Wax, Clay, Pomade, Putty, Paste, Gum - has anyone else built a collection of hair styling products in the little round containers? Whenever a new product hits the shelf, I have to try it.

I have really thick hair, so I usually need a product with very strong hold. Some of my must have products are:

American Crew - Defining Paste

Alberto - Texturising Gum

Bedhead - Matte Separation

Redken For Men - Working Wax Manuever

Since I have tried every product under the sun, I have noticed that many cheap products are just as good as the really expensive ones. In fact, one product I loved - was actually made by Gillette and was called Precision Putty. Gillette's hair products didn't take off, so it was discontinued, but it was a fanastic product.

Currently I am trying Old Spice's new hair styling product line - so I will let you know what I think.

So is anyone else a little obsessed with hair styling products?

Views: 631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally understand. Is there a particular matte wax brand that you like best? I highly recommend this one:

Tigi B For Men Matte Separation Workable Wax

I've tried putties, waxes, creams, sticks, glues (etc.) but cheap gel is always my preference. Used sparingly, it does the job without making me look like a greaser.

Cool if that is what you like best. For me, I prefer a matte look and I find gel gives more of a slick shine look.

I am curious - what made the cheap gel better than the expensive ones?

The hold. I have thick hair. I've got a Wooster-ish haircut so the top is longer. Most products don't have the hold I want for my hair. For whatever reason, cheap gels are usually thicker or more dense and work best.

Runny gels don't hold at all or not long enough, waxes and putties and sticks usually leave clumps and I don't like the feeling those products leave on my skin, creams are usually just as ineffective as runny gels. Mousse is useless like tits on a nun and it flakes.

I also do not want to spend much time on my hair so thick gels let me get the look I want within a few strokes of the comb (or my fingers) whereas everything else seems to require a lot of work and combining products. 

I totally understand - with all the products out there, everyone has a preference with what works best for their hair.

My wife loves that Ain't Nobody Got Time For That lady.

Water from my tap, and a brush.... Anything more is preening...

I don't use many, but when I do, it's either:

American crew pomade

Groom & Clean

Depending on what my intent is. I have pretty fine hair, so I just need something to give it a little shape/body - I don't need much hold. Just massage in, and comb (or hand style) as normal. 

I'm a huge fan of American Crew products, lately the Forming Cream and Fiber.  I usually go for a medium to strong (but not gel-stiff) hold and don't like anything super-shiny.  A much lower-cost alternative that I found works surprisingly well is Suave Professionals Men's Styling Paste.  It claims to be similar to AC Defining Paste, but I would not go that far.  The hold is a little less, but the price is a lot less at $4 per 1.75 oz puck.  Good luck finding it on a shelf though- I ordered a 3-pack via Amazon several months ago.

I tried Groom & Clean per AoM's article on oldschool hair products. Hands down my favorite.

I was a big fan of American Crew products until they recently discontinued the Tea Tree shampoo and replaced it with that foul smelling Daily Moisturizing shampoo. It now smells like a cross between a sickly sweet kitchen cleaner and a feminine hygiene product. I complained to the company (which appears to be based in Korea (??)) and received a response that said essentially they consider the old Tea Tree shampoo equivalent to the new Daily Moisturizing formula. Blech.

I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

For mustache wax, I use Rock-a-Billy Rub, and for beard oil, I lean towards those with pine or forest scents.

I wear a pompadour style.

Some of my favorites are:

Suavecito Pomade- Good hold with high shine. Probably my favorite pomade out currently.

Krew Comb- I love this stuff if I am just wanting to put something in my hair for added definition and hold, not going all out with the greaser look.

Murray's Pomade- Good in a pinch and cheap as heck.

Krew 

Pocket comb and a brush; that is all.

RSS

Latest Activity

Satanist Dan added a discussion to the group AoM Secrets and Mysteries
Thumbnail

Rituals of a supportive nature.

When one hears of the occult, mythologies, and "pagan" religion, coming from the Christianized western world, it's not a good thing that comes to mind. It is, however, that most occult persons align themselves with "White magic", and even Satanism has a Ritual of Compassion, attached below... But I've done many rituals of compassion, and in the end even if you're not a MAGIC MISSILE person, it's still very comforting to one that someone took time out of their lives, did a ritual - a set…See More
1 hour ago
Stein replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Saw St . Vincent last weekend with Bill Murray in a fantastic role. So Fury the week before. Could not keep my eyes off the screen."
2 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to Joshua Whitworth's discussion Prayers and Ideas for struggling men. in the group Christian Men
"It's really just a prayer request. If you don't mind taking a few seconds to stop and pray for me and keeping my emotions in check I guess that would be greatly appreciated. And I will pray for anything you need also. Sorry if the main…"
2 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to Joshua Whitworth's discussion Prayers and Ideas for struggling men. in the group Christian Men
"Haha as helpful as that would be, prayers will suffice I'm sure. But I will think about this comment before I do anything too douchey."
3 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"In my opinion, I see Christianity as great fire insurance, but it's way more than that. If you're being moral, then you want to help everyone. If you want to help everyone then you want to carry out the Great Commission (go and make…"
3 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth added a discussion to the group Christian Men
Thumbnail

Prayers and Ideas for struggling men.

I know this isn't your typical theological question, but I feel it can be helpful. I personally need some prayer. I am struggling with guidance. I seem go be having some relationship trouble. I firmly believe God put this woman in my life to be wife one day (when funds and scheduling allow), but I keep picking fights about stupid things. I would like some prayer for guidance and how I should act. Thanks guys. I hope this thread ends up being a way for all of us guys to ask for some prayers.
3 hours ago
Paul Martin replied to James Sullivan's discussion Strange sexual dreams?
"Dreams happen my friend. I to have had an erotic dream focused on a woman from a long time ago that I never had a relationship with. Meditate on it, dreams are merely a symbol that only you can decode."
3 hours ago
benson marco posted a status
""
5 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service