Hey Gentleman, a bit of a sad subject here. One of my coworkers had a child recently (named him Hudson Hawk, how legit is that), a baby boy and after being home for a couple of weeks the baby died of SIDS. I am going to the visitation tomorrow and would like to give something to the father, any ideas outside of the usual flowers and such. 

Thank you sirs. 

Tags: children, death, funeral

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A hug.

True that

Nothing is more painful to a parent than the death of their child. Nothing. I have served in the Army for many decades and intimately know death from long, painful experience. The only thing you can do is offer condolences (sympathy) for their loss and mourn silently with them. Be fully present with them in their time of unimaginable grief – no chatting, joking, checking your watch, texting, answering your cell phone (leave the damned cell phone in the car!), or averting yourself in any way from their anguish. At most you might offer something like “Please let me know if I can do anything for you”, but say absolutely nothing else. Above all, do not attempt to philosophize about the greater meaning of death, life, or healing. Many jerks have done that during the innumerable funerals I’ve attended over the years and I can assure you such ignorance of human suffering is not quickly forgiven. This time of mourning is for THEM, not you, so all you can or should do is silently and respectfully mourn with them.

My neighbors lost their three-year old in October to the flu (it kills, get vaccinated).  The service was heart-breaking.  The church was packed with adults singing children songs.  It made you want to run home and hug your kids the rest of the day.  During the service, the minister offered advice to the crowd.  Bad things happen.  Don't try to justify it or place blame.  It's not anyone's fault.  It wasn't God's will for the child to die.  You don't know the pain they feel.  Console the family.  Be supportive in the coming days.  Say hello when you see them and help them not feel isolated.

I wen't to a funeral of a coworker's son.  In lieu of flowers, our office gave her a gift certificate to a nursery to plant a tree in his memory in the spring.

Nursery, man that is a cool idea. Thanks for that. 

"I'm terribly sorry."  There's nothing better that can be said.

What to give?  I don't know.  I can't think of anything relevant.

I agree about the hug and the silent presence.  A quote from Allan Quatermain, when his two friends come to visit after the death of Quatermain's son:

"All this while Curtis and Good had been silent, feeling, I suppose, that they had nothing to say
that could do me any good, and content to give me the comfort of their presence and
unspoken sympathy; for it was only their second visit since the funeral.
And it is, by the way, from the presence of others that we really derive support in our dark
hours of grief, and not from their talk, which often only serves to irritate us.
Before a bad storm the game always herd together, but they cease their calling."

RSS

Latest Activity

Jai Chipperfield replied to Josh Williams's discussion The issue of height
"I'm 6'1. I suppose I'm tall but not very tall. I don't think height has any bearing on confidence."
2 minutes ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Jai Chipperfield's discussion What to wear to a vineyard
"Outdoors tasting: Dress shoes, stylish blue jeans, a polo style shirt and semi casual sport jacket is fine.   If the tasting is indoors, dress one step up from that.   If the tasting is in a restaurant, dress one more step up…"
3 minutes ago
Steve Dallas replied to Jai Chipperfield's discussion What to wear to a vineyard
"Where are you at? If you were in the Texas Hill Country for one of the many vineyards on the 290 trail, I would say nice jeans with cowboy boots and a nice button up if you are also there to network. Would say the same for the Sonoita wine area…"
3 minutes ago
Rebekah replied to Jai Chipperfield's discussion What to wear to a vineyard
"In Napa, nice jeans, non-shiny leather shoes, belt to match shoes, long-sleeve button-down, sport coat, no tie Don't know about other wine-growing regions"
4 minutes ago
Josh Williams posted a discussion

The issue of height

I am a rather average man of height standing at a regular height of 5'10. I would like to be taller because I feel it would increase my confidence and level out the playing field that is dating. Does anyone mind sharing their height and discussing how it has affected their life? Please share. Thank you.See More
8 minutes ago
Jai Chipperfield posted a discussion

What to wear to a vineyard

I'm going to a wine tasting and vineyard tour event. There's also a bit of networking opportunities to be had. Any ideas of what to wear? My natural instinct always leads me to a waistcoat. Maybe a suit. Maybe a tweed jacket. But if I'm touring a vineyard, there's a possibility it could be muddy. Then there's the wine tasting and networking with possible future employees, I still need to be on top form with my clothes. Any ideas?See More
10 minutes ago
Walter B. Pewen replied to Lev Nikolaevich's discussion Thoughts on Sexuality: Does It Matter?
"Also Mike clearly we're different.  Betcha I've seen more of your side of the fence than you've seen mine, huh?"
11 minutes ago
Jason replied to Lev Nikolaevich's discussion Thoughts on Sexuality: Does It Matter?
"Sand... well damn I've been using crushed glass on my mangina... hahahaha"
18 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service