I was watching a sitcom earlier today, and the storyline consisted of a bumbling white collar dad trying to fix the washing machine. Throughout the show, his wife and children were deriding him saying "he wasn't a repairman" and "call the repairman". Of course, this all made for a humorous episode, but it set me thinking about the disappearance of the do it yourself mentality among American men. It seems to me that nobody knows how to do basic repair work anymore, much less how to put in the effort to troubleshoot basic problems. Do any of y'all have opinions on this mentality? Of course, I mean no disrespect towards white collar professions, but a man is more than his vocation. Don't know if I've been clear enough, but I would love to hear y'alls opinions.

Views: 938

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't say the Jack of all trades is completely dead they still exist in small pockets usually in rural areas that aren't illegals and can do everything from yard work to roof repairs but in todays metrosexual girly man world you have to look hard. 

The main reason why it is changeing is in my opinion that more people study. When you learn a craft it´s natural that you learn to do other stuff too. When i became a electrican i also had to   learn welding, working iron, painting etc. on the job.

If you are a academic you normaly dont learn those skills unless you are really interested in it for private reasons. My circle of acquaintances mostly consists of academics and only those that learned a craft before dont suck at repairing stuff.

Also a lot of things produced for private households are made to be replaced not repaired. I wanted to repair a oven that was defect a while ago and they used some unique kind of screws, for which now screwdrivers exist.

Great topic, Stephen

Actually I think the emerging trend is the other way.  We went through a long period of prosperity in the US so we were more willing to pay someone else or just replace old items.  Now that our economy has hit some setbacks, it seems we're keeping older things running longer, often by learning to repair them ourselves. 

A statistic I heard the other day was that the average family car is 11 years old.  Much older than a decade ago.

That plus hipsters. Hate on them as much as you want but a lot of DIY trends are the result of hipsters making certain hands-on projects trendy.

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Braeden's discussion Star Trek or Star Wars? in the group The Great Debate
"Fair point, but if God told you he was going to erase either SW or ST from existence, and made you choose, which one would you spare?"
7 hours ago
Way2Good replied to Josh's discussion Armpits shaving or not?
"Trim - definitely trim"
8 hours ago
Poe Dameron left a comment for Arjan
"This time of year I remain shirtless 24 hours a day everywhere I can get away with it"
9 hours ago
Joseph Robert replied to Braeden's discussion Star Trek or Star Wars? in the group The Great Debate
"Neither is better. They are so very different. Star Trek is a serialized episodic TV show that hits on great themes of life in 45 minute bursts over 50 years. TV has seen nothing else like it. The movies were OK, but it was the television series…"
9 hours ago
Poe Dameron replied to Arjan's discussion Shirtless Around Women in the group The Shirtless Man
"Most of the time I am only shirtless around men since they won't think I'm flirting with them like women would. And it does feel good to be able to go shirtless more often now that it's getting warmer where I live"
9 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Braeden's discussion Star Trek or Star Wars? in the group The Great Debate
"This is one of those comments that sound so ridiculous that I think it's very probable that we are all misunderstanding it."
11 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Pale Horse's discussion "Fake News" in the group The Great Debate
11 hours ago
Sir replied to Braeden's discussion Star Trek or Star Wars? in the group The Great Debate
"In a sense they are in diff universes, the Federations and the Empires.  But of course they both take  place in our universe, on the tube and the silver screen.  Surely it's ok to talk abt them as what they are,…"
11 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service