I've been thinking about leaving the Pharmacy Tech. World and becoming an Electrician.  

There are a lot of physical comforts, no heavy lifting, A/C work space. At times: Simple and easy fixes. Alright benefits.  Also, polite and grateful customers... sometimes.

The downside?  Customer service: people not understanding their insurance and taking it out on you.  People dangling their health over your head to manipulate you. Certain Co-workers seem to not care, and at times you are affected by piss poor performance; or people making promises to customers to make them go away and they complain and get mad at you when they are not met.  VERY cramped work space.  Constant sound of phones, air compressor blowing pills, cars going through the drive thru. (Diesels with flow masters.) Corporate policy misleading customers and trapping them, making them angry.  (Oh, we don't have a 4-dollar list anymore, but if you ask every visit we will price match)

There really is no room for advancement in the field unless I spend 2-5k sometimes 10k in order to earn... 2-3 dollars more and have to spend more money in keeping up with training.  Also, there is a bit of monotony to the job.  I find myself getting more and more apathetic towards the job and sometimes the people and I don't like it.  I've been trying to change my outlook on the job and try to put things behind me.  At times, it works,  I get there, get into good rhythm and face anything that is thrown at me.  Other times, I get stuck, can't do anything, shit hits the fan and I grit my teeth and bear it.  I've tried to take on other side jobs, that way i could learn more. But: it seems that they only want me to work in one area up front, or to take on certain jobs that they don't feel like dealing with that day.  I'm not sure if I'm just incompetent, or they just don't want to get out of their area so there really is no rotation.

Anyone here have any friends in the field?  I've been doing research and it seems likea  pretty interesting profession.

(edit:  Excuse any sort of errors, wrote this after a long and difficult day.)

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you a pharmacist, or an assistant?  If it's assistant, surely it's dead-end, right?

I can understand why you'd want out:  every time I go to a drugstore, I see a bunch of people typing into computers instead of dispensing medicines.  It looks frustrating.

But I suppose every job has its aggravations.  I wonder if there's a way to find out what being an electrician is like.  I spent a day with a plumber friend once just to see what plumbers do.

I'm a technician, I assist the pharmacist and customers.  Where I'm mostly put is where I have to interact with customers constantly whilst doing side jobs on down time.

When you get up to the counter, I'm the guy wearing scrubs or a polo, not a white jacket or dress shirt and tie.

I made the change from a dead end job to a career as an electrician six months ago. I love my job! I see different places every day, and there are new things to learn. It's hardly ever boring. The apprenticeship program is nice. I work and live in Utah, which is a right to work state, and my company is non-union, so my experience is likely to be different from others, but often your employer will pay for your education. Mine will fully reimburse the cost of my education two years after any licensing; basically two years after I get my residential journeyman's license, they will repay me all of the costs I've incurred for school up to that point. Two years after my full journeyman, they'll do it again. That's my company's policy, but some pay for school right away, others don't pay at all. It really depends on where you live and who you work for. School time also varies. I go to IEC (Independent Electrical Contractors) of Utah for schooling, and they have programs all over the country. Look for one in your area. Their program is four years. Unions usually have their own schools and (as far as I'm aware) are usually five year programs. If you live in a union state, you may or may not be able to do a school like IEC. Just look into it. I'm not sure what else to say without more specific questions on the matter.

I started my career as a industrial electrician but i gave up this path with the financial crisis 2008. When the industry didn't hire i took the chance to go back to school and then college. Just going to give you a few pro´s and con´s.

Pro:

- There is always work.

- The work can be quite interesting on the industrial side (automation stuff etc).

- The payment is good for a blue collar job if you work for an industrial company.

- Electricians wont be replaced by robots, since they are the ones replacing others with robots :D

- Good paths that lead up to better jobs, Electrical Technical, Electrical Engineering. The field is huge, you could basically become a electrician working full time as programmer.

Contra:

- It is dangerous. Risks go from to regular minor cuts up to death.

- The payment is bad if you don't work for an industrial company.

- Work can be grueling if you don't land a industrial job.

- It can be a "better go up or get out" kind of profession. In the most basic form, being  an electrician can ruin your body (like being a tiler).

While I'm not an electrician I am a low voltage engineer who works with electricians regularly and my grandfather was a master electrician.  I've spent the better part of a decade dealing with crappy customers both in and out of retail and well I feel for you because people are shitty and stupid most of the time in those settings, myself included (come on we've all been there).

Electricians can get paid quite well, I knew one that made over 100k a year and only worked 9 months of the year.  He was union and a journeyman though which makes a huge difference.  Some things to keep in mind that the job is very physically demanding, its going to be hourly so if you don't show for work you dont get paid and if your body breaks you dont make money.  and to echo Jay's point the job can be very dangerous up to and including death.

Not that its relevant to the post but now that I'm musing I think I'd probably be a dentist if I had to do things over.  Those guys make a boat load of cash and barely work.  Their assistants do all the work.  Not saying i'm a lazy slack ass but I have a lot of years of 60+ hour weeks both behind a desk and in the field and really want a break.  If you are a dentist and read this please correct me if I'm wrong, or let me dream...

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"Daggumit, Shane, read Dune."
11 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Or better yet, think of the people who unironically have waifus!"
13 minutes ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"Wow, congratulations. My goal is just to have a more healthful diet. I am not overweight, but I do have a family history of diabetes, and I know eventually when I'm older that eating junk food will have greater consequences. Thanks for the…"
14 minutes ago
"Good point on changing the mindset. I think most of us have an "I shouldn't" frame of mind rather than an "I don't" frame of mind, at least when it comes to vices. I'm not sure I want to watch one of those…"
17 minutes ago
"Same here, an ice cold coke is one of the best things on earth. Mexican coke is more expensive here too, so maybe if I only drink that I'll cut down out of monetary necessity!"
21 minutes ago
Braeden replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"If Shane and Clinton have united against you, its time to stop and think about your life."
24 minutes ago
Sir replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"It's always possible to put spin on.  Doesn't mean much, though."
25 minutes ago
Clinton R. Ausmus replied to Lumberjoe's discussion What happens when Islamic sexism meets Icelandic feminism / gender equality? Let's find out! in the group The Great Debate
"You completely missed the point..."
30 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service