I was watching a sitcom earlier today, and the storyline consisted of a bumbling white collar dad trying to fix the washing machine. Throughout the show, his wife and children were deriding him saying "he wasn't a repairman" and "call the repairman". Of course, this all made for a humorous episode, but it set me thinking about the disappearance of the do it yourself mentality among American men. It seems to me that nobody knows how to do basic repair work anymore, much less how to put in the effort to troubleshoot basic problems. Do any of y'all have opinions on this mentality? Of course, I mean no disrespect towards white collar professions, but a man is more than his vocation. Don't know if I've been clear enough, but I would love to hear y'alls opinions.

Views: 926

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't say the Jack of all trades is completely dead they still exist in small pockets usually in rural areas that aren't illegals and can do everything from yard work to roof repairs but in todays metrosexual girly man world you have to look hard. 

The main reason why it is changeing is in my opinion that more people study. When you learn a craft it´s natural that you learn to do other stuff too. When i became a electrican i also had to   learn welding, working iron, painting etc. on the job.

If you are a academic you normaly dont learn those skills unless you are really interested in it for private reasons. My circle of acquaintances mostly consists of academics and only those that learned a craft before dont suck at repairing stuff.

Also a lot of things produced for private households are made to be replaced not repaired. I wanted to repair a oven that was defect a while ago and they used some unique kind of screws, for which now screwdrivers exist.

Great topic, Stephen

Actually I think the emerging trend is the other way.  We went through a long period of prosperity in the US so we were more willing to pay someone else or just replace old items.  Now that our economy has hit some setbacks, it seems we're keeping older things running longer, often by learning to repair them ourselves. 

A statistic I heard the other day was that the average family car is 11 years old.  Much older than a decade ago.

That plus hipsters. Hate on them as much as you want but a lot of DIY trends are the result of hipsters making certain hands-on projects trendy.

Latest Activity

Seanwm42 replied to Seanwm42's discussion The Manliest of Introductions
"Likewise, Sir. Thank you!"
9 minutes ago
Mongoose replied to Seanwm42's discussion The Manliest of Introductions
"Greetings and welcome, Sean. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!"
15 minutes ago
Seanwm42 posted a discussion

The Manliest of Introductions

Good Day Everyone,  They suggest that I introduce myself so here it goes. My name is Sean, I am a drafting/design technician for a wholesale lumber company based in Oregon. That's what I do for money. I also enjoy a good book, a good action flick, some physical exercise (no matter the form). I have power lifted, cross-fitted, hiked, team sported, rock climbed, surfed, skated, you name it, I have tried my hand. "jack of all trades, master of none" as they say. I play music and sing, something I…See More
24 minutes ago
Seanwm42 updated their profile
28 minutes ago
Suburban Sentinel replied to John Smith's discussion Home Organization? I need help!
"That's pretty much it!"
1 hour ago
Shane A updated their profile
1 hour ago
Profile Iconali raha, Seanwm42, Scott Hibbs and 10 more joined Art of Manliness
2 hours ago
Sir replied to Joshua Paul Hood's discussion How can I help a friend?
"I do. The way to be helpful is to be, or provide, someone she can call when she is thinking of taking a drink.  Not to give advice beyond "OK, so you feel like drinking, but you're not going to, right?" AA is a suggestion too. If…"
2 hours ago

© 2016   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service