What kind of experience do you men think help to develop a  male into a man? We all likelt have different ideas about this, and they many not be universal. Try to name one experience that you think ever boy should have that will help him develop into a man.

I will start . I  think every boy should have been in at least one fight growing up. It helps you know what you are made, helps you learn to think on your feet, and make you a little tougher. i would not say that if you have not been in a fight it makes you less of a man, but it is a useful experience in  a boy's development.

Stein

Views: 1250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You always inspire me. Carl. You remind me of one my favorite quotes, from  one of the great boys.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRepZdoRmY

Don't know to respond to that except with a moist "thanks", Stein.

I respect that greatly coming from you, and will try to understand it.

It is a man marker, not a nobility marker. Two different things.

That's the man vs. gentleman thing I guess.

If that's the case I'll throw out getting laid as a man marker.

One thing I would suggest is partaking in some form of martial arts where you have sparring as a part of the curriculum.

i have wanted to take up boxing. Was actually talking about a match wwith a guy here.

One thing I forgot to mention as an experiental passage into manhood.  Forgiveness.  I forgave my father for all the things he had done.  I also forgave him and my mother for divorcing. 

Why is this an important aspect of becoming a man?  It can only happen when you finally see your mother and father as simply human with all the faults, traits, and shortcomings of being human.  When I say this I'm not talking about the typical teenager 'knowing how stupid parents are' I'm talking about understanding how human parents are.

Develop a true thirst for knowledge. Develop opinions. Don't be a sheep. 

Something that I think can help mark a mile stone into manhood is participating in outdoor activities like sports, not only martial arts, but any sport that has consequences of pain and physical mangling.  Example: I took my son on a mountain bike ride down a mountain in Austria. To place your wellbeing in your own hands, to see if you can handle the next hill/curve or root strewn path. To realize that you control your own fate, or you can hop off your bike and walk it. Yes your riding with others, but they can't keep you from crashing, you control that.

So I guess having some form of control over your own safety is what I talking about.

I think moving out from your parents house and earn your rent is important. Teaches responsibility and it´s hard to become a self-reliant person as long as your mother cleans your laundry.

RSS

Latest Activity

Dion Draper replied to Daniel Offenbacher's discussion Favorite TV Shows in the group Film
"Twin Peaks, True Detective and Cheers!"
2 hours ago
Dion Draper replied to Ian M's discussion Film Noir in the group Film
"Brick is phenomenal! Kudos on recommending this gem."
2 hours ago
Dion Draper replied to Travis Spuhler's discussion Greatest movie speech/monologue in the group Film
"http://youtu.be/9FnO3igOkOk ; Many come to mind but in my humble opinion, I think this one takes the cake."
2 hours ago
Dion Draper replied to Dion Draper's discussion Delighted to make your acquaintance
"Thank you all for the welcoming atmosphere and support, I'm glad to be here."
2 hours ago
Lucas Fialho posted a photo

first

first photo to AoM
5 hours ago
Lucas Fialho commented on Specs&Beard's photo
Thumbnail

jmwp1

"Cool Beard =)"
5 hours ago
Carl Monster replied to Davis's discussion Not receiving alerts for discussions I'm following
"Must be buggy."
7 hours ago
Carl Monster replied to Alan Robertson's discussion Getting Back into the habit of exercising. Any tips for getting back into the groove? (MUCH BETTER TITLE)
"Does this f3 charge 130 bucks a month for the pleasure of this camaraderie?"
7 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service