Pancakes ... what do you call them in your neck of the woods?

While making pancakes this morning for my 12 yr old, it made my think of the different names I have heard them called throughout my travels. I have heard them as ... flapjacks, griddlecakes, hotcakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hotcakes.
Flapjacks or, if I'm cooking, potential fire and health hazards.
Waffles are just pancakes with syrup traps.
The waffle has a much higher surface to mass ratio, leading to more "cooked" area, which is what changes the texture so much. Waffle batter also tends to be a bit sweeter, and has a more international flair. (Just ask the Belgians...but don't ask them at breakfast. Waffles are a dessert item, and I've gotten some dirty looks in the hotel asking after them in the morning.)

French Toast is, of course, a whole different beast. I can appreciate the differences of all three. If I have to pick from the classic version of each, it would be pancakes. But Belgian dessert waffles would trump those. And the Stuffed French Toast at Disneyworld (PB and banana) might be the best of the lot.
Add a little fat to your pancake recipe and you have waffles. Vegetable oil will do, but if you ask me real butter makes a better waffle.
Speaking of "fat" ... my Grandma Austin would save the bacon grease and mix it would brown sugar to but on our pancakes when we had them at their house.
I'm with you completely. The waffle batter usually has stiff beaten egg whites that give them a lighter texture than pancakes. My wife considers them to be much too much trouble at home, so I go out for them.

Oh, and here in VA, we call them pancakes.
pancakes
I don't really have a sweet tooth, though I love the American ability to combine sweet and salty on the same plate as in pancakes with syrup and crispy bacon and sausages....

But, all things considered I'm a fiend for potato pancakes with sour cream. You may know them as latkes but my mum's Polish so I call them placki ziemniaczane....
Kartoffelpuffer.
Pancakes.
They're pancakes unless you're at McDonald's, then they're hotcakes. And this is from growing up in uptown New Orleans.

RSS

Latest Activity

Josh Allen replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"I would like to take Lamatology worldwide, spread the word in the flesh rather than just the internet. do you know the live events that David Icke does? I would like to do my own live events and travel from place to place discussing controversial…"
3 minutes ago
Leto Atreides II updated their profile
6 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"True about the 'not norm' thing, Rowe has made a decent living doing something that he apparently likes even though it was not his original passion.  I think that happens quite often when we find out that our passions won't pay…"
13 minutes ago
Grecia E. G. replied to Grecia E. G.'s discussion Teddy and the Spanish American War. in the group Teddy Roosevelt Appreciators
"Thanks! I'm excited to give that podcast a listen!"
15 minutes ago
Native Son replied to Nathan Kemp's discussion How to teach sportsmanship in the group Fathers and Sons
"He'll get over it.  You'll get over it. He's five, and this comes with the territory. First question, where's the coach?  A kid who's throwing a tantrum because his team is losing needs to be benched.  No…"
16 minutes ago
Lee Hutch joined Slacker's group
Thumbnail

Writers

A place for writers to discuss and critique projects.
17 minutes ago
David F. replied to David F.'s discussion Civilization Restart Garden
"Yep I know it is hard.  I have to say this months Nat Geo has a great article on the two differing methods of GMO plant production and our advances in food crop production."
17 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Jack Bauer's discussion "Don't follow your passion" -- Mike Rowe
"Although a little bit of insanity helps I think Josh has crossed the line, several times."
17 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service