First off, for the few who may somehow remember me from a few months ago, it's good to see you again. I've been told that I like to romanticize my stories, so I apologize ahead of time for what could be a long post. I'm just in the mood to use these early hours to project some thoughts for anyone who cares to listen.

I am a young man in my early 20's that has always been raised and taught that many of the old ways are, and always will be, the best. Whether it's in how I dress, how I eat, my work ethic, or how I speak, my parents, grandparents, and a couple of close uncles made sure I was given a good example to follow. I have no problem with progression and a safe sense of open mindedness, but there are still some issues I've seen first hand as an adult where I feel like our society and culture are completely broken, and don't look to get better any time soon. One of those issues being the art (or should I say lost art) of proper communication and etiquette. 

I have a new part time job to help pay for school where I am constantly working right in the middle of people several years my junior. Because of the facility that it is, I see many families together and therefore see how the different generations engage one another in conversation, and how truly depressing it is to me. I realize that some are simply not good conversationalists, but it has also gotten to the point where people can barely get points across, and that's if the point is even worth getting across to begin with. I have never been one to curse or use foul language, and therefore am more turned off by it than most, but I truly feel that the increased use of it has helped many (youths especially) to become lazy and thoughtless with their words. Now I grew up with adult males in the family using those "four letter words" as we call them, especially when they were together and a little alcohol was there to lighten the spirit, but they knew there was a line you didn't cross. It was an unspoken rule, but a definite rule none the less. When ladies enter the room, you straighten up and speak properly. 

Yesterday I was in the company of four young adults, two boys, two girls. When one of the two boys stepped outside to jump in the conversation, he immediately started in with some very foul language. The kind of mouth you don't kiss your mother with for sure. The other went right along with it, and we had two young ladies no older than 17 listening to these two boys talk about their own genitalia in a jokative, yet very crude manner. It was at this point that the "old man" in me kicked in, and I got onto both of them for speaking that way in front of the two young ladies. I was made fun of for the rest of the evening by the two boys as being "injected with the 70's". Though being considered old fashioned has never been an insult to me, it still was incredible to me how young people speak to one another with no regard to what were once definite manners. I don't think it's any surprise that these people who grow up together rarely end up having deep respect for one another.

It seems that much of those hard and fast rules that the adults taught us even as little as ten years ago have suddenly faded away, and with it, I see a decline in our society. There is little to no accountability. Regardless of the situation, it is always someone else's fault, and common respect is completely out the window. The adults talk and the kids refuse to listen. They have no idea that what they are doing is wrong, because no one has ever bothered to tell them it is, and it has given birth to a world where 12 year-olds run around seeing no problem with crude sexual innuendo emphasized with the use of F bombs. While I do feel that foul language should most always be completely avoided, I don't believe my concern for poor communication can be solved just by cutting out the colorful words. I think it runs much deeper than that. I think it's about time more people start saying to these young, hopefully promising adults that you don't talk like that in front of a lady. 

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The Daoists have a great image of living life like water. Instead of trying to force yourself on things and people, the Daoist sage would say to remain flexible, and act in accordance with what the situation demands, adapting to your environment, like water gently flowing downhill. Probably one of, if not the wisest thing I've ever heard."

Bruce Lee has a similar perspective about water. Look it up on YouTube. It's worth it.

From another source, compatible with the King, Warrior, Magician, Lover perspective:  there is the uphill path, the warrior, struggling and conquering and building what you want or need built.  And the downhill path, the king, doing what comes naturally from a good state of being.

And neither is stupid, neither is superior.  Different times, different situations.  Use 'em both.

You're either 15 or 15. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Darren Holte replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"Just a few thoughts. Why lie at all ? Your deadlines are not your suppliers concern. Every good plan has cushion and contingency.  I.e. your project deadline is july 31st. You need ten thousand widgets in your warehouse by july 15th in order…"
1 hour ago
Native Son replied to Portnoy's discussion Latest in Health Care in the group The Great Debate
"One thing I noticed about the entire debacle. In March, 2016, then Mr. Trump released a seven point healthcare plan outline that he wanted Congress to adopt. As far as I can tell, the only parts of his proposals that showed up in either the House or…"
3 hours ago
Native Son replied to Specs's discussion I need some work advice.
"Cool your jets.  This hill ain't worth dying on.  Let it slide, but make damn sure your emails actually get sent.  (I had a similar 'went to draft' email situation when I went to Windows 10.  A number, but not all,…"
4 hours ago
Native Son replied to Danny's discussion Militaria
"Just don't let the hobby take over and run your life to the exclusion of all else.  You do want to have provenance on stuff.  There's lots of reproduction stuff around, especially since "military recreating" became a…"
4 hours ago
Jay D replied to Portnoy's discussion Integrity
"Were i want to get at is less the lying part and more the part were we put other people under pressure. From the business perspective it makes perfect sense to put people under pressure so they make deadlines so your projects or your company…"
12 hours ago
Profile IconCaberry, Eder Prado, Moses Vandenberg and 9 more joined Art of Manliness
12 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Native Son's discussion Political and Personal Advice from Rome. in the group The Great Debate
"?"
13 hours ago
Michael Hoogkamer updated their profile
13 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service