Howdy all. I had a thought today, while in a moment of down time. My current job entails long drive hours (3 hours is common, 8 hours at a stretch is not out of the ordinary) and I'm lucky enough to have a squad with an auxiliary input jack that allows me to play my iPod through the stereo. I've noticed in the past few months that my musical tastes have shifted somewhat; although always eclectic, I've actually started purchasing entire albums rather than singles, especially rock operas and theme albums. Out in the barren wasteland that is Nebraska, the only alternative is to listen to the small town radio stations which are almost inevitably country stations; I would rather pull my own teeth out with rusty pliers than listen to that for 3+ hours, and talk radio puts me to sleep (not a good thing when driving an ambulance).

So far I've accumulated: The Wall- Pink Floyd,  21st Century Breakdown- Green Day, Tommy- The Who, Down To Kill- Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- The Beatles, and Danger Days: The True Lives of The Fabulous Killjoys- My Chemical Romance.

My question is thus: If you have to go on a long car trip, what are you listening to? Talk radio, News, XM, or your own compilation?

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I listen primarily to local and syndicated talk radio, but when I'm in the mood for music it's usually Japanese and Korean pop, or my William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy CDs.

Japanese or Korean pop.  Unique choice of genre.

JB

Some of it's pretty catchy.

If it is the wife and I, and we are both awake it is usually Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius(Classic Country). If she falls asleep I'll see if any Texas artists are playing on Outlaw(and usually there isn't) so it is over to Lithium.

If just me, and I'm going to the lake house or where I hunt, I'll listen to some of my live albums(Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Ragweed, etc)

I listen to podcasts..similar to iTunesU (just heard of this gonna take a gander).

I enjoy:

-Dan Carlin - Common Sense

-Any of the How Stuff Works

-The Suave Lover podcast

-Pickup Podcast

-Sex Nerd Sandra

and a few others, but those are the main. Disclaimer: Suave Lover is the podcast I co-host, and I still listen to it. Enjoy. Personal development. Oh ya, audio books interest me too.

I like my XM radio for long drives.  The 9 hours from Kansas City to Denver drive is just a killer.  XM signal is always strong and offers lots of variety.  Talk radio is good for long trips.  I will switch from music to news just to make sure the world hasn't ended during that drive.

If XM is an option for you, consider a lifetime subscription.  You can transfer it to a new car or sell it with your old car.

I would give jazz and classical a try on public radio. But if you want to stay in rock, I would give King Crimson, Hawkwind, Rush and Peter Gabriel-era Genesis a listen. They have longer, more involved songs that don't suck. I don't like most progressive rock, but you could give that a listen, too.

Being a musician and former music student, I have to switch what I'm listening to fairly frequently to keep interested. My one-way commute is 30-45 minutes, and it would be no surprise to hear me listening to our local classical station one day and then something really heavy like Trivium the next.

For longer trips, I once again would try and find a classical station, OR a good Blues playlist. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, all with my windows down and my Ray-Bans on.

Books on tape

I do love books on tape...where do you find your suggestions?

My favorite long haul music

The Avett Brothers

Anything by Johnny Cash

Led Zeppelin

Jamey Johnson's tribute to Hank Cochran album

Lynard Skynard

RSS

Latest Activity

Liam S. replied to Harry Mcgrath's discussion Finding a Taylor
"Expand your search to terms including "alterations" and "seamstress" - you should be able to find someone nearby you can reliably bring things to. "
2 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to Native Son's discussion Ukraine. in the group The Great Debate
"I'm sorry you can't follow my logic about the courts. Anyway, I have a computer algorithm that I used to determine fault but I did round off the numbers a bit.  The Malaysian Air fault is actually 89.689323115982234980% and the…"
7 minutes ago
Daniel replied to Daniel's discussion Decorating my apartment medieval style?
"Maybe my explanation was a bit too extreme. I am trying to make my place have that "old world" appearance. Perhaps not stubbornly medieval, but I would like it to have that simple yet old fashioned feel to it. Perhaps a better comparison…"
14 minutes ago
Rick Shelton replied to RM's discussion Girl at work
"I have to agree with Joe on this one.  If she didn't open up to you at the lunch then she's not that interested in you."
14 minutes ago
Jack Bauer replied to RM's discussion Girl at work
"Invite her somewhere outside of business hours.  Lunch on Wednesday is ambiguous (friend, colleague, date?).  Dinner and dancing on Saturday night is not.  That'll get you the clear answer you're wanting ... though…"
23 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to RM's discussion Girl at work
"What do I get? "
31 minutes ago
Regular Joe replied to Native Son's discussion Ukraine. in the group The Great Debate
"The problem isn't Hamas using human shields. The problem is an illegal occupation and the ongoing violation of basic human rights resulting in an asymetric conflict. And it's a chicken / egg situation. See South Africa for how it can be…"
35 minutes ago
Vytautas replied to RM's discussion Girl at work
"Man, you are just killing it lately. You win."
36 minutes ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service