I was thinking of a 10 skills every man should have sorta post, then realized that lots of people aren't exposed to certain things.   So I want to start a string of things that every man should at least experience.  I wanted to say that everyman should own, or be competent, but I reckon a 17 foot canoe is not something you keep in a NY city apartment.  So on the lines of 10 things every man should experience.....

1.  Paddling a canoe, or rowing a boat.  

2.  Fishing

3.  Firing a 12 gauge shotgun

4.  Splitting a piece of wood in one swing

5.  Building a campfire

6.  Cooking a meal over open flame

7.  Hunting (even if just with a camera if your opposed)

8.  Finishing an adventure (white water camping trip, hiking highest peak in your state etc....)

9.  Hitting a target with a bow and arrow.

10.  Spending the night in a tent, at least a days hike from your car.

I understand certain things don't appeal to everyone, but part of being a man is being well rounded.   Not to mention even if you hate em all, you get 10 new stories.

Views: 3443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Plan and perform a roadtrip using just a mapbook.
Rappelling (and all necessary rope setup) would be another.
Spelunking without a map (after several visits, perhaps). Really builds landmark recognition.

I would add to this spending at least one night out camping sans tent. There is something extremey manly about sleeping literally under the stars. Use a ground cloth (tarp) and even a self-inflating air mattress or sleeping pad if you  like, but do it. Lay there and look up at the stars as you drift off to sleep. If you do it far enough away from city lights, there's a good chance of seeing a shooting star.

Bonus points if you ride your horse out somewhere to do this and use your saddle as a kind of pillow for the night.

RSS

Latest Activity

Shane replied to Todd Serveto's discussion Revolting, Macabre Details About Planned Parenthood's Gruesome Barbarism--Where Are The Excuses? in the group The Great Debate
"She needs punched in the face."
2 minutes ago
Travis Spuhler replied to Joshua's discussion Democratic presidential nomination in the group The Great Debate
"There is honest to make-believe-god NO republican candidate who has a snowballs chance in hell of beating a Democrat presidential nominee, again. Seriously, every single current candidate has some major mark against them that means they will not…"
3 minutes ago
Shane replied to Joshua's discussion Democratic presidential nomination in the group The Great Debate
"easier for them to access birth control and their right to choose to get an abortion Lip service.  It can't get any easier, and even if it could, there's nothing the office of the President can do on the issue. He also has supported…"
9 minutes ago
Travis Spuhler replied to Todd Serveto's discussion Revolting, Macabre Details About Planned Parenthood's Gruesome Barbarism--Where Are The Excuses? in the group The Great Debate
"Firstly, this crap has been seriously trumped up by anti-abortion and pro-life groups. http://skepchick.org/2015/07/planned-parenthood-is-not-selling-baby-parts-you-fucking-idiots/ This really is much ado about nothing."
11 minutes ago
Thomas Wayne replied to Joshua's discussion Democratic presidential nomination in the group The Great Debate
"He has a lot of ideas about internal affairs that I like, such as assisting women in making it easier for them to access birth control and their right to choose to get an abortion- both of which in my opinion help women be healthier mentally and…"
29 minutes ago
Shane replied to Todd Serveto's discussion Revolting, Macabre Details About Planned Parenthood's Gruesome Barbarism--Where Are The Excuses? in the group The Great Debate
"I'm pretty sure the negotiation is done before hand."
36 minutes ago
Joe W replied to Regular Joe's discussion What's a brutha gotta do to get some soap on a rope around here?
"Uh, we weren't supposed to talk about that"
40 minutes ago
Joe W replied to Regular Joe's discussion What's a brutha gotta do to get some soap on a rope around here?
"I also use Ax shower gel when I go to the gym. I keep it in a zip-lock in my gym bag, just in case. It is really convenient."
41 minutes ago

© 2015   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service