Wax, Clay, Pomade, Putty, Paste, Gum - has anyone else built a collection of hair styling products in the little round containers? Whenever a new product hits the shelf, I have to try it.

I have really thick hair, so I usually need a product with very strong hold. Some of my must have products are:

American Crew - Defining Paste

Alberto - Texturising Gum

Bedhead - Matte Separation

Redken For Men - Working Wax Manuever

Since I have tried every product under the sun, I have noticed that many cheap products are just as good as the really expensive ones. In fact, one product I loved - was actually made by Gillette and was called Precision Putty. Gillette's hair products didn't take off, so it was discontinued, but it was a fanastic product.

Currently I am trying Old Spice's new hair styling product line - so I will let you know what I think.

So is anyone else a little obsessed with hair styling products?

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally understand. Is there a particular matte wax brand that you like best? I highly recommend this one:

Tigi B For Men Matte Separation Workable Wax

I've tried putties, waxes, creams, sticks, glues (etc.) but cheap gel is always my preference. Used sparingly, it does the job without making me look like a greaser.

Cool if that is what you like best. For me, I prefer a matte look and I find gel gives more of a slick shine look.

I am curious - what made the cheap gel better than the expensive ones?

The hold. I have thick hair. I've got a Wooster-ish haircut so the top is longer. Most products don't have the hold I want for my hair. For whatever reason, cheap gels are usually thicker or more dense and work best.

Runny gels don't hold at all or not long enough, waxes and putties and sticks usually leave clumps and I don't like the feeling those products leave on my skin, creams are usually just as ineffective as runny gels. Mousse is useless like tits on a nun and it flakes.

I also do not want to spend much time on my hair so thick gels let me get the look I want within a few strokes of the comb (or my fingers) whereas everything else seems to require a lot of work and combining products. 

I totally understand - with all the products out there, everyone has a preference with what works best for their hair.

My wife loves that Ain't Nobody Got Time For That lady.

Water from my tap, and a brush.... Anything more is preening...

I don't use many, but when I do, it's either:

American crew pomade

Groom & Clean

Depending on what my intent is. I have pretty fine hair, so I just need something to give it a little shape/body - I don't need much hold. Just massage in, and comb (or hand style) as normal. 

I'm a huge fan of American Crew products, lately the Forming Cream and Fiber.  I usually go for a medium to strong (but not gel-stiff) hold and don't like anything super-shiny.  A much lower-cost alternative that I found works surprisingly well is Suave Professionals Men's Styling Paste.  It claims to be similar to AC Defining Paste, but I would not go that far.  The hold is a little less, but the price is a lot less at $4 per 1.75 oz puck.  Good luck finding it on a shelf though- I ordered a 3-pack via Amazon several months ago.

I tried Groom & Clean per AoM's article on oldschool hair products. Hands down my favorite.

I was a big fan of American Crew products until they recently discontinued the Tea Tree shampoo and replaced it with that foul smelling Daily Moisturizing shampoo. It now smells like a cross between a sickly sweet kitchen cleaner and a feminine hygiene product. I complained to the company (which appears to be based in Korea (??)) and received a response that said essentially they consider the old Tea Tree shampoo equivalent to the new Daily Moisturizing formula. Blech.

I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

For mustache wax, I use Rock-a-Billy Rub, and for beard oil, I lean towards those with pine or forest scents.

I wear a pompadour style.

Some of my favorites are:

Suavecito Pomade- Good hold with high shine. Probably my favorite pomade out currently.

Krew Comb- I love this stuff if I am just wanting to put something in my hair for added definition and hold, not going all out with the greaser look.

Murray's Pomade- Good in a pinch and cheap as heck.

Krew 

Pocket comb and a brush; that is all.

RSS

Latest Activity

Harry David replied to Chad's discussion What does being hairy mean to you? in the group Hairy Men
"I like being hairy too.  There is a very masculine feeling with it.  I have hair on my whole body except my ass...go figure."
1 hour ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Daniel's discussion What is a cheap skill/trade to learn that is high in demand?
"Gloryhole Squeegee operator at the San Francisco Heavy Petting zoo. "
2 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Daniel's discussion What is a cheap skill/trade to learn that is high in demand?
"Plumber, as I hear all you need to know is that "water runs downhill". And don't chew your fingernails. "
2 hours ago
"Just depends on where your talents are. "
2 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to John Muir's discussion Determining Retail and Wholesale Pricepoints
"Depends on the product, and widely.  In the wine business, it's roughly a third everytime it changes hands (in the U.S.) (with the exception of restaurants, which serve by the glass at about 150 percent, in general)  My advice based…"
2 hours ago
Michael D. Denny replied to Regular Joe's discussion G-Spot Officially Declared A Myth
"The G spot certainly exists.   It is located anywhere that I touch a woman. "
2 hours ago
Nathanael replied to Nathanael's discussion Common-sense gun laws, what would they look like for you? in the group The Great Debate
"I didn't realize I need stats to offer a list of policy suggestions and possible negotiation points.  I do reference crime rates, but those are so well known I don't think it's necessary to cite them. Human lives?  Well, I…"
2 hours ago
Harry David joined Chad's group
Thumbnail

Hairy Men

The current trend in fashion is to be hairless and do do whatever necessary to remove hair from your body.  I am proud of my hair! Be proud if your hairy body too. Wear your membership to this group likes badge of honor.See More
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service