Christ was the perfect Man who died and rose again for us such that we could have fellowship with Him
3 hours ago
Bobby Schorr joined James Murphy's group
Thumbnail

Wilderness & Urban Survivalists

Manly survival methods for urban & wilderness situationsSee More
3 hours ago
Carl Monster replied to James Sullivan's discussion When can a boy learn to fight back?
"The only time someone has ever attacked me, and I'm including childhood here, was a guy wanting to rip off my clothes. Drunken wedding reception, jump in hotel pool fully dressed with a few other friends/guests, then WHAM, this guy I know…"
3 hours ago
Carl Monster replied to James Sullivan's discussion When can a boy learn to fight back?
"Ha ha"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service