First off, for the few who may somehow remember me from a few months ago, it's good to see you again. I've been told that I like to romanticize my stories, so I apologize ahead of time for what could be a long post. I'm just in the mood to use these early hours to project some thoughts for anyone who cares to listen.

I am a young man in my early 20's that has always been raised and taught that many of the old ways are, and always will be, the best. Whether it's in how I dress, how I eat, my work ethic, or how I speak, my parents, grandparents, and a couple of close uncles made sure I was given a good example to follow. I have no problem with progression and a safe sense of open mindedness, but there are still some issues I've seen first hand as an adult where I feel like our society and culture are completely broken, and don't look to get better any time soon. One of those issues being the art (or should I say lost art) of proper communication and etiquette. 

I have a new part time job to help pay for school where I am constantly working right in the middle of people several years my junior. Because of the facility that it is, I see many families together and therefore see how the different generations engage one another in conversation, and how truly depressing it is to me. I realize that some are simply not good conversationalists, but it has also gotten to the point where people can barely get points across, and that's if the point is even worth getting across to begin with. I have never been one to curse or use foul language, and therefore am more turned off by it than most, but I truly feel that the increased use of it has helped many (youths especially) to become lazy and thoughtless with their words. Now I grew up with adult males in the family using those "four letter words" as we call them, especially when they were together and a little alcohol was there to lighten the spirit, but they knew there was a line you didn't cross. It was an unspoken rule, but a definite rule none the less. When ladies enter the room, you straighten up and speak properly. 

Yesterday I was in the company of four young adults, two boys, two girls. When one of the two boys stepped outside to jump in the conversation, he immediately started in with some very foul language. The kind of mouth you don't kiss your mother with for sure. The other went right along with it, and we had two young ladies no older than 17 listening to these two boys talk about their own genitalia in a jokative, yet very crude manner. It was at this point that the "old man" in me kicked in, and I got onto both of them for speaking that way in front of the two young ladies. I was made fun of for the rest of the evening by the two boys as being "injected with the 70's". Though being considered old fashioned has never been an insult to me, it still was incredible to me how young people speak to one another with no regard to what were once definite manners. I don't think it's any surprise that these people who grow up together rarely end up having deep respect for one another.

It seems that much of those hard and fast rules that the adults taught us even as little as ten years ago have suddenly faded away, and with it, I see a decline in our society. There is little to no accountability. Regardless of the situation, it is always someone else's fault, and common respect is completely out the window. The adults talk and the kids refuse to listen. They have no idea that what they are doing is wrong, because no one has ever bothered to tell them it is, and it has given birth to a world where 12 year-olds run around seeing no problem with crude sexual innuendo emphasized with the use of F bombs. While I do feel that foul language should most always be completely avoided, I don't believe my concern for poor communication can be solved just by cutting out the colorful words. I think it runs much deeper than that. I think it's about time more people start saying to these young, hopefully promising adults that you don't talk like that in front of a lady. 

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I yelled at him for being an asshole towards me when I was trying to give a damn about his dog left in a vehicle in the Houston heat. I didn't yell at him for keeping the dog in there, nor running the vehicle. Just being an entitled prick who expects to get his way and have no one ever question him.

If he wants to waste gas and screw up his engine by leaving it running, it doesn't matter to me at all.

I hate that. A simple, "thanks for looking out" goes a long way.

Practical question: was the air conditioning on in this running vehicle? If so, then...why WAS it your business? 

If the dog was in a cool, safe environment, you bullied a stranger with no cause. 

That wasn't the point. I thought that the little cartoon said it pretty well.

We understand your point.  Your point was that cussing gave you your preferred outcome, but your decision making put you into a completely avoidable situation that shouldn't have even required swearing in the first place.

Meh, double down on being an asshole to me when I show some compassion and try to help out, I say something. I'll do it time and time again. My father was there and would have when he was my age. You have a problem with it, says more about you than me(and it is pretty obvious I don't mean that in a good way)

Hell, I'm the guy that stopped on the Beltway(insanely busy highway), on a bridge, got out and saved a kitten stuck in the median. Was it the best thing? Was it the smartest thing? I don't care, I did something, it is who I am.

You gave complete polar opposite examples here. 

You clearly handled the dog situation in a crappy way. You go outside and see if the car is running and then make a decision from there. If you did that, you wouldn't have even had to talk to the guy.

You don't start demanding who owns the car, involving staff, and start causing a scene before you even know there is a problem. The guy wanted to eat his breakfast in peace and he is having someone talk about bashing in his car window for his dog that is relaxing in an air conditioned car.

It sounds like you just wanted to seem like you were the biggest swinging dick in the room and play hero.

The kitten thing was commendable. 

I think your anecdote says more about you than it does about the driver (and I don't mean that in a good way).

I now understand; thanks for being clear.

I might well have also threatened to call the cops and vandalize his vehicle.  But I'd expect the same response you got if I did.  Get in people's faces and they will tell you to back off.  

It sounds to me as if the bigger man in this situation was he who: 

1) safeguarded his dog in an air conditioned vehicle. 

2) didn't cause a scene to impress his out-of-town guests. 

3) didn't mistake hostility for manliness.

4) didn't provoke a stranger, then blame that stranger for "being an asshole to me."

5) answered an adult tantrum calmly and firmly. 

6) left quietly, for the peace of the other diners. 

RSS

Latest Activity

Pale Horse replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Not really but ok"
3 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Actually, southern statues are dropping left and right. "
3 hours ago
Pale Horse replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"And they've already clumsily given away their endgame. Look at the links I posted in this thread. And there's also this: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kkkby/lets-get-rid-of-mount-rushmore I have screenshot proof that original title…"
3 hours ago
Sir replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"This is the video I was trying to show in the previous post:  "
4 hours ago
Sir replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Yes. They are history (if they are old) and celebrations. I find it horrific that we're now getting into making rationales for destroying art. Like this:  memorials to the Pharaohs, self-aggrandizing hierarchs who used massive amounts of…"
4 hours ago
Daniel Rodriguez replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"Political violence isn't new to the US or the modern world. Italy had the years of lead - we're nowhere near that. The UK has a strong Antifa counter culture - they're not losing anything for it. The only reason the US goes…"
7 hours ago
Shane replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
8 hours ago
Dominic replied to Portnoy's discussion History in the group The Great Debate
"In regard to Confederate memorials, perhaps Robert E. Lee's response to an invitation to mark Gettysburg with monuments is pertinent (emphasis my own): Dear Sir--Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until to-day your letter of the…"
9 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service