A couple of articles to get thoughts going:

Loneliness...

...in middle age.

...in the gay community.

(If you have other good articles for other sub-groups or aspects, sure, post 'em.)

As for me, I relate to the "in middle age" part, as I'm just too busy to have any sort of regular -- or irregular -- time to get together with a friend.  Difference is, I don't really miss it, for now at least.  I feel some unease as if I should miss it.  

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reminds me of a poem I wrote several years ago - before I got married. I published it in the comments thread in "Dead Poets". The title is "The Empty Seat"

There’s an empty seat beside me; vacant by my choice.

I chose to live alone and free, with no companion voice.

I savored solitude and silence, unbound by another’s will.

But lately in the seat I sense a void that joy could fill.

There’s an empty seat beside me, though many there have taken rest.

And some clung to it dearly when I tired of it’s guest.

But I’d given my disclaimer when beauty settled there -

I‘d remind her who she knew I was, when she started the affair.

There’s an empty seat beside me that I dread when I come home.

Temples grayed and youth has fled, my selfishness outgrown.

Each night I retire to an empty bed and wonder - is it too late to meet

A partner I could love and wed, to fill the empty seat.

RSS

Latest Activity

Ameretta replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
" You seem to have a problem with me "
2 hours ago
Ameretta replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Even the literal definition debunks your argument"
2 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"That's the point though, it's not exclusive."
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Sure, but you're still being exclusive when it suits you (not that there's anything wrong with that)."
3 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Usually only spam, but every once in a while (no, not often). If he was online, I'd have discussed with him first and asked him to delete it."
3 hours ago
"No, you can prefer something, while still not rejecting another. I prefer olive skinned women, but I have dated black women and very fair skinned women. I don't necessarily exclude them by preferring something else. "
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Ameretta's discussion Should I kill Myself Because I am a black woman?
"Y'all delete comments? Often, or just when I see one of you post that you have?"
3 hours ago
"2. Preference does not equal exclusion."
3 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service