Lately I've been thinking about joining a boxing gym or a martial arts gym to add some variety to my current strength routine.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm looking for advice on what is practical and can actually be used if needed in a streetfight.  Should I join a boxing gym, kickboxing gym, judo, or some other form of martial arts?  I'd like to spar at least once a week so there's that. 

What have you all studied and what did you like about it?  

Thanks for any suggestions.  

Views: 1050

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah but the bald guy in that picture doesn't look like he's maintained himself the same way you have, Andrew. ;)

The old man held his own, sustained a battle wound, and the women look suitably impressed.

I have noticed as I get older training becomes more of a mental chess game driven by will power. I am not as old as some of the members here but at 28 I pay dearly keeping the 18 year old's in line. I have settled into a hybrid form of mixed martial arts with a few guys on base that all come from different backgrounds. we get together and teach each other new things and spar a couple times a month. I have trained in muay thai and submission wrestling, another guy has done a fair amount of judo, a couple others who box, and another guy who is a taekwondo and a bjj instructor.

We all have our own gear from past training and competing and have all stopped a couple years ago because we have families now. It is really good to get together with a experienced bunch and push each other to learn new things and combine different disciplines.

What you're doing is exactly how a lot of present day arts and systems were created. For example, that's how Kajukenbo / Hawaiian Kempo was created.

I joined a boxing gym, and it was one of the best workouts I ever got, I never got into any fights but maybe people just knew not to fuck with me. Boxing is practical as far as having your guard up, fighting stance, and delivering hard and fast blows to knockout you opponent. Also you condition to keep fighting when your out of steam, which is critical. You also are trained to take a punch and to keep fighting. I'd also argue you will develop a harder punch through boxing than anything else and who doesn't want the ability to knock someone out in one punch.

P.S. Good luck finding a boxing gym you like I find the dirtier the better... mine was located in the back of a tow yard.

Boxing and fighting are not about hitting someone hard and knocking them out with one punch. More often than not it is a light counter punch that knocks someone out, it is usually the one that they don't see coming. Smart technical fighting wins over brute strength and hitting hard.

Former UFC champion Chuck Liddell, who won A LOT of fights by knockout, often said that if you're trying to knock a guy out, you probably won't but if you're just trying to make good contact, you probably will.

Chuck Liddell is an extremely gifted fighter. He won allot of the time by beating his opponents liver into submission. MMA fighters do not protect their body as well as boxers due to the dynamic of submissions being more of a danger in the sport. Those repeated hard shots to the liver add up over time. Boxer Micky Ward won his fights against superior opponents by wearing them down with body shots. 

I'm looking for advice on what is practical and can actually be used if needed in a streetfight. 

A streetfight?  Okay.  Look, I boxed in the Army.  I also have a 1st dan in Kuk Sool Won.  I wrestled a little in high school and a little in college.  Took some Judo when I was kid.

For a streetfight,  I have a license to carry concealed.  Get one, and get educated on conflict avoidance when you carry.  A streetfight is usually with strangers and not with some friend.  You don't know what your opponent may have in mind as the endgame.

As for the endeavors you mentioned, pick anyone of them to keep yourself in shape.  However, be careful on the boxing.  I believe it to be the more damaging to the participant because of the repeated blows to the head.

"Kuk Sool Won."

You're only the second person I've ever encountered who's practice Kuk Sool Won!

"I believe it to be the more damaging to the participant because of the repeated blows to the head."

I wouldn't worry too much about that unless the guy was competing regularly. Most training time is spent hitting pads and bags or, at most, doing light sparring with head gear. It's only when you start getting very competitive that you need to keep head / brain health in mind.

I wouldn't worry too much about that unless the guy was competing regularly. Most training time is spent hitting pads and bags or, at most, doing light sparring with head gear. It's only when you start getting very competitive that you need to keep head / brain health in mind.

Okay.  I guess I'm not used to boxing as an exercise thing.  The objective was to always compete.  Even with head gear, still was dangerous due to the repeated blows (we lost one right there in the ring, brain hemorrhage).  In my day the only gyms running this type of training was for Golden Gloves (AAU) competitions.  Guess things have changed.

Kuk Sool Won is a complete martial art.  Forms (to include weapons), techniques for take-downs and come-alongs, joint locking, pressure points, and of course the standard kicking and punching in sparring.  A fun endeavor.  Probably good for a fight, but I prefer what I advised above to carry concealed.

RSS

Latest Activity

O'Neal posted a discussion

Is this negligence?

I've been working in a department store (Belk) inside of a mall for almost three years now. I've never had any security problems and I've always felt safe up until last Friday. I departed from school around 2:20 and I arrived at work at 2:40pm for my 3 o'clock shift. Belk employees have to park on the third floor of the parking deck which I've been doing. On this particular day, the deck was a bit fuller than usual due to the Easter weekend so I parked in the very back of the deck against the…See More
1 hour ago
Aaron F Kendrick replied to Jack Neulist's discussion Finding the "Old Ones": Who really settled North America first? in the group History Buffs
"I can't remember if I have mentioned this before, but there is a book that lays the groundwork for such a question and it was by an author called Barry Fells.  He posited that there were many groups here in what we call the United States…"
1 hour ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Dave's discussion What's your favourite ad that inspires you to be a better man?
" "
2 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Dave's discussion What's your favourite ad that inspires you to be a better man?
"Pavlov and Jung, not Freud, "
2 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Brandon's discussion Admiring aspects of times of oppression
"There has been no era that the following era did not think was oppressive. 100 years from now, they'll think we are all backwards asshats, too. How exactly, is hard to discern. But asshats in their eyes, we will be.   I wouldn't…"
3 hours ago
Brandon posted a discussion

Admiring aspects of times of oppression

I was having a conversation with a woman today and I made a positive comparison to the style and composition of women in the Antebellum South. An African-American lady overheard me speaking and became extremely angry that I made a positive reference to a time when her ancestors were enslaved. I asked her if she thought the bubonic plague was the only thing going on before the European Renaissance, then I asked her if taxes would be the only reason an American would have stayed loyal to Britain…See More
3 hours ago
Adam Parker joined Ian McPhee's group
Thumbnail

The Manly Art of Baking.

A place for all the bakers out there. Come to discuss breads and the art of baking, e.g. things that have worked out or things that you just can't get to work. Open to the beginner and the artisan and everyone in between!
3 hours ago
Adam Parker joined Jeff Bates's group
Thumbnail

Manly Camping

A discussion place for all things camping...equipment, advice, cooking, tips, recommendations, etc.
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service