I was thinking of a 10 skills every man should have sorta post, then realized that lots of people aren't exposed to certain things. So I want to start a string of things that every man should at least experience. I wanted to say that everyman should own, or be competent, but I reckon a 17 foot canoe is not something you keep in a NY city apartment. So on the lines of 10 things every man should experience.....
1. Paddling a canoe, or rowing a boat.
3. Firing a 12 gauge shotgun
4. Splitting a piece of wood in one swing
5. Building a campfire
6. Cooking a meal over open flame
7. Hunting (even if just with a camera if your opposed)
8. Finishing an adventure (white water camping trip, hiking highest peak in your state etc....)
9. Hitting a target with a bow and arrow.
10. Spending the night in a tent, at least a days hike from your car.
I understand certain things don't appeal to everyone, but part of being a man is being well rounded. Not to mention even if you hate em all, you get 10 new stories.
Plan and perform a roadtrip using just a mapbook.
Rappelling (and all necessary rope setup) would be another.
Spelunking without a map (after several visits, perhaps). Really builds landmark recognition.
I would add to this spending at least one night out camping sans tent. There is something extremey manly about sleeping literally under the stars. Use a ground cloth (tarp) and even a self-inflating air mattress or sleeping pad if you like, but do it. Lay there and look up at the stars as you drift off to sleep. If you do it far enough away from city lights, there's a good chance of seeing a shooting star.
Bonus points if you ride your horse out somewhere to do this and use your saddle as a kind of pillow for the night.