Ok, so I have a few weeks a month tops before my next semester of college starts. I want to take some of the extra time this will allot me to invest in reading some biographies of great men....the problem is I'm not sure where to start exactly. I'm looking for suggestions that will be inspirational. Any suggestions?

Views: 1477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sir Ranulph Fiennes - Mad,Bad and Dangerous to know.

Really good read.

Suetonius' biographies of the emperors will give you a nice tabloid read of the Roman rulers.

Joseph Ellis' biography of Thomas Jefferson is really good. Particularly the introduction on the legacy of Thomas Jefferson in America. However, the author has been accused of unethical behavior in his research.

I think in general though, we should question the worth of Great Man History. Seems like a 19th century fad.

Inspirational in what direction: science, art, math, military, politics, philosophy, religion, insert-field-of-interest-here?

I'd suggest select a field of interest first. Then see who the movers and shakers are in that niche and pick one who seems particularly interesting to you.

A good method!

Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnston

A Full Cup: Sir Thomas Lipton's Extraordinary Life.....

McCullough's John Adams is great.

JB

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Right now I would say inspirational in the area of business is what I am looking for.

Then Def check out A Full Cup...

The guy built an empire from some pocket lint, elbow grease and common sense.

I think i'm going to try and find those Ford and Carnegie autobiographies! Sounds interesting...with owning my own business and some other business opportunities out on the table I could use some inspiration in that vein. 

A must-read when it comes out, and with a new album too!

http://www.rttnews.com/1842836/dee-snider-to-release-broadway-album...

Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson by Robert Lewis Dabney, and Patton: The Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945 by Martin Blumenson.  Two of my favorite books about two of my biggest heroes.

RSS

Latest Activity

blackjack posted a discussion

recommend a book

A lot of people ask me which book is my most favorite one, and I always proudly answer them “The Five Thousand Years History”, which is all history about China. This will be a long story for me to read this book. First time I touched this book is when I was 5 years old. My mother bought it to me as my 5-years-old gift. This is a really wonderful present to me,which is opening a history gate to me , a totally innocent boy. I almost forgot the dinner after I read the first page. From then on, I…See More
15 minutes ago
Nick H replied to Sir's discussion The cotton ceiling and other subtleties in the group The Great Debate
"This is an older post but reminds me of when I lived in Montreal for a summer. After it I've decided female beauty has no race. I saw hot women of all races on the streets of that town."
2 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Vendetta's discussion Passive Income
"Youtube channels take a crap ton of work actually if you want more than pocket change."
6 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Vendetta's discussion Passive Income
"Yeah the only thing I can think of that needs almost no work is capital gains."
6 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer replied to Vendetta's discussion Passive Income
"Quite. That income of a manner of rent may qualify in the event that minimal effort would be of requirement."
7 hours ago
Sir replied to Vendetta's discussion Passive Income
"I'm no expert.  But is any of this really passive?  Got a blog?  People won't come if you don't post.  Store?  You need new products now and then."
7 hours ago
Trevor Corey replied to Vendetta's discussion Passive Income
"There's so many ways to acquire passive income: Youtube channel, blog, or even renting out property... First off, what are your key strengths? Are you a good writer? etc Work off that."
7 hours ago
Trevor Corey updated their profile
7 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service