Pancakes ... what do you call them in your neck of the woods?

While making pancakes this morning for my 12 yr old, it made my think of the different names I have heard them called throughout my travels. I have heard them as ... flapjacks, griddlecakes, hotcakes.

Views: 617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Flapjacks or, if I'm cooking, potential fire and health hazards.
Waffles are just pancakes with syrup traps.
The waffle has a much higher surface to mass ratio, leading to more "cooked" area, which is what changes the texture so much. Waffle batter also tends to be a bit sweeter, and has a more international flair. (Just ask the Belgians...but don't ask them at breakfast. Waffles are a dessert item, and I've gotten some dirty looks in the hotel asking after them in the morning.)

French Toast is, of course, a whole different beast. I can appreciate the differences of all three. If I have to pick from the classic version of each, it would be pancakes. But Belgian dessert waffles would trump those. And the Stuffed French Toast at Disneyworld (PB and banana) might be the best of the lot.
Add a little fat to your pancake recipe and you have waffles. Vegetable oil will do, but if you ask me real butter makes a better waffle.
Speaking of "fat" ... my Grandma Austin would save the bacon grease and mix it would brown sugar to but on our pancakes when we had them at their house.
I'm with you completely. The waffle batter usually has stiff beaten egg whites that give them a lighter texture than pancakes. My wife considers them to be much too much trouble at home, so I go out for them.

Oh, and here in VA, we call them pancakes.
I don't really have a sweet tooth, though I love the American ability to combine sweet and salty on the same plate as in pancakes with syrup and crispy bacon and sausages....

But, all things considered I'm a fiend for potato pancakes with sour cream. You may know them as latkes but my mum's Polish so I call them placki ziemniaczane....
They're pancakes unless you're at McDonald's, then they're hotcakes. And this is from growing up in uptown New Orleans.

Latest Activity

Kevin Collier replied to Sen's discussion Most Cost Effective Rifle in the group Riflemen
"J.R. has a very good point about buying used. I am so used to it, I forget that."
19 minutes ago
J. R. Thompson replied to Sen's discussion Most Cost Effective Rifle in the group Riflemen
"While there's nothing at all wrong with buying used, I generally wouldn't suggest it to a first time gun buyer, especially someone with little previous firearms experience. Yes, you can buy one in "like new" condition, but at…"
1 hour ago
Jason Padenson posted a photo
1 hour ago
Pale Horse replied to John Muir's discussion How to avoid a speeding ticket
"Eh, it's best to go with the flow within reason. Just make sure you're slower than the other guy. Unless it's a bloody speed trap. Then don't give those jerks an opportunity to gouge you."
1 hour ago
Daniel replied to John Muir's discussion How to avoid a speeding ticket
"I say it's better to go the speed limit that "go with the flow of traffic" at 90mph. My daily commute is similar, but I go the speed limit, and I've never had anyone crash into the back of me, or felt like a rock in a river. The…"
4 hours ago
John Smith replied to John Smith's discussion Creating an Online Freelance Business?
"Craig, do you think it's worth paying the extra yearly fee ($89 vs. $69) to Divi for the "Premium plugins"? I honestly don't even know what that is."
4 hours ago
Joseph Mcallen left a comment for Tarquin Anstruther
"Hi. Just wanted to apologize for not answering your chat invite. I was at school and had the website running on the back, So I didn't see your mssg until it was time for class to start and I started shutting down all other apps. I'm sorry…"
5 hours ago
Joseph Mcallen left a comment for Chip
"Hey, Chip. Thanks for the invite. I saw you a while ago but as soon as I sent you a mssg it said you had logged out. I guess you are about 7 hours ahead so maybe getting late. Maybe wil meet some other time. Have a good one."
5 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service