Ok, so I have a few weeks a month tops before my next semester of college starts. I want to take some of the extra time this will allot me to invest in reading some biographies of great men....the problem is I'm not sure where to start exactly. I'm looking for suggestions that will be inspirational. Any suggestions?

Views: 901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sir Ranulph Fiennes - Mad,Bad and Dangerous to know.

Really good read.

Suetonius' biographies of the emperors will give you a nice tabloid read of the Roman rulers.

Joseph Ellis' biography of Thomas Jefferson is really good. Particularly the introduction on the legacy of Thomas Jefferson in America. However, the author has been accused of unethical behavior in his research.

I think in general though, we should question the worth of Great Man History. Seems like a 19th century fad.

Churchill's Marlborough has a claim to being the best history written in the 20th century. Also, I found his autobiography, My early life, quite interesting, because it shows how the man emerged from the Victorian society. It closes with Churchill's entrance in Parliament & his small part in the end of that world.

Inspirational in what direction: science, art, math, military, politics, philosophy, religion, insert-field-of-interest-here?

I'd suggest select a field of interest first. Then see who the movers and shakers are in that niche and pick one who seems particularly interesting to you.

A good method!

Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnston

A Full Cup: Sir Thomas Lipton's Extraordinary Life.....

McCullough's John Adams is great.

JB

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Right now I would say inspirational in the area of business is what I am looking for.

Then Def check out A Full Cup...

The guy built an empire from some pocket lint, elbow grease and common sense.

Ford & Carnegie have autobiographies you might want to read-

I think i'm going to try and find those Ford and Carnegie autobiographies! Sounds interesting...with owning my own business and some other business opportunities out on the table I could use some inspiration in that vein. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Joe Malloy added a discussion to the group Woodworking
Thumbnail

wedding ring box

Hey everyone,My best friend's fiancée just asked me to build a box for their wedding rings to use in the ceremony. Has anyone here ever made something similar or have any advice? I found a design I like here http://imgur.com/a/7sPww and I have a beautiful piece of bloodwood that I want to use for the top. I've never built anything like this so I'm definitely open for input.See More
2 minutes ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"So let's say that this documentary will. What does that translate to as something you will have to contend with?  My thought is that in your household, this sort of attempt at cultural manipulation is going to land on deaf ears. It only…"
14 minutes ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"I believe it very safe to say that no other culture in the history of man has purposely tried to soften and feminize its males and, conversely, harden and masculate its females in an effort  to bring naturally violent and action-oriented males…"
17 minutes ago
Joe Malloy joined Lyle McDonald's group
19 minutes ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"What is it that you think you will have to deal with exactly ?"
55 minutes ago
"Again, will only be huge among those who were already believers. These things preach to their own choirs. "
1 hour ago
"n'kay. "
1 hour ago
Andrew D, USA Ret replied to Augustin's discussion The Mask You Live In - Don't tell boy to man up! (Says video)
"Yes, consideration has gone into roles of males and females to suit the particular conditions and situations of the times and places.  Such consideration became centuries-old traditions because they worked, and were very much in tune with the…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service