I found this fine men's clothing catalog and thought I would share it with you all.  This catalog features styles for the Spring and Summer of 1910 (100 years ago!).  The, catalog by Hart Schaffner & Marx, features hand made clothes by the Itasca Mercantile Company of Hibbing, Minnesota.  Hart Schaffner & Marx still exists today: http://www.hartschaffnermarx.com

To give you a scope of what was happening in time in 1910, the Ford Model T had just started rolling off factory floors 2 years prior and the Titanic wouldn't sink until 2 years later. William Taft was President and there were only 46 States (minus: NM, AZ, AK, HI).  The Boy Scouts of America had just been founded and Mulberry Street in New York City looked like this on any given day:

RazorEmporium.com

What I find most interesting are the notes accompanying each illustration; eloquently stating the important things to look for in fine clothing. Enjoy!

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

RazorEmporium.com

Views: 1799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is amazing how many of those pics have gents carrying walking sticks.

I have HSM glasses.
People did a lot more walking back then. You needed a stick to take some of the weight off your feet if you'd been walking all day.

Plus they look cool, plus they're a self-defence weapon...
Yes indeed. Precisely the reason I have an octagonal shaped tigerwood cane in my car. Never know when you may need to take a load off. :-)
Wow. That is really interesting. Most of those styles are what we call classic or unchanging today. Thanks for sharing.
These are awesome
Marvellous.
A wonderful find, Sebastian! Bravo!
Great find. Always amazing to really see how little the classics really change except in some of the fine details.
Interesting. Thanks for the post.
I've always found that their collars were always too big
That is because they wore detachable starched high collars. The fashion for soft collars - which is all that we really see today - did not happen until after after World War One. It only happened because of the number of men that served in the military with the attached soft collar uniforms.
Wonderful.

RSS

Latest Activity

Austin Karn joined Shaun Daws's group
Thumbnail

Men in the Kitchen

This groups if for those men who love to cook. It's a place to discuss techniques, recipes and suggestions. Bon apetit!
7 minutes ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
18 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"My wife has been watching crappy horror movies all month.  Otherwise, not really. JB"
20 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion Break-up or not
"Just to be clear, you're asking if you should stick with a girl who has a history of cheating? "
21 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"That's why I said 'philosophically' rather than 'situationally' or even 'morally'. JB"
26 minutes ago
Josh Allen commented on Josh Allen's photo
Thumbnail

Josh100LuBu - Such A Powerful Photo!

"I know that reality isn't solid or even 'real' its just a projection because atoms have no solidity. You wouldn't get taught about those things in school because the education system is a rinse and repeat method of dumbing down…"
28 minutes ago
Elon Erani replied to Lorenzo Von Matterhorn's discussion Break-up or not
"Lorenzo,         How close r these friends that told u she had cheated on her ex boyfriends? Do u believe them? If yes is the answer, then let her go. How long r u with her, exclusively? U may want 2 ask her want 2 confront her,…"
34 minutes ago
Will replied to Will's discussion What's going on in those heads in the group The Great Debate
"That takes me to a page that said "you're logged out and need to log in." (But I knew you were serious.)"
36 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service