How does one settle one’s mind from how life worked out vs how you thought it would go?

I have hit the point in my career that I have to wait for people to retire to advance in my company.  I grew up thinking I would career climb.  However working in a wide flat org structure has created the situation where I cannot advance.  Work / life balance is overall good.  40 hours a week, 10-20 min commute, 2 weeks off in the winter + 2 weeks leave.  Okay medical and a decent old fashioned real pension plan (Top 3 years * 2% * Years worked).

So I’m looking at 25 more years at the same position.  I know that is the way it is for many but I’m trying to settle my mind to it.  Honestly I was working and focused on work + getting a second masters.  Now that that focus is done I’m feeling scared for my son’s future and feeling a failure/trapped. 

We have our son in a Catholic School for k-8, but don’t have a good solution for High School. 

I never expected to stay in the state.  I expected to move to the West Coast. 

My wife is fine wherever she can find work and is doing great.  I’m feeling trapped with a house, a concern about my son’s future and trying to build a good life for my family. 

Thoughts of worry and feeling a failure has had me really mentally messed up. 

How does one settle one’s mind from how life worked out vs how you thought it would go?

How does one quite one’s mind?

Views: 709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, incidentally, all humans have what I call "Situational Disability." For instance, for most humans, when the power goes out at night, they are visually disabled if they have no candles or light sources. On the other hand, naked mole rats have zero visual disability in their environment. If a building is built well, a person with no legs has zero disability in that building as s/he can access any area needed, but in the next building over, due to the poor design, the same person may have a severe problem accessing areas in the building. It's the ENVIRONMENT, not the human, which causes the disability.

For those with a visual processing condition such as Dyslexia, if the instructor presents material in multiple formats, and allows the student multiple ways to access the curriculum, often there is no learning disability in that environment.

Thanks great points.  I should have said the reason I know my son has a 60% shot at learning disabilities is because I have them, Dyslexia and ADD.  So we are looking for them but also trying not to jump to the idea that he does have it.  Its a balance.  You sit there going is that a symptom or an age / developmental point?

I am stressed that he is 8 in first grade.  They held him back in kindergarten because he was not emotionally ready to handle the stress of the private catholic school.  But he is thriving and we have him in cub scouts with his age group.  He is doing fine.

I think allot of my system shock is I got done climbing a hard road.  Master in Information Systems with a cs minor in computer security.  I ended up with a 4.0 and completed in December.  I'm feeling both accomplished and locked in.

Oysters many good and yet not quite comfortable with where I am at.  In the last month I have realized we are doing better then most.  Its not perfect, nor does it match the fiction popular media shows but, yes better then most.  We have things to work on and dreams to break down into goals and metrics.

Maybe you could find a new job on the West Coast? I know that's easier saying than doing, but you could always just keep an eye out. In the mean time just do your best.... or kill the old people. The choices are endless! (jk) 

Yep that is about the plan.   Keep kicking tail at work and keep an eye for possibilities.

You got a lot on your plate bud. Have u tried smoking medical mary j? It will bring you right back in the present and then you can make proper decisions.

Stop fussing and count your blessings.  You have a lot of them. Employment with a good work/life balance, excellent pension plan, a wife who's supportive, and a child in elementary school.  Your home location vis a vis work isn't bad either...

all in all, better than a lot of people have it.

You want to know what's a pretty cruddy term of employment?

Try the entire job function of Charles, Prince of Wales.  His job is literally waiting for his Mom to die.

Be compassionate bro - life is not easy - I wish I can give further advice to the brotha but having a kid is on a different level - I is going through the same stuff - minus the kid - plus job is in limbo - wifey is doing weird shit - like today my over started throwing out all kinds of smoke and I wante to make sure that's the first thing she learns about - just to keep her safe right - and after I told her, she's like yeah it was doing it yesterday as well - I was like wtf!!! Why you didn't warn me - shit could have blown up on my face !!!! What the hell!!! So I freaked out n left the apartment and am sitting in the library typing up this message - sayin . . .

RSS

Latest Activity

Sir replied to Native Son's discussion Presidential Diss in the group Catholic Men
"Meh.  It's a job.  My boss doesn't invite me to all functions he thinks I might have a personal interest in either. "
3 minutes ago
Sir replied to Kiehn on you's discussion Reintroduction!
"Welcome back! We had initial complications as well, so I can relate."
6 minutes ago
Kiehn on you replied to Kochak's discussion E AEEEEEEEEE !!!! Kochak here.....
"Greeting!"
9 minutes ago
Kiehn on you posted a discussion

Reintroduction!

Hey everyone! It has been a while since i have been on here. I am Devin, i am married and have a daughter. My daughter Ivy was born on tuesday (5/23/17) 5 weeks early and rushed to the NICU.I decided to come back because  I now have the time. And  have found that  this site has great wealth of knowledge and support. So hello from the NICU!DevinSee More
10 minutes ago
Cthulhu's Revenge replied to Pale Horse's discussion Best Methods for Cutting Down on Sweets
"I have a big sweet tooth but I found chewing gum helps. Also, try listening to your body instead of resisting. E.g if I crave something sweet, I have an apple or other fruit. Satisfies the sweet urge. Can't help you with drinks... I drink…"
13 minutes ago
Kochak posted a discussion

E AEEEEEEEEE !!!! Kochak here.....

Greetings gentlemen !After a year or so of just reading the articles, I finally have decided to join this great community.My name - ok... last name -  is Kochak. I'm a 22 years old designer, bass player, nerd, and a proud brazilian ( Corruption! Hooray !!! )As you can see, I also have a quite strange sense of humour...Well, that's it for now... Grato desde já,KochakSee More
27 minutes ago
Native Son added a discussion to the group Catholic Men
Thumbnail

Presidential Diss

Any thoughts on how President Trump totally dissed Press Secretary Spicer on the recent trip?Situation was the formal Presidential audience with the Pope.Sean Spicer, who is Catholic, somehow didn't get included in the official Presidential Party.BUT, lower-ranking personnel on the White House communications staff were included.The "official word" was that the Vatican limits the number of persons in an official party.BUT, the Vatican has waived that limit, if requested, to allow catholics on…See More
27 minutes ago
Native Son replied to J. Exalto's discussion Globalism in the group The Great Debate
"My take on how the current administration views "Globalism" is this:  So long as the old man and his sons make money off the 1%, and his son-in-law makes money off the bottom 50%, it's all good--for them."
42 minutes ago

© 2017   Created by Brett McKay.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service