Hello, gentleman.
This is my first  post in this forum after lurking for good year or so. I have a problem. The problem is me and I do not know how to handle it.

I am 23 year old, studying History in College. After I finished high school, I been working off and on for two years, mostly very low paid part time jobs. Noone gave me a chance and I did not really enjoy a company of people in those jobs. I decided to go to college, study History because I like it. First I was rejected, second try they accepted me.

Now I am in the middle of exam period and as always I am struglling as much as one can. Ever since I started college I slowly began to hate History and.. still there were classes which I enjoyed so after two years you could easily see I was most active student among those who studied along me, during seminars I was more active than all of rest of students together. Funny part is ,out of 30 students, 21 were kicked already and from rest of those 7 (excluding me) not even one want to be a real historian, yet their grades are hundreed perccent better than mine. When it comes to exams I just failed badly. I have trouble keeping focus on studying and I am always procrastinating and then I am mad at myself cuz I did not study.. and all over again like a vicious circle.
The problem is ...I do not want to get kicked, but I can not find a will to study. And it is all just getting worse and worse. I do not know what to do. I feel like I am not happy in my life but I am scared to change it and I believe that is what affects my studium as well. It is like I lost thread of life.

I am probably not even asking for help, just needed to tell someone. Thank you for bothering.

Views: 675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another respondent told him to finish the degree, get it out of the way, and then start fighting other, more qualified because they have the appropriate degree, people for jobs.  Kind of not a bright idea if you ask me especially if you're not sure you want the history degree.  There is nothing wrong with changing the direction of your life especially when so young and getting deep into debt for a worthless degree that you didn't really want is kind of un-smart, especially if you end up with a job that won't help you pay the debt.

To be clear, I told him to choose a soft major he likes and get it out of the way. 

Though I don't think you could give me a definitive list of qualities a Literature degree would give over a History one, or vice versa, for the job market one will face with only a BA/BS.  Both focus on research, writing, and being able to make your point.

They are great traits to have, but they are not exclusive to one such liberal arts degree over the other.

Debt is already incurred most likely.  

Any degree trumps no degree, the right degree trumps any degree.

As to I don't know what I want to do with my life.

Really that is an age old question, and as you age for many it is still the question.

This may not be (and probably isn't) the root of your dilemma, but establishing good study habits is a must. Search online for study guides, not for the subject at hand, but for studying itself.

Being a good student is possible even without a passion for the subject. AoM even has some great sources. If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading the AoM article about finite willpower.

You can't just cram your brain full of information all in one sitting, you'll burn out, and will probably remember less that 1/4 of the information. Just as you can't get shredded in the gym with 3 hours of effort, no matter how hard you try.

So, study skills will help. Learn how to learn better, and the internet will be your friend in this. 

I was also a history major, and I survived a similar cut from 25 down to 8 one semester. My professor enjoyed bragging about how hard her class was, and she respected me for sticking with it. I also respect her for being the most demanding person I've ever had to work under. 

That being said, a History degree is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you probably won't be working with history as a career. On the other, you are learning several skills that make you a great future employee and even manager. My fellow history grads have ended up in all kinds of fields: teaching, retail, banking. I ended up being a Library Director. 

That's the thing about soft majors. English, History, Business...they leave you a lot of options. You will just be competing for those jobs with far more people than you would with a more specialized degree. 

If you are going the soft major route, study what you like and get your degree over with. Then get out there and start fighting for jobs. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Carl Monster replied to Carl Monster's discussion Semper Virilus for those 50 and over in the group Men Over 50
"I believe the question was any change in course, not always necessarily for the bad."
15 minutes ago
Shane replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"The Feds don't push Common Core. I was incorrect in stating the Feds even endorsed Common Core. They don't. Here's the score sheet for Race to the…"
24 minutes ago
Henry H. replied to Carl Monster's discussion Semper Virilus for those 50 and over in the group Men Over 50
"Love the pic!   The wonder and genius of dogs! To answer your question, I remember two times I made decisions that adversely affected my life's path.  1) In 8th grade I was the only male finalist in the school spelling bee.…"
47 minutes ago
Shawn added a discussion to the group Real Shaving
Thumbnail

Has Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood changed?

I've used Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood scented shaving cream for several years now. I was surprised when a new container I'd just purchased looked and smelled differently. The cream is "wetter" than it used to be and the smell has changed quite a bit.I just ordered another container hoping it was just a bad lot, but it's the same.Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me getting old or something?See More
57 minutes ago
Shawn updated their profile
59 minutes ago
Shane replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"Antho"
1 hour ago
Shawn joined Matthew Jones's group
Thumbnail

Real Shaving

For all those who know the pleasure, ritual and value of a real shave.See More
1 hour ago
Jack Bauer replied to Vytautas's discussion What Do We Learn From History?
"I'm more of a bystander on Common Core.  I have objections on principle, but we're unaffected. If I were in one of the 46 States that adopted it, there'd be someone besides the Feds for me to blame.  But, the Feds are…"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service