Hello, gentleman.
This is my first  post in this forum after lurking for good year or so. I have a problem. The problem is me and I do not know how to handle it.

I am 23 year old, studying History in College. After I finished high school, I been working off and on for two years, mostly very low paid part time jobs. Noone gave me a chance and I did not really enjoy a company of people in those jobs. I decided to go to college, study History because I like it. First I was rejected, second try they accepted me.

Now I am in the middle of exam period and as always I am struglling as much as one can. Ever since I started college I slowly began to hate History and.. still there were classes which I enjoyed so after two years you could easily see I was most active student among those who studied along me, during seminars I was more active than all of rest of students together. Funny part is ,out of 30 students, 21 were kicked already and from rest of those 7 (excluding me) not even one want to be a real historian, yet their grades are hundreed perccent better than mine. When it comes to exams I just failed badly. I have trouble keeping focus on studying and I am always procrastinating and then I am mad at myself cuz I did not study.. and all over again like a vicious circle.
The problem is ...I do not want to get kicked, but I can not find a will to study. And it is all just getting worse and worse. I do not know what to do. I feel like I am not happy in my life but I am scared to change it and I believe that is what affects my studium as well. It is like I lost thread of life.

I am probably not even asking for help, just needed to tell someone. Thank you for bothering.

Views: 659

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another respondent told him to finish the degree, get it out of the way, and then start fighting other, more qualified because they have the appropriate degree, people for jobs.  Kind of not a bright idea if you ask me especially if you're not sure you want the history degree.  There is nothing wrong with changing the direction of your life especially when so young and getting deep into debt for a worthless degree that you didn't really want is kind of un-smart, especially if you end up with a job that won't help you pay the debt.

To be clear, I told him to choose a soft major he likes and get it out of the way. 

Though I don't think you could give me a definitive list of qualities a Literature degree would give over a History one, or vice versa, for the job market one will face with only a BA/BS.  Both focus on research, writing, and being able to make your point.

They are great traits to have, but they are not exclusive to one such liberal arts degree over the other.

Debt is already incurred most likely.  

Any degree trumps no degree, the right degree trumps any degree.

As to I don't know what I want to do with my life.

Really that is an age old question, and as you age for many it is still the question.

This may not be (and probably isn't) the root of your dilemma, but establishing good study habits is a must. Search online for study guides, not for the subject at hand, but for studying itself.

Being a good student is possible even without a passion for the subject. AoM even has some great sources. If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading the AoM article about finite willpower.

You can't just cram your brain full of information all in one sitting, you'll burn out, and will probably remember less that 1/4 of the information. Just as you can't get shredded in the gym with 3 hours of effort, no matter how hard you try.

So, study skills will help. Learn how to learn better, and the internet will be your friend in this. 

I was also a history major, and I survived a similar cut from 25 down to 8 one semester. My professor enjoyed bragging about how hard her class was, and she respected me for sticking with it. I also respect her for being the most demanding person I've ever had to work under. 

That being said, a History degree is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you probably won't be working with history as a career. On the other, you are learning several skills that make you a great future employee and even manager. My fellow history grads have ended up in all kinds of fields: teaching, retail, banking. I ended up being a Library Director. 

That's the thing about soft majors. English, History, Business...they leave you a lot of options. You will just be competing for those jobs with far more people than you would with a more specialized degree. 

If you are going the soft major route, study what you like and get your degree over with. Then get out there and start fighting for jobs. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Satanist Dan added a discussion to the group AoM Secrets and Mysteries
Thumbnail

Rituals of a supportive nature.

When one hears of the occult, mythologies, and "pagan" religion, coming from the Christianized western world, it's not a good thing that comes to mind. It is, however, that most occult persons align themselves with "White magic", and even Satanism has a Ritual of Compassion, attached below... But I've done many rituals of compassion, and in the end even if you're not a MAGIC MISSILE person, it's still very comforting to one that someone took time out of their lives, did a ritual - a set…See More
2 hours ago
Stein replied to Jack Bauer's discussion What'cha watchin'? Your manly entertainment recommendations, reviews and discussions ...
"Saw St . Vincent last weekend with Bill Murray in a fantastic role. So Fury the week before. Could not keep my eyes off the screen."
2 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to Joshua Whitworth's discussion Prayers and Ideas for struggling men. in the group Christian Men
"It's really just a prayer request. If you don't mind taking a few seconds to stop and pray for me and keeping my emotions in check I guess that would be greatly appreciated. And I will pray for anything you need also. Sorry if the main…"
3 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to Joshua Whitworth's discussion Prayers and Ideas for struggling men. in the group Christian Men
"Haha as helpful as that would be, prayers will suffice I'm sure. But I will think about this comment before I do anything too douchey."
4 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth replied to TheCommishGordon's discussion Serious questions from a Christian in the group Christian Men
"In my opinion, I see Christianity as great fire insurance, but it's way more than that. If you're being moral, then you want to help everyone. If you want to help everyone then you want to carry out the Great Commission (go and make…"
4 hours ago
Joshua Whitworth added a discussion to the group Christian Men
Thumbnail

Prayers and Ideas for struggling men.

I know this isn't your typical theological question, but I feel it can be helpful. I personally need some prayer. I am struggling with guidance. I seem go be having some relationship trouble. I firmly believe God put this woman in my life to be wife one day (when funds and scheduling allow), but I keep picking fights about stupid things. I would like some prayer for guidance and how I should act. Thanks guys. I hope this thread ends up being a way for all of us guys to ask for some prayers.
4 hours ago
Paul Martin replied to James Sullivan's discussion Strange sexual dreams?
"Dreams happen my friend. I to have had an erotic dream focused on a woman from a long time ago that I never had a relationship with. Meditate on it, dreams are merely a symbol that only you can decode."
4 hours ago
benson marco posted a status
""
6 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service