Howdy all. I had a thought today, while in a moment of down time. My current job entails long drive hours (3 hours is common, 8 hours at a stretch is not out of the ordinary) and I'm lucky enough to have a squad with an auxiliary input jack that allows me to play my iPod through the stereo. I've noticed in the past few months that my musical tastes have shifted somewhat; although always eclectic, I've actually started purchasing entire albums rather than singles, especially rock operas and theme albums. Out in the barren wasteland that is Nebraska, the only alternative is to listen to the small town radio stations which are almost inevitably country stations; I would rather pull my own teeth out with rusty pliers than listen to that for 3+ hours, and talk radio puts me to sleep (not a good thing when driving an ambulance).

So far I've accumulated: The Wall- Pink Floyd,  21st Century Breakdown- Green Day, Tommy- The Who, Down To Kill- Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles, and Danger Days: The True Lives of The Fabulous Killjoys- My Chemical Romance.

My question is thus: If you have to go on a long car trip, what are you listening to? Talk radio, News, XM, or your own compilation?

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Japanese or Korean pop.  Unique choice of genre.

Some of it's pretty catchy.

I listen to podcasts..similar to iTunesU (just heard of this gonna take a gander).

I enjoy:

-Dan Carlin - Common Sense

-Any of the How Stuff Works

-The Suave Lover podcast

-Pickup Podcast

-Sex Nerd Sandra

and a few others, but those are the main. Disclaimer: Suave Lover is the podcast I co-host, and I still listen to it. Enjoy. Personal development. Oh ya, audio books interest me too.

I would give jazz and classical a try on public radio. But if you want to stay in rock, I would give King Crimson, Hawkwind, Rush and Peter Gabriel-era Genesis a listen. They have longer, more involved songs that don't suck. I don't like most progressive rock, but you could give that a listen, too.

Being a musician and former music student, I have to switch what I'm listening to fairly frequently to keep interested. My one-way commute is 30-45 minutes, and it would be no surprise to hear me listening to our local classical station one day and then something really heavy like Trivium the next.

For longer trips, I once again would try and find a classical station, OR a good Blues playlist. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, all with my windows down and my Ray-Bans on.

Books on tape

I do love books on tape...where do you find your suggestions?

My favorite long haul music

The Avett Brothers

Anything by Johnny Cash

Led Zeppelin

Jamey Johnson's tribute to Hank Cochran album

Lynard Skynard

Latest Activity

Chris Pogon joined Mike Norris's group

A group for watch aficionados
2 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to IThinkTherforeImMan's discussion Stoicism and Plato's tripartite theory of soul in the group Stoicism
"I honestly don't see how they can be directly compared. They seem like such different ways of approaching different questions, that trying to contrast them is nearly futile.  Can you expound a bit on where you think the central conflict…"
3 hours ago
Chris Pogon joined Rob Markoski's group

For the discussion of the Philosophy of Stoicism.
4 hours ago
Profile IconRoberto Felix and Chris Pogon joined J Roman's group

Higher Education

From the the original Latin word "collegium" an "universitas". Join us in the discussion of all things of higher education. Financial Aid, Traditional Learning, Vocations, Liberal Arts, balancing life and furthering an education.See More
4 hours ago
Joshua replied to Stuart Charles's discussion Work, work...
"In my 25 years I have worked a decent amount of jobs so far.  When I was in around 4th and 5th grade I used to work for a local family that make maple syrup by cutting tubing during the summer.  fast forward to 8th grade and I was working…"
5 hours ago
Chris Pogon joined Andrew LaBrador's group

Pipe & Co

A place to discuss the return of the pipe and the world of pipe smoking.See More
7 hours ago
Chris Pogon joined Justin Lloyd-Miller's group

The Appreciation of Motoring

This group is meant for the appreciation of a lost art among men: Motoring. Motoring differs from driving in the sense that it is an enjoyable activity, often precipitated by true gentlemen who have a passion for the open road and what it offers.
7 hours ago
Chris Pogon replied to Jim's discussion So what games are you playing? in the group Video Gaming
"Lets get some life back here! I have been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer lately, very fun and hard game! Unfortuanately I don't have muc time for gaming anymore, so it's the only game I have played in a few months."
7 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service