I was watching a sitcom earlier today, and the storyline consisted of a bumbling white collar dad trying to fix the washing machine. Throughout the show, his wife and children were deriding him saying "he wasn't a repairman" and "call the repairman". Of course, this all made for a humorous episode, but it set me thinking about the disappearance of the do it yourself mentality among American men. It seems to me that nobody knows how to do basic repair work anymore, much less how to put in the effort to troubleshoot basic problems. Do any of y'all have opinions on this mentality? Of course, I mean no disrespect towards white collar professions, but a man is more than his vocation. Don't know if I've been clear enough, but I would love to hear y'alls opinions.

Views: 927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't say the Jack of all trades is completely dead they still exist in small pockets usually in rural areas that aren't illegals and can do everything from yard work to roof repairs but in todays metrosexual girly man world you have to look hard. 

The main reason why it is changeing is in my opinion that more people study. When you learn a craft it´s natural that you learn to do other stuff too. When i became a electrican i also had to   learn welding, working iron, painting etc. on the job.

If you are a academic you normaly dont learn those skills unless you are really interested in it for private reasons. My circle of acquaintances mostly consists of academics and only those that learned a craft before dont suck at repairing stuff.

Also a lot of things produced for private households are made to be replaced not repaired. I wanted to repair a oven that was defect a while ago and they used some unique kind of screws, for which now screwdrivers exist.

Great topic, Stephen

Actually I think the emerging trend is the other way.  We went through a long period of prosperity in the US so we were more willing to pay someone else or just replace old items.  Now that our economy has hit some setbacks, it seems we're keeping older things running longer, often by learning to repair them ourselves. 

A statistic I heard the other day was that the average family car is 11 years old.  Much older than a decade ago.

That plus hipsters. Hate on them as much as you want but a lot of DIY trends are the result of hipsters making certain hands-on projects trendy.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jack Bauer replied to Zach.Riggs's discussion Reading
"Probably not the ideal website to find men prepared to use "archaic" as an insult. We tend to prefer "archaic" more than most. JB"
16 minutes ago
Zach.Riggs replied to Zach.Riggs's discussion Reading
"I agree with you all on "real books", I'm running out of space. I was hoping you all may say I was archaic."
2 hours ago
Liam Strain replied to Zach.Riggs's discussion Reading
"Aye - that's why I'm wondering if you'll need an alternative reader as well. The Kindle app is going to mostly only play nice with Amazon purchases, but those are not the only ebook formats or suppliers."
2 hours ago
Sir replied to Zach.Riggs's discussion Reading
"I'm pretty sure it's from the copyright law that makes foreign DVDs unplayable on US players. Amazon JP won't sell it to NA. Wd live to have an alternative src."
3 hours ago
Vendetta replied to Ian M's discussion Girlfriend was flirting with one my friends - am I over-reacting?
"Cool, still think you are wrong and overreacting."
4 hours ago
Anonymous posted a discussion

Stand Up Comedy and the Art of Humor

What's up everyone?*TLDR AT BOTTOM*I have a question for you guys: Who here has done stand up comedy once or more? If you have done so, share your experience! If you have any questions about comedy in general or performing, let me know and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability!I've started going up on stage and find it to be an exhilarating experience. I would recommend it to anyone because I believe it has a multitude of benefits. _________First of all, it can help you answer a question…See More
7 hours ago
"I prefer to read off paper. Part of the enjoyment for me are the sensory aspects of the book. Find me a tablet that feels like a book, smells like a book, lets me turn pages like a book, etc... and you might convert me full time. But we're not…"
11 hours ago
"You might have to find the epub or other file and download it manually (and maybe use an alternative reader application).  "
12 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service