I'm challenging the community to amass a list of carefully chosen books that contain legitimate and useful information for a man's self improvement and growth in all areas of life.

For example, if we were to choose the topic of "finances" first, I would submit the following:

Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill
The Richest Man in Babylon, George Clason
The Millionaire Next Door, Thomas Stanley & William Danko
The Wealthy Barber, David Chilton

Only submit books that you've personally read and can guarantee the value of the book's contents. We're not looking for Orzman's or Ramsey's quasi-advertisement publications.

Quality over quantity, gentleman. :)

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am reading the 48 Laws of Power now...
Walter Newells The Code of Man

General principles of Manliness, aided by well educated research from biographies and classics (it also serves as an excellent reading-list generator for manly books)
Can recommend a trio of boks by one author. SHUT UP, STOP WHINING & GET A LIFE, It's Called Work for a Reason and You're Broke Because You Want to Be by Larry Winget.
The books everyone is suggesting are great! Great work, guys!
7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey
The Speed of Trust - Stephen M. R. Covey
How to Win Friends & Influence People - Dale Carnegie (Great AoM book, written in 1936)
Getting Things Done - David Allen
I second "How to Win Friends...". I also liked "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living", also by Dale Carnegie.
Came here to post How to Win Friends & Influence People - Dale Carnegie, but ya beat me to it :)
I'm reading I will teach you to be rich by Ramit Sethi right now. Extremely good book. He has a blog with the same name. Don't let the campy title fool you. Solid, action-focused advice with no navel-gazing. In a similar vein, The four-hour work week by Tim Ferriss changed my life for the better. The basic message is automating your income to free your time for what is truly important (along with helping you define what is important to you). I'm not all the way there, but I'm working towards it.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is fiction, but the emphasis is similar. The story follows a young boy trying to meet his Personal Legend. According to the book, a Personal Legend is "[...] what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is." He meets people who gave up on their legends, who accomplish theirs, and the obstacles he meets. Very powerful book, and world record holder for most translated book by a living author.

Edited for formatting
read the U.S. Army Special Forces Handbook (the green book), A great source of...everything.
Eliyahu M. Goldratt - The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
I would suggest Paisley Goes with Nothing: A Man's Guide to Style by
Hal Rubenstein.
Law of Success by Napoleon Hill
Goals! by Brian Tracy

RSS

Latest Activity

Sumner25 replied to Sumner25's discussion Exercise for bad disk in the group Exercise
"Thanks, this looks great. I'll give them a try."
1 hour ago
Shane replied to Sumner25's discussion Exercise for bad disk in the group Exercise
"Dr. Stuart McGill's Big Three."
1 hour ago
Sumner25 added a discussion to the group Exercise
Thumbnail

Exercise for bad disk

Hi, there,I have what I believe is a stressed disk in my lower back. It is aggravated by lifting up straight in front. Carrying boxes, picking up things from the floor, and similar motions are anywhere from challenging to impossible when it is acting up. Anybody have suggestions for a workout regimen to strengthen my core without stressing my spine? Burpees, for example, seem to make things worse. I think a stronger core would take some of the load from my spine and keep the pain to a…See More
1 hour ago
Profile IconSumner25, David Varella and Bear77 joined Steven C.'s group
Thumbnail

Exercise

Exercise is a crucial part of maintaining a manly physique. Join up to share ideas, get support and discuss plans with other men.See More
2 hours ago
Bearwolf joined Matthew Robertson's group
Thumbnail

Traditional Catholic Men

This is a group for traditional Catholic men to share their experiences, ask questions and help each other keep the faith.
2 hours ago
Chatmonkey replied to Chatmonkey's discussion Young 'boy', Looking for guidance.
"You are exactly right Ge. Despite my cheap living conditions currently, living expense is something that I have in the past made the mistake of indulging in as I tell myself 'i'll eventually have enough to cover it'. I always want to…"
4 hours ago
Gentleman Engineer replied to Chatmonkey's discussion Young 'boy', Looking for guidance.
"One would likely discern the expenses of residence within Toronto to exceed that of Regina."
4 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Pope Paul's discussion 10 Rules to Being a Gentleman in 2015
"Yes."
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service