Is anyone else fed up with everything that's made in china? If your like me you gotta visit this site madeinusaproductstore.com. They got everything from candles to combat boots. Check it out, start buying american!

Views: 1864

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not knocking it, but $50 for pants is too expensive for me... I get 90% of my clothes from the Goodwill store... $7 for designer jeans.

I wait for sales and stuff like that. I got a "damaged" pair of Khaki dress pants for $20 and there's nothing wrong with them.

I try to buy American as much as I can simply to promote American industry.but,alot of times when you buy American,it's still made somewhere else.It's hard to know exactly where something is made unless you really research it

I looked for jeans made in the US and found that no national brand (Levis, Lees, Wrangler) are made in the US anymore.  I also looked for riding boots and the only ones with a decent name that were made in the US were the Tony Lamas.  Dan Post boots are made in Mexico, which is, at least, our neighbor and has some Western Culture.

The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco did a study that reported that of every dollar spent of foreign made goods 55 cents stays in the US, which is a good thing.  Ok, 55 cents stays in America but if you buy American Made goods then how much stays in the US?  If it is made of 100% American made supplies then 100% stays in the US.  This creates more jobs.  And yes, it is a form of protectionism but when your manufacturing base moves out of country the what is the basis of your economy?  Marketing?  Retail?  Services?  Government?  The base of any economy is manufacturing and food production, everything else depends on these two sectors.  You can't sell what you haven't produced and if you don't produce then you are relying on someone else to do the production, which puts your economy at risk.

How about we reduce the barriers to entry into the manufacturing business for American companies and raise them a bit for the foreign companies?  Raise tariffs and taxes on foreign made products and provide low-to-no interest loans for small and medium manufacturers.  I'm not saying we should shut the doors to foreign goods, but we do need to reduce the trade deficit and these free trade agreements aren't helping any.

Levi's actually does have a limited selection of US-made jeans, but be prepared to pay for it (cheapest ones are $178). Not worth it, IMO, for what amounts to a marginal increase in quality compared to Levis' regular stuff. At that price range (~$200), you might as well pay for true high-quality American-made jeans, like Baldwin Denim or Tellason. For something more affordable, look at Pointer Brand.

Might have a look at Buddy's Jeans out of Texas I think;  www.buddysjeans.com  Mine have held up very well and I kind of beat on them.

For American made boots I like Whites, www.whitesboots.com, semi-custom and extremely well made.  I don't have cowboy boots from them but their work boots are phenomenal.  Also take a look at HH boots www.doublehboots.com  They have an American made line that I have heard is very good.  Usually don't think of Pennsylvania as cowboy country but they have been there for many years.

A rude awakening...

Vast, fast factories overseas is why Apple can't make iPhones here

In part, Asia was attractive because the semiskilled workers there were cheaper. But that wasn't driving Apple. For technology companies, the cost of labor is minimal compared with the expense of buying parts and managing supply chains that bring together components and services from hundreds of companies.

For Cook, the focus on Asia "came down to two things," said one former high-ranking Apple executive. Factories in Asia "can scale up and down faster" and "Asian supply chains have surpassed what's in the U.S." The result is that, "We can't compete at this point," the executive said.

"The entire supply chain is in China now," said another former high-ranking Apple executive. "You need a thousand rubber gaskets? That's the factory next door. You need a million screws? That factory is a block away. You need that screw made a little bit different? It will take three hours."

Another critical advantage for Apple was that China provided engineers at a scale the United States could not match. Apple's executives had estimated 8,700 industrial engineers were needed to oversee and guide the 200,000 assembly-line workers eventually involved in manufacturing iPhones. The company's analysts had forecast it would take up to nine months to find that many qualified engineers in the United States. In China, it took 15 days.

This should not be a surprise.  America has ceded it's manufacturing base and just about everybody looked the other way.  The attitude was 'don't worry we are still #1 in manufacturing plus we sell all these great information technology products and services'.  

Well we are #1 in sales based on selling high value added items like aircraft and heavy equipment.  But China is moving up the supply chain to high value items as well and taking the technology we developed to do it.  Plus the Chinese just steal intellectual property with near impunity.

Still our trade and tax policies favor moving manufacturing overseas.  The idiot politicians beat each other over nonsense; like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Well, we have also ceded responsible use of our country's excellent higher education opportunities to young people, from other countries, who are willing to do the work.  

Very true.  I get the sense of shifting values and a sense of entitlement.  Not sure about how things are playing out right now. But in the past few years some of the best trained engineers went back overseas and others went into heavy duty finance in order to get rich rather than design or build things.

Even in today's economy I see recent college graduates who think they can start at a big fat salary, be promoted quickly and get plenty of time off.  Some even want profit participation right from the get go.  They have this sense of entitlement with no experience and little useful knowledge.  Some are flat out clueless, and more than a few are still holding onto mommy's apron strings.

Even with the horrific unemployment good people are hard to find.  It all comes down to L-A-Z-Y.

I'm no economist, but it seems pretty obvious (to me, at least) that part of our economic 'crisis' is in part due to many manufacturing jobs moving to China (among other foreign lands). I get it, we want low prices, but at what other cost?

We Americans want to have our cake and eat it too. We don't realize that we have to make a sacrifice somewhere. We could sacrifice low prices for higher employment numbers (manufacturing here in the USA) and a more healthy economy. The the higher prices would be offset, in my mind, by the boom in the economy due to the upturn in employment numbers. We instead chose to sacrifice our economy for low prices, and now many of us can't even afford those low prices.

Those are just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong.

I think you are correct in that part of the equation is low prices versus jobs.  But there is also a value aspect as well.

People buy a cheap item made in Asia that lasts a little while and then gets tossed.  In many categories there are goods made in America, Canada and Europe that cost much more but last many times longer.  

To a certain degree Americans have a consumption mentality that some is good, more is better and too much is wonderful.  I'd rather have fewer long lasting, high value goods.  Less wasted space in closets and in landfills if nothing else.

RSS

Latest Activity

Augustin commented on Tim M's photo
Thumbnail

progress pics 4

"Good work!"
16 minutes ago
Lucius Artorius Castus commented on Herb Munson's group The Great Debate
"So.... In otherwords.... The have health coverage...."
18 minutes ago
Lucius Artorius Castus replied to Josh Allen's discussion If you can tell me what religion you are then you are in a prison.
"You need a new vocabulary word for the day"
19 minutes ago
John Muir replied to Cthulhu's Revenge's discussion Happy zombie Jesus day!
"This is the south. We eat dinner at about 2, and it's fried chicken, mashed potatoes with basil from the garden, gravy, pinto beans, asparagus, corn bread, cantaloupe, peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream"
20 minutes ago
Tim Dienes replied to Ricky's discussion Your gay Brothers in the group New Warriors
"Ricky, no offense taken. I do understand."
22 minutes ago
Daryl Millard replied to Daryl Millard's discussion Cricket
"I admit it does have a certain image attached to it due to its traditions and cultures. Many public schools around the world facilitate cricket far better than state schools. The same can be said about rugby, certainly in the UK. That's why,…"
24 minutes ago
MiCHAEL J K. replied to Ricky's discussion Your gay Brothers in the group New Warriors
"I have male friends I do not care who they love or sleep with. I love my friends for who they are."
24 minutes ago
MiCHAEL J K. commented on Will's group New Warriors
"Tim that is great"
27 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service