F*ck it! I'm shaving my head for now on. Any advise for this newcomer of the bald?

So I've finally come to terms with my thinning hair and kneecap looking bald spot on the back of my head. It's time to say farewell to my hair and embrace the manliness of the shave. I'm only in my second week now and have found that I go through 2-3 disposable razors (Schick ST2) every time I shave. I start by using my trimmer (a mini Norelco), a few sessions with a hot washcloth, followed by a rubdown with shaving cream (Burt's Bees for Men), and then a close shave mirror side. Sometimes I'll do some blind cleanup work under a shower, but other than that, that's about it. I'm finding that this ritual is taking sometime to master and is starting to eat a hole in my wallet. Any advice on a good long lasting razor or a time saver for this new bathroom regiment?

Tags: advice, hair, head, razors, shaving

Views: 1756

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, slybaldguys.com is a great website.

just do it, been shaving my head for years. just get good razor to shave with. I shave on sunday, wed, and fri

Ooh, I wonder what's behind that asterisk! Is it an or a 7...?? Or maybe an ampersand... or even an interrobang! Gee, the suspense is killing me!

I've been using the headblade for over five years and cant say enough good things about it.  I use the original sport model with their headslick shaving cream and get great results and very few nicks etc... 

I guess it depends on what you mean by shave, but, if you aren't set on baby-bottom smooth:

I just use inexpensive electric clippers designed for cutting hair, set to the lowest setting, and cut my own hair down to a close stubble once a week, it usually takes about 10 minutes, tops.  You don't need anything fancy - mine came with a bunch of wacky attachments that I've never found any excuse to use.  (The clippers I use are manufactured by Remington, and probably cost me $30... you can probably find the same sort of thing cheaper if you shop around a bit.)

I don't use any creams, lotions, aftershaves, or anything like that - I just make sure my hair is clean and dry before shaving (it does not work well if your hair is sweaty and oily, as sweaty, oily hair seems to tangle and jam in the clippers).

It's not cue-ball smooth or anything like that, but it's comfortable for me, that annoying bald spot doesn't show up, I haven't spent any money on a haircut in years, and women seem to like the way it feels.

I've never gotten any nicks, cuts, scrapes, ingrown hairs, or razor-burn from using electric clippers.   It's never been painful or caused me any other grief, either, unless the clippers need to be cleaned and oiled (in which case, they tug the hair a bit; these clipper kits seem to usually come with a small brush for brushing hair out of the blades with, and a little oil to oil the blades with).

The only down sides are that it can be hard not to miss spots, and the missed spots really stand out if you do it yourself, skip a couple weeks, and rush things (an arrangement of mirrors that will let you see the back of your own head helps a lot in doing a thorough job), and it can be a bit messy (hair everywhere!  I stand in a dry, empty bathtub to do most of the work, so I don't get hair all over the floor and sink and everything).

I've never had to sharpen the clippers even after several years of use (I don't think I'd know how to if I did need to), but they do need to be oiled periodically with maybe two or three drops of light machine oil; the clippers came with a small, leaky bottle of oil for this purpose, but there's not much; replacement oil sold by the manufacturer can be a bit expensive.  When you run out of oil for your electric clippers, I'd suggest using the oil sold in the sporting goods section of your local S-Mart for oiling guns (e.g., "Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil" in the squeeze bottles), it seems to work nicely, isn't particularly expensive, and, as near as I can tell, is pretty much the same stuff.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Lee Pettimore replied to Mike Bernstein's discussion Can a leather jacket be altered this way?
"If I were you I'd post it on styleforum.net and then take the proceeds and buy one that fits. If you find someone to tailor it you'll probably pay more to have it altered than it's worth."
11 minutes ago
Mike Bernstein posted a discussion

Can a leather jacket be altered this way?

Six years ago I received a quality leather jacket as a wedding gift... I can't find an exact match, but it was Tom Tailor brand and pretty close to this, aside from some superficial design changes like more pockets in the front.. The basic structure, material, and cut should be the same.Now I'm a shorter, muscular guy at around 5'7", and when closed the jacket's elastic waist settles on my…See More
42 minutes ago
Will replied to Ian Wilson's discussion So what is the point of all this? in the group Out to Build Bridges
"Despite himself, he's built bridges.  We all have a common preference now."
53 minutes ago
Will replied to Chu Kim's discussion Ruled by Women
"In such a case, "mariage" has two different meanings.  (Actually, way more:  http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/mariage/49471, or…"
1 hour ago
John Lee Pettimore replied to Ian Wilson's discussion So what is the point of all this? in the group Out to Build Bridges
"Figures. Lazy."
1 hour ago
Walter B. Pewen replied to Ian Wilson's discussion So what is the point of all this? in the group Out to Build Bridges
"Just proved your stripes, John. None."
1 hour ago
Jeremy posted a photo

1967_vw_bus_01

VW Microbus.
1 hour ago
Jeremy posted a photo

jeremy2221

Me at the health food store wearing one of my flat caps.
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service